Coronavirus (No politics)

Changing your tune?

Earlier you said “The vaccines should have been an afterthought... but in truth would have likely never been worth the investment... much less the political conflict they've caused.”

Plus you ignored my comment about all the lives the vaccine has saved.
Poor choice of words. I should have said a secondary concern.

Did you ignore the pre-Covid research I posted showing that leaky vaccines carry a risk of contributing to more virulent strains of viruses? So IF that is true... and then it was NOT a political proposition but a scientific one... then we may have gotten Delta which is more deadly than the original BECAUSE of the vaccines we've administered.

In short, there is no way to prove that the vaccines have been a net gain or loss in fatalities.

Poor choice of words. I should have said a secondary concern.
In short, there is no way to prove that the vaccines have been a net gain or loss in fatalities.

You can apply this thought to almost anything you want.

That's an interesting study. What it does NOT establish is that the vaccines are the only or best way of preventing severe cases. Also while "233% greater" is a "scary" looking number... they're basing their conclusion on about 90 deaths. They also show a significant correlation between deaths and comorbidities. So health problems struck twice. It made people more subject to severe cases and made them at greater risk after recovery.

The objective seems obvious- avoid severe cases.

It is also noteworthy that the causes mentioned here like organ damage parallel the reports concerning post-vaccination deaths/injuries. It seems that whether provoked by a vaccine or a severe case... the body's response does damage.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
You can apply this thought to almost anything you want.
Not really. I posted a study earlier that concluded that leaky vaccines may produce more virulent strains of viruses. You can say accurately that those who have taken the vaccine have avoided severe infections and have a lower death rate. But if the vaccines are contributing to more dangerous strains then you cannot claim that they haven't resulted in other people dying.

Instead of handwaving, do you have a counterargument? Do you want to shoot holes in that non-politicized study? There are a lot of ways to argue the data. But one that would seem to trump all others is the overall population data. Deaths this year will exceed those of last year. Obviously the virus ramped up last year however cases should be falling with over 60% of the population vaccinated... if the vaccines were as effective as advertised.

@utvols83 This is an illustration of what I posted earlier. The drugs to keep people alive and from being injured by severe symptoms should have been the FIRST priority. The vaccines should have been an afterthought... but in truth would have likely never been worth the investment... much less the political conflict they've caused.
Ok, I'm not going to attempt to respond to your last post because I don't have the time or energy to try to answer an essay's worth of stuff. I have a job and more important things to do. I swear it's your MO to respond to a small post with a book's worth of stuff just so the other person gives up because normal people don't have the time to post that much. Congrats, you win. If you're retired or disabled, then I get it. I'm not going to do it.

So, you think the vaccines are pointless failures and I think you are 100% wrong. That being said, they were working on developing treatments at the same time as developing vaccines. They could develop both. The vaccines were ready first. You need both. You don't just wait for people to get sick...you try to prevent it. At the rates that people were being hospitalized in some areas, hospitals were overwhelmed, so a vaccine that can at least keep more people out of the hospital is a GREAT thing. That has happened. At the same time, better treatment options have been developed as have new medications. That's great.

You base your opinion on the vaccines being a failure, so there's no way for us to agree. If you felt they weren't effective enough so more effort should've been steered towards treatments, then maybe I could start to see where you're coming from...but calling them an outright failure is not something I can agree with. Either way, if you weren't making this argument at the start of the pandemic, then you're strongly leaning on the benefit of hindsight in bashing those who pushed for vaccines who had no such benefit. I believe the medical community as a whole have done the best they could based of what they knew of this new virus.

Anyways, that's all I've got time for. And Rand Paul is still an a-hole (many in his own party agree).

Reactions: vollygirl and MAD
Ok, I'm not going to attempt to respond to your last post because I don't have the time or energy to try to answer an essay's worth of stuff. I have a job and more important things to do. I swear it's your MO to respond to a small post with a book's worth of stuff just so the other person gives up because normal people don't have the time to post that much. Congrats, you win. If you're retired or disabled, then I get it. I'm not going to do it.
No. It is my "MO" to show people the respect of giving them a thoughtful response based on the information available to me. And no, it is not my intent to make you "give up"... though that seems pretty convenient to you.

So, you think the vaccines are pointless failures and I think you are 100% wrong.
So you insist on building strawmen... and I think that's a bigger waste of time and effort than long responses. I have been pretty clear that the vaccines DO reduce severe cases and deaths so far. They are NOT preventing infections the way were were led to believe.

And did you ever take time to read the article about leaky vaccines? I would rather you do that an then ignore me than continue to ignore the risks and unknowns relating to the vaccines.

