Look at 2022 Roster

I’m gonna be honest, none of those classes inspires a lot of hope. Especially not the junior or sophomore classes

presidents of the universities are the NCAA. They are not going to allow the additional expense of 10 more scholarships for football programs. Doesn't matter what happens with the NCAA as an organization, the Presidents rule the finances.

I’d rather take 10 from football and give them to baseball. Going from 11.7 to 22.7 would be huge for that sport.

Reactions: JarFly and LWSVOL
Counter for sure, Initial Counter I am not sure. He is not a HS or Juco, correct? A transfer through the portal from Florida, correct? If we had a qualifying outgoing transfer, why would he not be one of our new up to 7 allowable transfer recoveries over and above our normal 25? It is my UNDERSTANDING that the super seniors this current year and this current year only are the only exceptions to the 85 limit.

Would love to start with him and Verse, maybe more, if our attrition allows us to do so and stay under the 85. That would require a lot of attrition from our current potential returners. I do expect some guys to call it a career, some to go on medicals, and some to jump into the portal. The great unknown till semester end for some and completion of spring practice for others. Some guys we have had on schollie for 4 years may be allowed to remain, but as walkons if they like. I also don't know if any of them could have legally gained residency status and be eligible for the Hope money while they start grad school. Could they be assisted by VFL rewarding NIL deals? Can you get NIL money if not on scholarship and remain eligible? Would they be allowed to get that money to open up counters if not on the squad and not be cheating? I have googled my heart out and can't find answer to lots of this type question. We need a Recruiting and Transfer with NIL 101 course.

Not sure if a school can use these new transfers until their current counters are consumed or not. If they can I would also be interested in knowing if you can apply transfer tags to those eligible real time and save your counters for other conventional recruits. I don't even know if you can carry over counters to the next cycle anymore. That used to be kicked around a lot this time of year.

Can anybody glue the old day's to the new day's rules? Love a comprehensive rulebook or trustworthy articles to have more facts than questions. I really like things in black and white. The whole portal thing has morphed into the ONE TIME deal for all from the grad transfer exception and is very confusing since it was forced on the NCAA rules makers. The variability of state NIL laws is a real problem, I think. Ultimately, I believe the NCAA will be allowed to provide structure to meet some fairness doctrines that used to drive the rules makers, but not sure they can educate the rank and file enough right now to propose and vote. The combination of NIL and One Time introductions has caused lots of confusion.

Sorry for the War and Peace length post. Thanks in advance for those that can point me to specific rules and articles. I would also love to hear info gained by other trusted methods. I don't listen to a lot of radio and don't do blogs and normal social media stuff. Please reply to this post even if you edit out a bunch of it so I get the alert.
He is both.

He is an initial counter (and signee), as all new players are.

And yes, we can gain up to 7 additional spots from outgoing transfers and use them on HS recruits, JUCOs, and incoming transfers. He is one of those. It sounds like we'll end up self-imposing 5 spots, so we'll have 27 overall, assuming enough guys transfer which I'm sure they will (3 or 4 are already sitting in the portal and just waiting for a home).

Super Seniors only didn't count last year towards the overall counter limit of 85. It was a 1 year waiver, not yet renewed for this year.

Man we are going to lose a LOT in 2023. Heupel has to nail the transfer portal to stay in the middle of the SEC pack

Page announced he is coming back for his super senior.

Means that our core of Banks, Beasley, and Page will all be back. At minimum our lb's should be better just by increase of experience and depth.[/Brainerd.

Why does this not make me feel any better about the unit?

He is both.

He is an initial counter (and signee), as all new players are.

And yes, we can gain up to 7 additional spots from outgoing transfers and use them on HS recruits, JUCOs, and incoming transfers. He is one of those. It sounds like we'll end up self-imposing 5 spots, so we'll have 27 overall, assuming enough guys transfer which I'm sure they will (3 or 4 are already sitting in the portal and just waiting for a home).

Super Seniors only didn't count last year towards the overall counter limit of 85. It was a 1 year waiver, not yet renewed for this year.

