TA&M and Jimbo

Chizik rode the back of a brilliant offensive coordinator and a one of the greatest quarterbacks in CFB history. Fisher built his program and won the title in his fourth season. Fisher isn’t a great coach, but it’s ridiculous to compare him to Chizik, Coker, and Oregeron.

Jimbo owes his NC to Jameis. Just like Chizik owes his to Cam.

Is Jimbo a good coach, yes.

Is A&M paying him through the nose? Also yes

When it's all said and done, will Jimbo bring any trophies of significance to College Station? Highly doubtful.

Well he did get it done. He won an NC lol. The wheels fell of tho, yes. I said this on another platform. He’s just like Kirby. Excellent recruiter, less game-day coach. I do agree tho. Until he finds a dynamic qb and quits micromanaging his staff, he’ll fall short.
On another note, that coupled with A&M’s strange traditions, I find it odd that any recruit would want to play there. Sure money talks, but there’s other more attractive programs willing to pay elsewhere imo.
💰💰💰💰💰

They can now do what Jackie Sherrill tried to do. I wonder if Eric Dickerson still has that Trans Am???

Reactions: BreatheUT
They just beat Alabama. Who else beat Alabama? Oh yeah, no one. Alabama hadn’t lost since 2019.

Beating the big dog means a lot to recruits.

Plus, Fisher has skins.

Yeah, he’s not Nick Saban. Neither is any other coach. But, he’s easily top 5.
A blind pig finds an acorn. Beats Bama. Then goes 8-4. 1 win better than us with half a roster, a brand new coach, and having to play Bama and Georgia. Jumbo isn't incompetent. He just doesn't have the ceiling to win it all in the SEC. Does he have a NC under his belt? Yep. Did he get there coaching a FLSt team playing in the ACC with absolutely no competition? Yep. Clemson was the only competition they had that year prior to the NC game and Clemson hadn't fully cooked. They squeaked by Auburn to win. Hats off but like I said. A blind pig found an acorn. And by the way, during his tenure at at FLst, FL and Miami were lost. He will not....i say again.....will not win an SEC championship, much less a NC with him as head coach. I said what I said.....

Last edited:
LOL, ok. They didn’t have a serviceable QB, and still won 8 games. Calzada sucked most of the year.

You put an average QB on their team last year - they go 11-1 and are in the playoff. And, their talent is getting even better.

But, have your Saban-bias. No one is Saban except Saban.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
LOL, ok. They didn’t have a serviceable QB, and still won 8 games. Calzada sucked most of the year.

You put an average QB on their team last year - they go 11-1 and are in the playoff. And, their talent is getting even better.

But, have your Saban-bias. No one is Saban except Saban.
Yep.

I think everyone is surprised to see A&M pull off this recruiting class. I'm going to go ahead and declare it a bust. They never finish higher than 2nd in the SEC west. Jumbo just isn't that good of a coach. He puts a ceiling on what they can accomplish. He coached an ACC team that was in just as good of recruiting grounds at an apex level school and couldn't get anything done. A&M is in just as good recruiting territory but in a tougher conference. He didn't play Saban every year at FLST and couldn't get it done. Jumbo is gone in 5 years. Book it.

Our National Championship coach was run out of town during a dismal season, couldn't find a job, came back to possibly screw us more, and still hasn't coached a single down of football since being let go.

Jimbo has a top 25 team and a #1 recruiting class, o and managed to beat Saban this year, 4 years after being promoted out of FSU, I'm not sure he's someone we should be throwing stones at...

With their resources, population, wealthy alumni, etc.,
they should be doing much better.
Well all coaches will be in different waters now. This NIL is so new none of us know how this will change recruiting. Say a school thats got boosters that care but the university uses money for stuff other than sports. Well now if coaches like ole jimbo may get the kids who would have went elsewhere because those boosters sign on these kids for deals. And I know some will say boosters have always given money to players and thats just not entirely true of all. Some boosters are not dirty but NIL is an above board way for some of these guys to get their programs in places they don't normally get.

