The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Agreed. Tonight is the last night where I will be OK if we play Uros 10+ minutes. I still think BHH deserves more minutes so that he can work through some of his growing pains. It will pay huge dividends down the road. I'd love to see Maschack get more of an opportunity tonight, heck I'd like to see Powell and BHH also play more than 15-16 minutes.

Once this cupcake game is over, here is how I'd like to see us shape up moving forward:

Your Best/Most Talented 5
Chandler
Vescovi
James
BHH
Fulky

First Off the Bench
Zeiglar
Powell
ORN

We really can't afford to play a 10-man rotation for an entire season unless it's a game where we are in deep foul trouble. Bailey has had a chance to prove himself, and he isn't worth the headache. I can't justify giving him 16.9 MPG with a stat line of 33.3% FG, 66.6% FT, 25.7% from 3.

I'd rather let Maschack grow offensively if we're going to play a poor-shooting guard. At least we'd improve on defense.
I'm not so sure my starting 5 wouldn't be...
Chandler
Vescovi
Powell
James
Fulkerson

Off the bench...
Huntley-Hatfield
Nkamhoua
Ziegler

Chandler
Vescovi
Powell
James
Fulkerson

Off the bench...
Huntley-Hatfield
Nkamhoua
Ziegler

I'd be fine with either of those. I want to see more of both Powell and BHH, so if I can get one of them into the starting 5 I'll take what I can get lol.

ORN hasn't impressed me. Bailey can't shoot and can't play defense. Time to mix things up.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
He's a junior on the #3 ranked team in the country. He's got 4 senior teammates who are currently bigger than him and all rank among CA's top recruits. That only leaves PG and he's not a PG. One of his HS teammates has already played with Lebron in the NBA. That's how elite Sierra Canyon is. We take guys who rank outside the top 180 all the time, so an overrated 38 should be welcome here.

I agree there is a good chance he's being overrated, but there is no chance he's not good enough to play at Tennessee. He'll probably grow 2 or 3 inches, too.
I'm well-acquainted with how elite Sierra Canyon is.

Chandler
Vescovi
Powell
James
Fulkerson

Off the bench...
Huntley-Hatfield
Nkamhoua
Ziegler
This has been my dream rotation. Honestly wouldn’t mind Ziegler getting the start over Powell, since Barnes seems hell bent on him coming off the bench. Ideally JJJ gets in good enough shape to run the small ball 4 for 30+ minutes a night and we can mostly rotate the 5 and guard spots.

Reactions: Willy14
Yet, Bailey and Uros continue to absorb a combined 13.25% market share of available minutes. It really is puzzling because now tangible data reinforces what most people's eyes have seen. Time to shorten the rotation from 10 to 8, and/or redistribute those minutes to other bench players.
I would say it’s no coincidence that both of those guys have 3+ years with Barnes where as the guys who would replace them are in Year 1…not saying that’s the right move, and may very well be one of Barnes biggest faults is that he overvalued “trust” over actual production/potential at times.

Was looking through some analytics numbers this morning, couple things now that we’ve got a bit of a sample size…

Best defenders by a wide margin are James and Mashack, worst are Bailey/Powell/Uros/BHH.

Best offensively are Vescovi and Powell, but not as big a gap as there is defensively.

Overall offense/defense together, best are Mashack & Vescovi by a pretty wide margin, then Chandler…in order: Mashack, Vescovi, Chandler, James, Fulk, Powell, Nkahmoua, Zeigler, BHH, Bailey, Plavsic.

Mentioned it in the game thread, but Mashack has really impressed but sample size is really small, I would be taking these chances against cupcakes to see what he can bring in meaningful minutes. He’s shown he at the very least could be a very good defender and rebounder, and if Bailey is gonna keep shooting 18% then I’m guessing Madhack could match that.
What analytics? On/off defensive efficiency splits? Sample size is too small for Mashack

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I would say it’s no coincidence that both of those guys have 3+ years with Barnes where as the guys who would replace them are in Year 1…not saying that’s the right move, and may very well be one of Barnes biggest faults is that he overvalued “trust” over actual production/potential at times.
I have no doubt that the two are related. It is to his team's detriment, IMO. This part of the schedule is when these young guys need to gain experience if the talent is equal or better. I wouldn't think you'd want them cutting their teeth vs SEC opponents.

