The Grill and BBQ thread

10 lb butt almost done on the Recteq for a non traditional Christmas meal. Probably close to 12 hrs now @ 225.
Get some butcher paper and wrap tightly at 165. Turn smoker up to 300 and finish to 192-195. Throw in a cooler for an hour. The meat will blow right through the 165 plateau and shorten your cooking time. Can wrap in foil also but the paper absorbs some of the rendered fat.

It's going to be a great day of sports on the tube. Here's a "little" 9lb. short rib plate I picked up at Simpson's Meats when I was in TN last week. Anyone in the Knox area I highly recommend this place. It's on Murdock which is off Lovell Rd. Jim Simpson is the owner and Jason is another fella that works there. Super helpful and great quality.

If you're a burger fan, grab a pound of their ground beef and pound of their bacon/burger grind and mix them together. You really don't need to season it. That mix is outstanding.

View attachment 417365

They are on my way home. Will have to stop by the store and see what they have in stock. My issue is that the wife doesn’t like fatty meats so she can be kinda hard to grill for. It looks like they have some good flank and flat iron steak packs. Can cook them in the cast iron skillet with a good butter/garlic/rosemary finish. This is why I bought my rosemary plant lol.

Hey all. So today I bought a 2.25 lb slab of picanha. However I have never cooked picanha before. What is the best way to cook picanha? I do have a pellet smoker so smoking is an option.

They are on my way home. Will have to stop by the store and see what they have in stock. My issue is that the wife doesn’t like fatty meats so she can be kinda hard to grill for. It looks like they have some good flank and flat iron steak packs. Can cook them in the cast iron skillet with a good butter/garlic/rosemary finish. This is why I bought my rosemary plant lol.
Rosemary is probably the easiest herb to grow and makes an attractive plant in a flower bed. It comes back even after heavy freezes and can grow to several feet in diameter. Super handy when you like to grill.

I have thyme, oregano, and chives in my side bed, as well. Basil has to be seeded and cilantro hates Tennessee. Parsley fares pretty well too.

Rosemary is probably the easiest herb to grow and makes an attractive plant in a flower bed. It comes back even after heavy freezes and can grow to several feet in diameter. Super handy when you like to grill.

I have thyme, oregano, and chives in my side bed, as well. Basil has to be seeded and cilantro hates Tennessee. Parsley fares pretty well too.

Oddly enough the Rosemary plant I have is in a pot and has done pretty well. I grew basil, but ended up not really using it as much as I thought I would. I had an oregano plant, but it looked like it was dying the whole time I had it (basically only the ends of the shoots looked healthy while the center of the plant was dark and just looked bad). The chives I planted seem to be doing okay, but just okay. They aren’t really spreading like I thought they would.

Cooking tonight? Post pics! Go a little under on your temp as it will rise while resting. Slice against the grain!

Actually, I’m going to smoke it on Friday. Start by making perpendicular cut lines in the fat all the way down to the meat. Then dry brine for a couple of hours. After that add pepper, garlic powder and rosemary leaves (rosemary in the cut lines). Smoke to 130 F, tent for 20 minutes, slice and eat. Will definitely take pics!

Actually, I’m going to smoke it on Friday. Start by making perpendicular cut lines in the fat all the way down to the meat. Then dry brine for a couple of hours. After that add pepper, garlic powder and rosemary leaves (rosemary in the cut lines). Smoke to 130 F, tent for 20 minutes, slice and eat. Will definitely take pics!
Sounds perfect! Think about 120-125 before resting.

Reactions: zhangliao04

Good luck. I've cooked several of these from Snake River Farms. All I use is kosher salt. Cook it at 225 until it hits about 125 or so. Crank up the grill for a quick sear.

Reactions: zhangliao04

VN Store

Back