Players Sitting out Bowl game

What I don't understand about Alontae is the video where he came back this year because he said there was more to accomplish. He hasn't seen a bowl game in years. I am surprised he is not excited to play this final game.

I don't know about Cade but the last time to play with his brother.

Both have dealt with nagging injuries this year though.

Assuming facts not in evidence. There's a thread here on Tae, he's played the last two games hurt, and wants to recover. He doesn't need to risk worsening his injury for public opinion.

This is just such an entitled take. They should play because I'm a fan and want to see it!

I bet if you anonymously polled the lockerroom, Alontae and Cade's teammates wouldn't say they are being quit on. That's because they get it, and you just don't.

You beat me to it. I'll never understand how fans can demand and feel entitled to somebody's performance to satisfy their own wishes and desires, but the players are not entitled to their own individual wishes and desires. If we were in the playoffs, they would definitely be playing. I have a little issue, as a competitor, if a player is completely healthy and just decides to sit, but I don't disagree with their decision at the end of the day. If they are already banged up and have been battling the best they can during the season (like Cade and AT have), I have NO problems with them wanting to get fully healthy for the Senior Bowl/Combine.

You sound entitled AF. Please take your fanatic hat off for a moment and look at the situation logically. This is purely a risk vs. reward scenario for kids who may be on the cusp of realizing their lifelong dreams and life changing money( for generations of their family as well). You should be grateful for the time, dedication and great play they have provided the program and wish them nothing but success. Just the fact that they have put themselves in this situation to begin with shows that they are not quitters and deserve to be rewarded for their hard work. Everyone has to do what is best for themselves and their families (FULL STOP).

You sound entitled AF. Please take your fanatic hat off for a moment and look at the situation logically. This is purely a risk vs. reward scenario for kids who may be on the cusp of realizing their lifelong dreams and life changing money( for generations of their family as well). You should be grateful for the time, dedication and great play they have provided the program and wish them nothing but success. Just the fact that they have put themselves in this situation to begin with shows that they are not quitters and deserve all of the just rewards for their hard work. Everyone has to do what is best for themselves and their families (FULL STOP).

Mind blowing that people think these kids are willing to risk financial stability for life for a chance to lift the freaking Music City Bowl trophy

If that’s the case, then why not just quit your senior year on your teammates? Why not all players going to the nfl that make the playoffs just sit out, and not risk getting hurt, then?
Alontae even said he had been playing injured the last two weeks of the season. I have no problem if he wants to sit this one out. He’s put in more than enough over the last several years. Your take on this is just completely absurd.

They are quitters I don’t like it at all and lose respect for these guys. You fought hard with your team for 12 games and 4 months and you quit on them during the last game that just doesn’t sit with me and alot of fans.
I used to share this exact thought. However, after thinking about it, I changed my mind. Think if it was your son. He has a legit shot at millions of dollars by being drafted. Do you really want him to risk getting hurt by playing in a meaningless bowl game? If you are going to get drafted you have already done enough for the program.

The only thing which would prevent Cade playing is injury. At least that's my bet.

If that’s the case, then why not just quit your senior year on your teammates? Why not all players going to the nfl that make the playoffs just sit out, and not risk getting hurt, then?
Tyvon Evans quity his senior yr to go to another team. he was the leading rb and had a great yr,there is no more loyaltu. portal is going to cause many to not be loyal in the future

Alontae has been playing injured all year, and some of you are calling him a quitter. And you wonder why these kids occasionally snap back at fans, smh

These are human beings, not characters on a screen. Forty years ago, performance at the combine wasn’t as big of a deal. Players weren’t spending every hour of every day prepping for forty, broad jump, etc. For someone like Alontae who doesn’t have the best film, performance at the combine is a huge deal. If he doesn’t take time now to heal his body, then he won’t be ready for his pro day, period. Both Alontae and McCullough played a full SEC schedule while injured, which is nothing short of remarkable.

Sitting out the bowl game to turn pro is one thing.Sitting out to heal from injuries you have sustained during the season,in order to play professionally is quite another thing.No qualms,just thank you to Alontae and Cade for you guys fight and play at UT.All the best of luck in your NFL future.GBO.

Just because my mind tends to wonder all over the place, what about these players with NIL deals? I mean if you were paying a kid
to endorse your company and he doesn't play in all the games his/ her team plays in because of future earnings? Would this
be some sort of breach of contract? Just asking.

🧐🧐🧐Quitters because they don’t want to take the chance of getting injured and messing up their financial future/ potential livelihood for themselves and maybe family.. You’ve gotta be kidding me!🙄🙄 I applaud these young men for not entering the portal and staying and giving their all for TN when we were once again left in a 💩 spot from previous coaching staff. Selfish just isn’t the word for Taylor, Mays, or whomever else that decides to enter the draft and not play in the Music City Bowl!!!

Reactions: 007Racer
All you judgmental fans, I don't like this sitting out thing either, but truth is - t'aint your body, t'aint your decision, t'aint your business.
What's funny about you judgmental fans is this; neither the UT coaches nor team members have said one word either way about sitting players. AND, it isn't just the UT. Just to list a few:

Georgia Players
CB DJ Daniel
LB Monty Rice
TE Tre' McKitty

Kayvon Thibodeaux - Oregon
Nik Bonitto - Oklahoma
Amar'e D Barno - Virginia Tech

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Tyvon Evans quity his senior yr to go to another team. he was the leading rb and had a great yr,there is no more loyaltu. portal is going to cause many to not be loyal in the future
Yes! This is the "quitting" discussion we can have. Sitting out a meaningless bowl game to get healthy and prepare for the biggest, most consequential job interview any of us could dream of is NOT quitting.

If they sit out, just to get to the nfl in a bowl game, then I consider them quitters. I consider them quitters to their team players, coaches, fans and the school.
I consider them doing what's best for them. If you had a few million waiting and could be put in jeopardy with an injury, you would do the same thing

Reactions: 007Racer
Assuming facts not in evidence. There's a thread here on Tae, he's played the last two games hurt, and wants to recover. He doesn't need to risk worsening his injury for public opinion.

Reading comprehension is a lost art. I said they've dealt with nagging injuring but sometimes the response is not factual based on the original evidence in the post.

He went out of the game after his dance against Kentucky and missed time after that. Anyone watching knew he sustained an injury because he left and missed time afterwards. I don't sit on tbe board and read every thread and every article like some. If you would've simply pointed to the article referencing his injuries you would've done well.

Many of these players started their college careers with a dream of going pro. Many based their college choice on which college did they think would best help them achieve their dreams. Why in the world would they risk their life long dream, years of practice, nagging injuries for years, for a meaningless bowl game. The only reason we have all these stupid bowl games is because ESPN wants them to fill up their programming this month. I bet the fans care a lot more about who wins/loses than the players. The fans want bragging rights saying , “see, I told you that the SEC is better than xyz”. Other than their competitive spirit, the players probably don’t care who wins. It’s a reward for them for having a slightly better than a mediocre season.

VN Store

Back