Too much money behind that program. It’s not a bust, Tam is here fellas. Facilities, coach with a natty, NIL capabilities from boosters…they’re for real

I'm not saying he's a POS. I'm saying that he's a big named coach that has a ceiling. He competed in a weaker conference during a period when the weak conference was at it's weakest point in decades. He took over a storied FLST program in probably the most furtile recruiting grounds in the country at a time when Miami and FL were at a low point and both "lost in the desert". He had some good seasons and some not so good. Planets aligned. He got a "once in 20 years" QB that carried his team to the promise land, a NC game opportunity. But in the SEC, he's going to see week in and week out competition that's well beyond what's he's experienced in the past. Yes. He's been coaching now in the SEC for about 5 years. He's 9-4, 8-5, 9-1, and now 8-5? "Yeah but he beat Saban!" So did Sumlin. So did Chizik. So did Freeze. So did Ogeron. How'd that work out for them? Beating Saban is noteworthy but not a benchmark of "He has arrived". Beating Saban and then dropping an egg against an LSU team so bad they fired their coach mid season and put in an interim coach isn't inspiring. To be honest, beating Saban appears to be the death knell for coaches......beat Saban and you're fired a couple years later.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
He just signed the #1 class. He had never signed more than 7 top 100 players. He just signed 15 top 100 players, and has a chance to sign 2-3 more.

A&M literally has a chance to sign the best class ever in the recruiting era.

He just signed the #1 class. He had never signed more than 7 top 100 players. He just signed 15 top 100 players, and has a chance to sign 2-3 more.

Texas A&M hostess program working overtime this year
8EED2009-4AE1-483A-B7CB-17579A175647.gif

Maybe. Maybe he does. But that doesn't change the fact that he's the ceiling, not the players. BTW, that #1 recruiting class is a mirage. It's 2021. Within 2 years, a quarter to half that recruiting class hits the portal. Those blue chippers will be someone else's Juniors and senior, not Jimbo's.

Maybe. Maybe he does. But that doesn't change the fact that he's the ceiling, not the players. BTW, that #1 recruiting class is a mirage. It's 2021. Within 2 years, a quarter to half that recruiting class hits the portal. Those blue chippers will be someone else's Juniors and senior, not Jimbo's.

That’s theory, not actuality.

And, “he’s the ceiling” is an opinion, not a fact. We’ve seen several coaches whose players won them things, when, objectively, they weren’t very good coaches. Coaching is just not on the field. It is also recruiting, etc.

He has actually signed the #1 class objectively. Everything else is just crap we throw at a wall and see if it will stick based on our own biases.

That’s theory, not actuality.

And, “he’s the ceiling” is an opinion, not a fact. We’ve seen several coaches whose players won them things, when, objectively, they weren’t very good coaches. Coaching is just not on the field. It is also recruiting, etc.

He has actually signed the #1 class objectively. Everything else is just crap we throw at a wall and see if it will stick based on our own biases.

No. The statement " He's actually signed the #1 class" is opinion. It's based on archaic opinions of various "experts". Rivals says Alabama is #1.....so there's that. Hard to be the best recruiting class every in the recruiting era if you're not even the #1 recruiting class of the year. This whole site is about "opinions". And they don't give out trophies for "winning" the recruiting title. Ask Georgia. They had the #1 recruiting class 3 years in a row and they still haven't won the big one. Heck, they haven't yet even proved that they're the best team in their conference. But who know, they might get that Alabama rematch.

The composite has A&M #1. Literally every service other than Rivals has A&M #1.

We get it. You don’t like Jimbo Fisher. But, to somehow diminish what he’s accomplished because he isn’t Nick Saban and hasn’t done what Saban has done is silly.

I guess by that standard, Heupel sucks and he isn’t ever going to do anything at UT.

Literally every program in the nation who isn’t Georgia, Bama, Ohio State, A&M etc would kill to have their recruiting classes and their football program situation.

The composite has A&M #1. Literally every service other than Rivals has A&M #1.

We get it. You don’t like Jimbo Fisher. But, to somehow diminish what he’s accomplished because he isn’t Nick Saban and hasn’t done what Saban has done is silly.

I guess by that standard, Heupel sucks and he isn’t ever going to do anything at UT.