Would it not be possible for a school to sign 25 HS and juco guys as Initial Counters and add portal transfers also, one for each successful transfer out to a D1 school up to 7 if you have room under the 85 max (unless reduced)? I know you can't pick up more HS guys with the replacement slots, so those slots are not additional Initial counters.

Would it not be possible for a school to sign 25 HS and juco guys as Initial Counters and add portal transfers also, one for each successful transfer out to a D1 school up to 7 if you have room under the 85 max (unless reduced)? I know you can't pick up more HS guys with the replacement slots, so those slots are not additional Initial counters.

yes, you can do that.. the roster numbers only thing preventing us from going after IMO

yes, you can do that.. the roster numbers only thing preventing us from going after IMO

What I am unclear on is when can you allocate the use of the replacement slots. Can we later apply them to the transfers we already have even though we do not have any earned today? Hypothetically If we stopped where we are today with signings could we apply the transfers to some portal slots once earned and carry the rest of our Initials till next cycle? Not the plan I bet but like to know our options with this new transfer thing. Not having a clue how many of our seniors will get to play the covid card next year and with a few other losses could use some extra initials.

What I am unclear on is when can you allocate the use of the replacement slots. Can we later apply them to the transfers we already have even though we do not have any earned today? Hypothetically If we stopped where we are today with signings could we apply the transfers to some portal slots once earned and carry the rest of our Initials till next cycle? Not the plan I bet but like to know our options with this new transfer thing. Not having a clue how many of our seniors will get to play the covid card next year and with a few other losses could use some extra initials.

you can take transfers right up to the start of school in the fall. I've never gotten anyone to tell me which of the players that have left us can be replaced by a transfer coming in. My understanding is, they have to have completed the fall semester and they have to be accepted into another 4 year school. I know Maurer, Hodge, Evans and Joseph are enrolled or about to be enrolled elsewhere. So we have 4 IF they finished semester at UT. Still have Bailey, Albright and Beckwith to go somewhere.

So if I've followed you, they could take 7 transfers and count them as replacements if all 7 above meet the criteria, already have two with Mincey and Neyor. They could then not sign anyone else and just go with the 20 signed on ESD saving 5 spots to back count for the 2023 class. They are not going to do that though. I suspect they will sign a few more minimum in February.

LWS, love this thread. How much effort would it take to put something like “redshirt” or “COVID year used”, or simply, “remaining years of eligibility” to this?

We have 26 Seniors, but will they all graduate next year? Or will some potentially have Redshirting as an option, or a COVID year if they want to exercise it?

LWS, love this thread. How much effort would it take to put something like “redshirt” or “COVID year used”, or simply, “remaining years of eligibility” to this?

We have 26 Seniors, but will they all graduate next year? Or will some potentially have Redshirting as an option, or a COVID year if they want to exercise it?

not hard at all. using Banks as an example, he will be a redshirt senior in 2022. It is his 5th year playing college football. Due to COVID year, he could play another year in 2023 if he desires to do so.

