Low tier bowls be gone

Not piling on but if a family member or friend had a young person on that team in said bowl game you might have a different take.
These are $$ makers for sure AND they serve as a reward for these programs.
You posed a legit question.

$$ makers for who? Not the schools. Most schools lose money on these lower tier bowls and even mid tier ones.

Yep. If you think there is too much football, I hear Hallmark has a lot of movies out right now.

But seriously, if you think there are too many bowls, wouldn’t a simple solution be to just not watch the bowls you don’t want to watch?
One would think..

I’ll never understand this line of thinking. I have a serious question to anyone who thinks that there are “too many” bowl games….why not just watch something else instead? Why do you care?
Because it's a massive financial loss to the schools. Extra practices are the only reason I am good with it.

Reactions: vettefool
I mean, I get what you're saying. But no. I have no interest in watching Ball State and Georgia State.

BUT, I don't. I don't watch it. But was I interested in watching UCF beat Florida? Yup.

Bowls are about matchups that you wouldn't normally see during the season. It's not cupcake vs. cupcake, it's (supposedly) two teams who have won enough to deserve to be there.

Bowls can be some of the best football of the year. But I get not being excited about playing in the Duke's Mayo Bowl. Something with a little less sponsorship would be great.

I can’t wait for football to be over too. It’s like when a game goes into OT. Just go ahead and get it over with. What’s so bad about a tie?

I never play 18, I always play 9, so I can hurry up and get off the golf course.

I always leave the last frame open. Who has time for a whole nother frame?

If you only charge the trolling motor battery for 30 minutes the day before it saves time. Who wants to be out on the lake ALL day?

Going to a concert? Why bother? The last one I went to had 2(Funny story about that. My wife has asked me to never tell it.) opening acts. What a rip off. HWJr didn’t hit the stage until after my bedtime.

I stopped buying power ball. Who wants to be bothered with spending Hundreds of Millions of Dollars?

I’ll never understand this line of thinking. I have a serious question to anyone who thinks that there are “too many” bowl games….why not just watch something else instead? Why do you care?

My only guess would be that since they don't want to watch them...they don't want anyone else to be able to watch them, either...???

I know it’s highly unlikely because these games are all about the TV and sponsorship money…but what if a team had to win 8 games to be bowl eligible? It would save us the torture of these bojangles cheddar bo biscuit bowls and the like. Plus it would make the bowls mean more and maybe kids wouldn’t elect to sit out. Just a thought

At this point, it would do more harm than good……….JMHO

I never understand why people whine so much about bowls. If you don’t want to watch no one is forcing you
I like them. Don’t watch many of them but nice to see some of them. Good reward for teams. Though now think they are becoming more glorified exhibition games because of players opting out. Expand playoffs to start two weeks after conference championships and keep lower/mid tier games sprinkled in the mix.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
So you want to stop players from sitting out by not letting whole teams play at all? All that would do is encourage players to shut it down after 5 loses and devalue the 2nd half of the season. That's worse, not better.

Going to a concert? Why bother? The last one I went to had 2(Funny story about that. My wife has asked me to never tell it.) opening acts. What a rip off. HWJr didn’t hit the stage until after my bedtime ?

So did you leave before Hank came out? Those concerts back in the day were hit or miss . He could come out and kill it playing every instrument known to man like a boss OR come out slobbering drunk wearing nothing but his guitar (true story ) Cuss out the crowd and leave the stage without playing a single song

This all fn day. I can't stNd the too many college football all games crowd. It's usually the talking heads bitching because it means they have to work doing what most of us do on our time off.
Some of the early bowls are really competitive. Take Mizzouri Army for example. Great game.

Even the big ones

P5 schools don’t lose money on bowls because there is a split of all payouts among the conference teams. I read a Forbes article from about 6-7 years ago that said maybe 10-20 schools lose money in the bottom tier bowls.

I know it’s highly unlikely because these games are all about the TV and sponsorship money…but what if a team had to win 8 games to be bowl eligible? It would save us the torture of these bojangles cheddar bo biscuit bowls and the like. Plus it would make the bowls mean more and maybe kids wouldn’t elect to sit out. Just a thought
If you did an annual Bowl-a-Rama betting pool like we do, it makes the cheddar bo biscuit bowls much more exciting to watch. That’s of course if you don’t care that much about getting free extra football to watch before waiting another 9 months. Personally, I enjoy the extra football and getting to see a variety of different schools matchup.

football season is short and fans want as many games as possible to watch so if you dont like them you dont have to watch...

Reactions: A.J.
How is it torture? You don't have to watch, do you?

If you want the games to mean more, and the players to actually show up, expand the playoffs.

Covid has an aversion to bowl games, too.

The Pfizer and Moderna bowls have been canceled because of it.

What's next - The Cheez Whiz Bowl?

Oh, the humanity!

Lot of schools like the Bowl games even if they lose money because of the exposure. Supposedly the exposure will help with enrollment. I am sure schools like Ball State think the expense is worth the exposure.

VN Store

Back