Literally every program in the nation who isn’t Georgia, Bama, Ohio State, A&M etc would kill to have their recruiting classes and their football program situation.
Not sure where you're getting the Saban worship vibe from. I'm not saying that Jimbo isn't a the greatest coach of all time because Saban already holds that title. I'm saying that Jimbo is an above average coach that isn't good enough to win the SEC nor a NC as long as he coaches in the SEC. The weekly competition week in and week out in the SEC is more than he's ever faced as a head coach. His record in the SEC reflects that. The SEC has been a 1 team conference for the last 8-10 years, Alabama. Now it's a 2 team conference. GA and Bama. I think the whole conference is about to get better. LSU will likely get back on the map and so will we. Kiffin is going to build Ol Miss into a threat. And Mike Leach is going to make a spoiler out of Miss St. I think the rest of the SEC East will struggle but FL won't be far behind us and Kentucky isn't a laughing stock any more. Drag Texas and Oklahoma into the mix and it's about to be a bloodbath in the SEC. You know what happens to coaches with top recruiting classes and no championships to show for it? They get walked to the door.......
As soon as Bama beat GA, there were GA fans already murmering about getting rid of Kirby.......

Two days ago, I celebrated an anniversary of sorts. 42 years ago I walked the stage of G. Rollie White Coliseum and received my B.S. from Texas A&M. I now live in the Knoxville area, and have ties to the University of Tennessee. Two of my daughters graduated from UTK within the past 2 years. While I'm a diehard Aggie, my second favorite team is the Vols.

Time flies, but one thing for certain that has never changed...the unbridled disgust fans direct toward Texas A&M. Back in the day, it came from the likes of tu, Houston, Baylor, Texas Tech, and others. Now it appears to be coming from all directions.

In College Station there's a saying that holds true, and probably will for years to come..."Outsiders don't understand A&M and Insiders can't explain it." I'll leave it at that, but it is true.

I'm not a native Texan. I moved to College Station after graduating high school in Connecticut. I didn't understand anything about A&M, and quite honestly, I hated my first two years on campus. Over time, I grew to love A&M, and I always will. Again, I can't explain it.

I don't know the mind of Jimbo Fisher, but I'm sure he feels much different today about A&M than when he arrived a few years ago. A&M must be near and dear to him because he just turned down LSU's 15 million...from the same guy that brought him to A&M. A couple of weeks ago, at a press conference he said, and I paraphrase, "We are about to sign the best A&M class ever. I love everything about this place, including my ranch. Why would I go to LSU and complete against these guys?" I suspect the past couple of years in College Station have changed him, kind of like it did me.

Outside of LSU, I hope every athletic director in Division 1 hates Jimbo, and will never give him the time of day. The posters that said he caught lightning in a bottle with JW are correct. But let's face it, there are many coaches that have won a National Title with a top notch QB. Jimbo has never had that at A&M (not an excuse, it just is what it is). And please don't bring up Sumlin's name in comparison. He had Johnny Football and his OC now coaches the Arizona Cardinals. Any of us could have been the HC and done great with that combination.

This year was a disappointment. Two new QB's and the starter breaks his ankle in the second game. I feel badly for Calzada. But he'll go to his grave knowing he beat the number one team in the nation on the strength of his play. I don't understand why everyone makes excuses but this is a fact...Jimbo beat Saban because the team played great and Calzada had a career night.

I'll end with this fact...it took Dabo 9 years to win a NC at Clemson. Things are falling into place nicely in College Station. I can wait this out, and I know other Aggies feel the same.

Reactions: ptcarter
Jimbo owes his NC to Jameis. Just like Chizik owes his to Cam.

Is Jimbo a good coach, yes.

Is A&M paying him through the nose? Also yes

When it's all said and done, will Jimbo bring any trophies of significance to College Station? Highly doubtful.
No he doesn’t owe his to title to Winston. Winston was obviously a huge part of their success, but 20 of their 22 starters were eventually drafted. They also had the third ranked defense in the country. That team was absolutely loaded and nothing like the 2010 Auburn team.

Reactions: 05_never_again
At the end of the day aTm and LSU will have the ability to snuff out Saban more than any other schools. I am tired of playing a loaded Alabama team and knowing the result before the game even starts. We play Bama every year (as of right now). I welcome other schools defeating them on the field as this will hasten the nemesis to retire hopefully. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Reactions: Godfatha

VN Store

Back