Total Scholarships (83)
******* 22-class Eligibility
2022 Seniors (26) Yr Active Left
Banks, Jeremy R/SR (5th) 2 Years
Beasley, Aaron SR (4th) 3 Years
Brooks, Paxton SR (5th) 2 Years
Bumphus, Latrell R/SR (6th) 1 Year
Burrell, Warren SR (4th) 3 Years
Carvin, Jerome SR (5th) 2 Years
Crawford, Jeremiah SR (4th) 3 Years
Fant, Princeton R/SR (6th) 1 Year
Flowers, Trevon SR (5th) 2 Years
Garland, Kurott R/SR (5th) 2 Years
Harris, Kingston R/SR (5th) 2 Years
Harrison, Roman SR (4th) 3 Years
Hooker, Henden R/SR (6th) 1 Year
Keyton, Ramel SR (4th) 3 Years
Labruzza, Cheyenne R/SR (6th) 1 Year
Lane, Ollie R/SR (5th) 2 Years
McCullough, Jaylen SR (4th) 3 Years
McGrath, Chase R/SR (6th) 1 Year
Milton, Joe R/SR (5th) 2 Years
Mitchell, Juwan R/SR (5th) 2 Years
Page, Solon R/SR (6th) 1 Year
Solomon, Aubrey R/SR (6th) 1 Year
Tillman, Cedric R/SR (5th) 2 Years
Warren, Jacob R/SR (5th) 2 Years
Wright, Darnell SR (4th) 3 Years
Young, Byron SR (4th) 3 Years
2022 Juniors (20)
Akporoghene, Chris R/JR (4th) 3 Years
Baron, Tyler JR (3rd) 4 Years
Davis, Dayne R/JR (4th) 3 Years
Fields, Tyus R/JR (4th) 3 Years
Garland, Kwauze R/JR (4th) 3 Years
Hadden, Kamal R/JR (4th) 3 Years
Holiday, Jimmy JR (3rd) 4 Years
Hyatt, Jalin JR (3rd) 3 Years
Lampley, Jackson R/JR (4th) 3 Years
Mays, Cooper JR (3rd) 4 Years
McDonald, Tamarion JR (3rd) 4 Years
Neyor, Isaiah R/JR (4th) 3 Years
Simmons, Elijah R/JR (4th) 3 Years
Slaughter, Doneiko JR (3rd) 4 Years
Small, Jabari JR (3rd) 4 Years
Spraggins, Javontez JR (3rd) 4 Years
Terry, Da'Jon R/JR (4th) 3 Years
Thomas, Omari JR (3rd) 4 Years
Turnage, Brandon R/JR (4th) 3 Years
Williams, Desmond R/JR (4th) 3 Years
2022 Sophomores (13)
Bailey, Dominic R/SO (3rd) 4 Years
Calloway, Jimmy R/SO (3rd) 4 Years
Charles, Christian SO (2nd) 4 Years
Eason, Bryson R/SO (3rd) 4 Years
Merrill, Walker SO (2nd) 4 Years
Mincey, Gerald R/SO (3rd) 4 Years
Mohan, William R/SO (3rd) 4 Years
Perry, Reginald R/SO (3rd) 4 Years
Robinson, James R/SO (3rd) 4 Years
Rucker, De'Shawn SO (2nd) 4 Years
Whitehead, Len'Neth R/SO (3rd) 4 Years
Willis, Aaron SO (2nd) 4 Years
Wright, Jaylen SO (2nd) 4 Years
2022 Freshman (24)
Campbell, Miles R/FR (2nd) 4 Years
Carver, JT R/FR (2nd) 4 Years
Clipper, Maurice FR 5 Years
Grant, Brian FR 5 Years
Harrison, Christian FR 5 Years
Herring, Elijah FR 5 Years
Jackson, Tayven FR 5 Years
Josephs, Joshua FR 5 Years
Mcneill, Amari R/FR (2nd) 4 Years
Miller, Cameron FR 5 Years
Nichols, Addison FR 5 Years
Nimrod, Charles FR 5 Years
Nixon, Julian R/FR (2nd) 4 Years
Parker, William R/FR (2nd) 4 Years
Pearce, James FR 5 Years
Perry, Kalib FR 5 Years
Phillips, Jordan FR 5 Years
Reddick, Masai FR 5 Years
Sampson, Dylan FR 5 Years
Thoams, Jourdan FR 5 Years
Webb, Kaleb FR 5 Years
West, Tyre FR 5 Years
White, Marquarius FR 5 Years
Williams, Justin FR 5 Years

COVID Rules
Due to COVID, the NCAA granted players playing 2020
An extra year to play. That means counting a redshirt year
players get 6 years to play 5. If a player never redshirts
his eligibility is over after 5 seasons of activity.
Hopefully, I've calculated everyone appropriately
22-class indicates what year of eligibility they are in for 2022
Yr Active indicates for 2022 what year they are in of activity
Eligibility left is how many more years they could play or redshirt keep in mind, they could leave anytime

Last edited:

VN Store

Back