Latest update on Josh Heupel's status

I read it a bit differently.

I think Josh Heupel really, really wants to say, in very certain terms, "Hey, I'm here for the long haul. I'm not going anywhere. This is where I see myself coaching for years and years. We have championships to win."

But his agent is undoubtedly begging him, BEGGING him, not to tie his hands that way. Probably making a very persuasive argument about the need to keep at least a little uncertainty in play so that salary increases and extensions remain in the conversation. It's how you get a raise as a football coach.

So Josh goes as far as he can without causing his agent to jump off a cliff. And he eagerly goes out looking for a chance to say it. Asks if Ainge will interview him. Asks if he will. All so Josh can give as clear a message to the fan base (and recruits) about his future plans as his agent can live with.

That's how I'm reading these particular tea leaves. There's no doubt in my mind we have Josh Heupel long term.

I agree, on the whole. My main point was that him taking the interview at all is a good sign. I think he stays, for sure. I think he also wants to get some added $$$ and possibly incentives to his contract - and I think he deserves something in that department.

What if Bob Stoops is trying to get his old job back? Did he really retire or did the AD force him out for some new blood? o_O

What if Bob Stoops is trying to get his old job back? Did he really retire or did the AD force him out for some new blood? o_O
This is infinitely more likely than Josh Heupel, who has shown character all season (and career) long, setting up an interview himself and outright lying to all of our faces.

Reactions: Sara Clark
I don't disagree that it was essentially coach speak. However, I think the fact that he took this interview is a good sign that he isn't actively pursuing other opportunities.

This wasn't a press conference that he couldn't avoid, it was a voluntary spot on a local radio show while Heupel is on the road recruiting. He knew this question was coming, and could easily have just found an excuse to not do the show had he not wanted to address the rumors in any way.

It also could just have been a nice ploy to get out there, not plainly deny any connection to the OU job but say he loves UT in the coded language that these coaches use to lobby for a raise.
I won’t disagree with any of this. He played semantics and I’m aware I’m arguing semantics as well. If he left us tomorrow for OU, which I DON’T think he does, I simply won’t be surprised or feel like he “lied” to the fanbase because of his answer this morning. I would say well he left it open ended enough to cover his bases.

Reactions: RhodesVol
Wont be surprised if bob stoops stays permanently. Kind of always felt this was the plan for Bob to come back. He was burnt out and wanted a break. Now hes itching to coach again and didnt want to go to just any school. Gave Lincoln his big break as OC then put a good word for him to be HC once he retired. Lincoln is young and has world ahead of him so it wouldn’t have been hard for him to go to another school

Haha, we're so BVS affected, the slightest crumb falls off the table and we're high fiving.
Chillax...the "gods are smiling upon us"... again.
GBO!!!

Reactions: Sara Clark
I won’t disagree with any of this. He played semantics and I’m aware I’m arguing semantics as well. If he left us tomorrow for OU, which I DON’T think he does, I simply won’t be surprised or feel like he “lied” to the fanbase because of his answer this morning. I would say well he left it open ended enough to cover his bases.

Oh, totally.

Go look at Mel Tucker's words before taking the MSU job.

On February 8, 2020, he tweeted, "While I am flattered to be considered for the HC job @MSU_football, I am committed to @CUBuffsFootball for #TheBuild of our program, its great athletes, coaches & supporters. #Unfinished Business #GoBuffs"

He took the MSU job on February 12.

Brian Kelly said he wasn't leaving Notre Dame "unless that fairy godmother comes by with that $250M check," and then added that he still might have to check with his wife first. He took the LSU job seven days later.

So, far more concrete denials have proven to be nothing more than lies. However, I tend to believe Heupel when he says he wants to be here. The way he embraced our fans after the Ole Miss game is pretty endearing.

Quite frankly Heupel is not really ready/deserving of taking on the Oklahoma job at this point. He's less than a year removed from UCF. If he gets the OU job it's because they got rejected by a lot of candidates. I'd be more worried about him leaving after enjoying a few good yrs here. I get the PTSD as a Vol fan, though. I got some of that going on myself

Quite frankly Heupel is not really ready/deserving of taking on the Oklahoma job at this point. He's less than a year removed from UCF. If he gets the OU job it's because they got rejected by a lot of candidates. I'd be more worried about him leaving after enjoying a few good yrs here. I get the PTSD as a Vol fan, though. I got some of that going on myself

He was not an exciting hire a year ago for us, even after the years of disfunction and problems. He absolutely overachieved here this season, so maybe we are inflating his value due to our perspective. I agree with you there.

I think his performance this year, combined with the natural connection to OU (which as has been said may be strained), makes people understandably nervouse. BUT, I agree with you that they would almost assuredly have to strike out on several candidates to get to Heupel on their list. Unfortunately, we watched USC do just that with Kiffen, so people are testy.

If there was any truth to him leaving, he wouldn't be getting any commitments right now. Recruits and players aren't stupid and they read social media, especially with his ties to OU. If we start seeing commitments flip and integral players enter the portal then there will be something to worry about
Yeah the ND coaching staff thought that too until the one coach walked out of a recruit’s house to learn Kelly was leaving. I believe he will be staying but there are no guarantees. Ask OU regarding Riley and who could forget Saban and Miami.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I read it a bit differently.

I think Josh Heupel really, really wants to say, in very certain terms, "Hey, I'm here for the long haul. I'm not going anywhere. This is where I see myself coaching for years and years. We have championships to win."

But his agent is undoubtedly begging him, BEGGING him, not to tie his hands that way. Probably making a very persuasive argument about the need to keep at least a little uncertainty in play so that salary increases and extensions remain in the conversation. It's how you get a raise as a football coach.

So Josh goes as far as he can without causing his agent to jump off a cliff. And he eagerly goes out looking for a chance to say it. Asks if Ainge will interview him. Asks if he will. All so Josh can give as clear a message to the fan base (and recruits) about his future plans as his agent can live with.

That's how I'm reading these particular tea leaves. There's no doubt in my mind we have Josh Heupel long term.
Tone of voice meant a lot when listening.. Sounded positive to me. Also the fact he took the interview just for that reason... I listen to the EA show with @briancrice every day... Josh don't just do a quick random Q&A like that...

Tone of voice meant a lot when listening.. Sounded positive to me. Also the fact he took the interview just for that reason... I listen to the EA show with @briancrice every day... Josh don't just do a quick random Q&A like that...
Exactly context matters. This was a voluntary thing Josh did for us. It’s not like this was one of those obligatory post game press conferences

VN Store

Back