Chandler
Vescovi
Powell
James
Fulkerson

Off the bench...
Huntley-Hatfield
Nkamhoua
Ziegler

I think pretty much everyone agrees with the 8 in some form…question becomes after that, right now seems like Uros and Bailey. I think we’ve missed chances against cupcakes to play Mashack/Aidoo more, realistically in meaningful games those 8 guys on average are giving you probably 185-190/200 available minutes…if for no other reason Mashack & Aidoo you expect to be here and year and will be relied upon, would rather they get their feet wet now.

What analytics? On/off defensive efficiency splits? Sample size is too small for Mashack
Sports reference has O/D/T box +/-…I mentioned that Mashack’s sample size is small, but it’s enough of a sample size and ranks highly enough that I would be trying to get him 15mpg against cupcakes to find out if it’s accurate or not.

According to Basilio, the staff is discussing more minutes for Mashack and less for Bailey and Powell.

This sounds good to me. Let's see what M can do. Powell and Bailey haven't pulled their weight.
I think that is a fair assessment of Bailey, but not Powell. Neither is a good defender, but Powell has been much more effective on offense and can affect the game as a passer and rebounder, as well, and his effort has never been called into question.

I think pretty much everyone agrees with the 8 in some form…question becomes after that, right now seems like Uros and Bailey. I think we’ve missed chances against cupcakes to play Mashack/Aidoo more, realistically in meaningful games those 8 guys on average are giving you probably 185-190/200 available minutes…if for no other reason Mashack & Aidoo you expect to be here and year and will be relied upon, would rather they get their feet wet now.
I think I heard Aidoo is in a walking boot. Any truth to that?

According to Basilio, the staff is discussing more minutes for Mashack and less for Bailey and Powell.

This sounds good to me. Let's see what M can do. Powell and Bailey haven't pulled their weight.

Less minutes for Powell? That would make no sense. He needs more minutes not less. Bailey should give all of his to Powell as far as I’m concerned.

No matter what the stat line says, he LOOKS like he’s got skills. I want to see him get some minutes with the regulars instead of the reserves. Quentin has looked like he belongs on the court as well. They are very similar in the few minutes that I’ve observed them. I hope that one or both are consistent perimeter shooters. QD looks like he’s more skilled than Pons but in a smaller package. Mashack IMO looks a lot like the one-and-dones from last year but also not quite as physical. If they can shoot that will be an outstanding pair of wings for the next several years.

Reactions: walkenvol
I think that is a fair assessment of Bailey, but not Powell. Neither is a good defender, but Powell has been much more effective on offense and can affect the game as a passer and rebounder, as well, and his effort has never been called into question.

I like how Powell has not only shown that he will hit 3s, but he will also cut to the basket. Bailey doesn’t seem to have that move in his tool box.

I felt the same way with BHH as well. If we are going to be relying on him any at all in SEC play and March then he should have been getting a lot more minutes against cupcake teams along side Mashack and Aidoo

Sports reference has O/D/T box +/-…I mentioned that Mashack’s sample size is small, but it’s enough of a sample size and ranks highly enough that I would be trying to get him 15mpg against cupcakes to find out if it’s accurate or not.
Yeah worth testing. Put him in high usage situations against cupcakes and see. But his spot duty against cupcakes can’t be compared to significant minutes by other players and against much better teams. Of course more minutes for him will mean less for someone else and I do think we’ve seen enough minutes from Bailey to say that he’s not cutting it this year and worth putting someone else in his spot

All this talk about rotation. Who gets minutes and who doesn’t. My only concern in my 40 plus years watching UT hoops. Will the Vols ever make a final four?

Can see the fewer possessions the more volatile these Off/Def splits can become. This actually shows that having Powell and Bailey on the same time is the most efficient lineup. I think it's pretty clear here though that lineup 2 and 3 is preferable to 1. And I'd hope to see a shift in this especially as we go into the meat of our schedule. Bailey has had his chances.
Screenshot 2021-12-14 140130.jpg

All this talk about rotation. Who gets minutes and who doesn’t. My only concern in my 40 plus years watching UT hoops. Will the Vols ever make a final four?

I think that it will help if all 13 have enough work over the next 2 months to be able to fill any need. Uros gets trashed relentlessly, but when we face opponents with 7 footers and Fulkerson picks up cheap fouls it gets banged up again, an engaged UP could make a big difference. He doesn’t need to be above average every game. He just might have a career night at the perfect time.

When TN plays Auburn at the end of February they better have plenty of defenders available with J. Smith and 7’1” Kessler. Aidoo would be a nice addition as well.

VN Store

Back