That being said, they were working on developing treatments at the same time as developing vaccines. They could develop both. The vaccines were ready first. You need both. You don't just wait for people to get sick...you try to prevent it. At the rates that people were being hospitalized in some areas, hospitals were overwhelmed, so a vaccine that can at least keep more people out of the hospital is a GREAT thing. That has happened. At the same time, better treatment options have been developed as have new medications. That's great.
"Operation Warp Speed" was not a plan to throw the full weight of the federal government into a pursuit of treatments. It was a make or break race to develop a vaccine. Trump got behind it but Fauci was the thinker.

If they had put that emphasis and money into treatments then those coming on line now might have been available a year ago. Time, expertise, and money are what makes these things go.

I am DEFINITELY not absolving Trump here. There were people advising him to go a different direction from Fauci. He was tasked with the responsibility of that decision and chose the wrong way. He was trying to play it "safe" with Covid but in the end a large number of voters cited his mishandling of Covid for their votes against him.

You base your opinion on the vaccines being a failure, so there's no way for us to agree.
What do you think equals success? I apologize. That should have been our starting point. To me, the smallpox vax is a "success" because it provides complete immunity to almost everyone who takes it. Flu vaccines are less effective but reduce the risks by 40-60% without significant side effects. The typical flu vaccine will give protection from a particular strain for 2 or 3 years.

I don't think you can call a vaccine a success when 40% of new cases are among the fully vaxed and the vaxed have a CFR of .03%. The Asian flu had a CFR only about 3 times greater.

If you felt they weren't effective enough so more effort should've been steered towards treatments, then maybe I could start to see where you're coming from...but calling them an outright failure is not something I can agree with. Either way, if you weren't making this argument at the start of the pandemic, then you're strongly leaning on the benefit of hindsight in bashing those who pushed for vaccines who had no such benefit. I believe the medical community as a whole have done the best they could based of what they knew of this new virus.
Not targeting the whole medical community. Targeting the guy in control of billions of dollars worth of research money and the politicians.

If you want to call those vaccines which are that ineffective and MAY contribute to more virulent strains of the virus when viruses typically weaken with each mutation a success... then you're right. We'll just have to disagree.

Anyways, that's all I've got time for. And Rand Paul is still an a-hole (many in his own party agree).
He isn't... and the proof is that many in his own party and pretty much all liberals... think he is. I tend to STRONGLY favor people in politics who aren't loved by the political class in DC or MSM. Generally it means they're exposing them.

It relates to strategy and how the earliest and most resources are committed. I didn't say either/or. But Paul points to a tendency of Fauci's which others have affirmed. The time to pursue vaccines should have been AFTER throwing maximum resources at treatments to save lives. That was a strategy with both long and short term benefits.

But also goes to the effectiveness and long term implications of these particular vaccines. As I mentioned earlier, almost 40% of Missouri's new cases are among the fully vaccinated. The vaxed make up 11% of recently reported deaths... and that % is growing even as MO seems to have plateaued on vaccination.

Reinfections are less than 3% of new infections. The focus should NOT be on mandating or bullying those who already have immunity into taking the vaccine. Based on over 800k cases in MO over 2 years, the chances of being reinfected and dying are .00011%. According to CDC's data, the chances of dying from adverse effects of the vaccine are .0019%. That is why as someone who has recovered from the virus... I have no interest in the vaccine. My son who is in the Air Guard was FORCED to take the shot or lose his chances of becoming a pilot. He took them the results of a blood work panel showing that he had immunity. They rejected it and forced him to take the shot. He was sicker from the shot than he was originally from Covid.

The vaccines may have a place but emphasizing vaccines as opposed to treatments and natural immunity... is not an example of "following the science". You can prove me wrong... just show where the advantages of natural immunity are being promoted, efforts are being made to understand and incorporate natural immunity in the public health strategy, and a clear admissions that the vaccines have not performed as hoped.

An earlier post said that the vaccines were 90% effective. You can make that claim based on the number of vaxed people who have caught Covid. But to make it relevant, you have to compare to the chances of an unvaxed person catching Covid. Neither is an exceptionally high number. You could accurately say that in MO the vaccines are about 97.5% effective... and "doing nothing" is about 90% effective.
Respectfully disagree with you on how well the vaccines are working with the data you provided from Missouri and would caution you using Marek’s disease which is a herpesvirus as a theoretical risk for covid vaccination as vaccination against these viruses are very different than coronaviruses. Agree with you that the vaccine should not be mandated by the government in almost anyone including those prior infection as it creates more divisiveness and increases hesitancy to other vaccines which I fear will become a dangerous public health issue in the future. However believe as a general public health policy the cdc is correct that the vaccines should be recommended to those with prior infection which the cdc gives the reason for here.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2666524721002196
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
But believe rational people can come to different conclusions on whether those who had covid should be vaccinated. Finally want to thank you for raising a son who is serving his country and hope he has a satisfying career in the Air Force.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/mrna

Today's mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 – currently the world’s best hope to end the pandemic – got their start at Penn Medicine. Two Penn researchers, Katalin Karikó, PhD, and Drew Weissman, MD, PhD, invented messenger RNA (mRNA) technology that serves as the foundation of the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines.

