Latest update on Josh Heupel's status

He was not an exciting hire a year ago for us, even after the years of disfunction and problems. He absolutely overachieved here this season, so maybe we are inflating his value due to our perspective. I agree with you there.

I think his performance this year, combined with the natural connection to OU (which as has been said may be strained), makes people understandably nervouse. BUT, I agree with you that they would almost assuredly have to strike out on several candidates to get to Heupel on their list. Unfortunately, we watched USC do just that with Kiffen, so people are testy.
Sometimes the sexy hire ain’t the right hire. I was at Clemson when Tommy Bowden was fired (same time for Fulmer) so I followed both searches with fervor because the same names came up for both, most notably Kiffin, but Muschamp’s name came up at both as well and he was named coach in waiting at TX not long after. Dabo wasn’t on the fans radar, especially, after finishing the season 3-2 or 3-3 I believe. Hindsight is 20/20 but I don’t think Clemson would argue Dabo ultimately turned out to be unequivocally the right hire.

I had never heard of coach Huepel before he was rumored as the hire by Danny White. I'm fully behind him with what he did this season. I also like that his eyebrows line up and he doesn't talk in slogans, or sound like a hick! Best thing seems to be his high football IQ and ability to develop players. As many 5 stars that have flamed out during last two coaches and top ten classes that didn't materialize on the field, I'm comfortable that Huep can take some 3 stars and develop them into great players.
He also seems like honest down to earth guy, recruits will like him and players seem to love playing for him. Lets just hope he does something special here and has his own legacy at Tennessee.

But seeing the die hards resort to mean crying at the mere mention of him leaving for OU makes it fun! I guess the last 15 years has messed me up a little lol

Sometimes the sexy hire ain’t the right hire. I was at Clemson when Tommy Bowden was fired (same time for Fulmer) so I followed both searches with fervor because the same names came up for both, most notably Kiffin, but Muschamp’s name came up at both as well and he was named coach in waiting at TX not long after. Dabo wasn’t on the fans radar, especially, after finishing the season 3-2 or 3-3 I believe. Hindsight is 20/20 but I don’t think Clemson would argue Dabo ultimately turned out to be unequivocally the right hire.
And i believe Dabo got on the hot seat in 2010 when the Tigers went 6-7 maybe? I'll certainly give DS credit as a good guy and solid coach. They may not admit it, but Clemson was the beneficiary of some incredible good fortune and timing on Dabo's hiring. And much of their success happened to coincide with the Vols downfall, as we recruit much of the same territory. Its why Clemson gets a bit nervous (if they are honest) with a rising Volnation. They know it could be an issue if we grow strong again.

VN Store

Back