Players Sitting out Bowl game

From ESPN

“McGahee, of course, still is rehabilitating from a catastrophic knee injury suffered in the Fiesta Bowl seven months ago. The injury, coming in the national championship game loss to Ohio State, included at least partial tears to three of the four knee ligaments.

Had McGahee been healthy, there is little doubt he would have been among the top three players chosen in this year's draft.”
Okay... that's fine. I will give you McGahee, but he still had a nice career... but that's one.

Respectfully disagree, otherwise no players would opt out.

Anytime a player steps on the field, he risks injury. If its critical to a future NFL career, then he has earned the right to decide for himself to weigh the matter and do what's right for his future. A typical NFL career lasts less than 7 years. For those who would be drafted, Godspeed, young man.

What’s $23M in 2002 worth in 2021 dollars?
I mentioned 19 years... because I admittedly didn't remember how highly touted McGahee was in 2002 (SHUDDER!).

I concede that as one good example... but it's still very rare to see a player's draft prospects negatively impacted by a bowl game injury. Playing in a post-season all star game will also tend to cast doubt on how much of a concern that actually was to begin with.

Interesting that you would hold professional coaches and college kids to the same standard.

Are coaches running around the field risking a torn ACL every few moments?

Ask Metchie III that question right now.
Let’s not confuse Metchie with Taylor. Let’s also not play the game of player getting hurt because statistically you won’t. 1000’s played and got drafted, we can play the what about. It’s simple, he owes me nothing best of luck to the young man.

He’s just not cut from the same cloth as those that came before him.

Peyton Manning was slated to be the #1 overall pick in 1998, while Tennessee was playing in a bowl game with no championship implications (there was for Nebraska, but not for Tennessee), and he was injured with a ruptured bursa sac (right knee). He still played... because that's the kind of competitor he is.

Capitalism doesn't have to mean being a pu$$y.
Peyton also had the family name of being Manning. That alone would have opened up financial doors to him.
His immediate family were already well off.
That can help your decision a lot. Not saying it did but he didn't have to worry about $$

Reactions: Commish14
I mentioned 19 years... because I admittedly didn't remember how highly touted McGahee was in 2002 (SHUDDER!).

I concede that as one good example... but it's still very rare to see a player's draft prospects negatively impacted by a bowl game injury. Playing in a post-season all star game will also tend to cast doubt on how much of a concern that actually was to begin with.
The famous one. Jaylon Smith. This probably started guys thinking.

A quick reminder that Jaylon Smith's bowl game injury likely cost him tens of millions

Reactions: BowlBrother85

How about Jaylon Smith the all American linebacker from Notre Dame? Was considered a top 10-15 pick until his devastating knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State. Fell into the mid second round and while he still had a decent career, the injury cost him millions on the front end, and wrecked any chance of him reaching his potential. Which in turn cost him millions more.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
I'm with you O/D. This B$ @ the game not mattering doesn't sit well with me either. When Team #12x started the season everyone bought in and had each other's backs thru thick or thin. Then, when we take a 30day hiatus, the draft prospects abandon the team. When the Big Orange puts those helmets and jerseys on to represent TN, then it ALWAYS matters, even if we're 0-11 playing 0-11 Vandy.
I appreciate Alontae and wish him the best. But, there is no way that he won't always have an * beside his name from here forward. He quit in his team for himself, plain and simple.

No coach w a functional brain cell would ever say this due to the fact that they MUST keep the NFL farm pipeline open or die. Even though I'm sure they think it.
An asterisk beside his name? You are kidding right? Sorry to bust your bubble but that’s the world we live in now. This ain’t your grandad’s “ Win One For The Gipper” anymore and it never will be again. That horse done left the barn. Like or don’t like it, it just doesn’t matter. I’m about as old school as they come but the old way is nothing but a fantasy now and I’ve come to terms with it.

I guess the part where that exists in college football
QBs redshirt, play backup one year, start one year and skip.

Dwayne Haskins comes to mind. Guy had something like 13? starts......poof...... NFL.

Granted the NFL wants the guys to be 21 (3 years out of HS, I think) but that's ALL that keeps it from happening.

What about Venus? He’s still playing and he has a lot on the line in terms of his NFL stock. He seems like a great team player.

No, they quit because they didn’t make the playoffs. They cry, whine, and moan and just quit on their teammates. This is unacceptable in any situation.
Your full of s***! Their starting their careers. Maybe when you get of High School you will understand one day.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
People that make $15/hr telling kids to play in a meaningless bowl game/exhibition and potentially cost themselves their careers or millions of dollars, if they suffer a major injury, is exactly the kind of content I come here for. Comical.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright

VN Store

Back