No. It is my "MO" to show people the respect of giving them a thoughtful response based on the information available to me. And no, it is not my intent to make you "give up"... though that seems pretty convenient to you.

So you insist on building strawmen... and I think that's a bigger waste of time and effort than long responses. I have been pretty clear that the vaccines DO reduce severe cases and deaths so far. They are NOT preventing infections the way were were led to believe.

And did you ever take time to read the article about leaky vaccines? I would rather you do that an then ignore me than continue to ignore the risks and unknowns relating to the vaccines.

"Operation Warp Speed" was not a plan to throw the full weight of the federal government into a pursuit of treatments. It was a make or break race to develop a vaccine. Trump got behind it but Fauci was the thinker.

If they had put that emphasis and money into treatments then those coming on line now might have been available a year ago. Time, expertise, and money are what makes these things go.

I am DEFINITELY not absolving Trump here. There were people advising him to go a different direction from Fauci. He was tasked with the responsibility of that decision and chose the wrong way. He was trying to play it "safe" with Covid but in the end a large number of voters cited his mishandling of Covid for their votes against him.

What do you think equals success? I apologize. That should have been our starting point. To me, the smallpox vax is a "success" because it provides complete immunity to almost everyone who takes it. Flu vaccines are less effective but reduce the risks by 40-60% without significant side effects. The typical flu vaccine will give protection from a particular strain for 2 or 3 years.

I don't think you can call a vaccine a success when 40% of new cases are among the fully vaxed and the vaxed have a CFR of .03%. The Asian flu had a CFR only about 3 times greater.

Not targeting the whole medical community. Targeting the guy in control of billions of dollars worth of research money and the politicians.

If you want to call those vaccines which are that ineffective and MAY contribute to more virulent strains of the virus when viruses typically weaken with each mutation a success... then you're right. We'll just have to disagree.

He isn't... and the proof is that many in his own party and pretty much all liberals... think he is. I tend to STRONGLY favor people in politics who aren't loved by the political class in DC or MSM. Generally it means they're exposing them.
Ok, let me better explain my situation here. I'm checking VN on my phone 100% of the time. I rarely use a computer at home since I'm on one all day at work and I can look at whatever I want online on my phone. I'm also often checking VN during the day when I have a lunch break or just need to get my eyes and mind on something else for a bit. In order to fully respond to your long posts, it would take a lot of time I don't have and I would be doing it via phone, which is a pain. I don't think I'm the only one using VN this way. You must be retired or just have a lot of time on your hands. If so, more power to you.

@sjt18 I've got a few minutes to respond to the below.

"If you want to call those vaccines which are that ineffective and MAY contribute to more virulent strains of the virus when viruses typically weaken with each mutation a success... then you're right. We'll just have to disagree."

The US is one of the most vaccinated countries and has yet to produce a more virulent strain. Delta came from India...where vaccine distribution had been extremely low (maybe they're doing better now). Omicron just came from South Africa, and it's actually a weaker strain. I don't see any signs or solid info out there showing that the vaccines are contributing to more virulent strains. You even say they "MAY". Could it happen in the future? Maybe. We don't have the benefit of hindsight to make that argument. That's one thing that I try to remember is that we can point to people in the medical community making missteps, but we're doing it from a position where we have the benefit of hindsight. I personally feel like giving some grace is warranted in a situation where people were doing the best they could with the situation they were in.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/mrna

Today's mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 – currently the world’s best hope to end the pandemic – got their start at Penn Medicine. Two Penn researchers, Katalin Karikó, PhD, and Drew Weissman, MD, PhD, invented messenger RNA (mRNA) technology that serves as the foundation of the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines.
Just noticed your custom title 👍🇮🇱

Reactions: Orangeslice13

Those numbers are incorrect. These refer only to the cases with known vaccination status, most cases have an unknown vaccination status.

literally 2/3 of these cases are people with an unknown vaccination status. These numbers are meaningless.

10443 omicron cases
4020 fully vaccinated
186 not vaccinated
Others with unreported vaccination status!

See page 13

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ..._2021-12-30.pdf?__blob=publicationFile#page13

Those numbers are incorrect. These refer only to the cases with known vaccination status, most cases have an unknown vaccination status.

literally 2/3 of these cases are people with an unknown vaccination status. These numbers are meaningless.

10443 omicron cases
4020 fully vaccinated
186 not vaccinated
Others with unreported vaccination status!

See page 13

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ..._2021-12-30.pdf?__blob=publicationFile#page13

Everybody is making up their own numbers.

I don't believe any of them.

VN Store

Back