Tim Banks to Duke? That wouldn't be good

In reality, the guy has been in a DC role in some capacity for 15 years.

Some say: wait it out—there will be better offers, but this may be the only offer.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I think hes got a lot of work to do as a DC. Seems our D couldn't get off the field on 3rd and 4th downs, our zone defense was awful at times. I would like to see him have 3 or 4 more seasons as a DC to know for sure.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Lol

I sure wouldn’t want to “start” my HC career at Duke.

Don’t get me wrong……if you could go say 7-5 a year or 2, you might could jump out to something better real quick.

However that place screams of where coaches go to retire or die (if their not old enough to simply retire).

Reactions: Volflyfisher
I don’t think he needs to do this. I believe he needs to stay and build upon his record here. He is very valuable to this coaching staff. Hype could sure use him for at least 3 to 4 years. I think one day, he could be a great coach, but I just don’t think now is the time.

Lol

I sure wouldn’t want to “start” my HC career at Duke.

Don’t get me wrong……if you could go say 7-5 a year or 2, you might could jump out to something better real quick.

However that place screams of where coaches go to retire or die (if their not old enough to simply retire).

This honestly what I was thinking though. Let’s say hypothetically he even went below .500 over 4 seasons but put up these records:
2-10
5-7
7-5
7-5

That kind of upward trend could allow him to jump to a mid tier Big10/Pac12 school.

Of course, that’s a lofty hypothetical but who knows what kind of crew he could assemble. May have some ideas.

Reactions: JoAllan
It’s not career suicide for Banks, but he just needs to chill and be patient.

He’s in a sweet spot with a guy who basically lets him do his thing with no interference. Sit tight, build a resume, and get you a real job when it opens in a couple more years.

Reactions: 67Vol and irish1485
It wasn't career suicide for Spurrier.
Cut had some decent years there. Seems like he got them to a few bowl games.

Vandy is career suicide

Duke needs a coach who is going to excite and win periodically with points, not D.
So, I don't think it's a good fit for Banks, but it might temporarily fatten his Bank account.

Going thru the process is good for him personally to grow and connect to the ACC.
There will be better, future openings there.

This honestly what I was thinking though. Let’s say hypothetically he even went below .500 over 4 seasons but put up these records:
2-10
5-7
7-5
7-5

That kind of upward trend could allow him to jump to a mid tier Big10/Pac12 school.

Of course, that’s a lofty hypothetical but who knows what kind of crew he could assemble. May have some ideas.

Yea the only way you could go there was with the thinking you would leave for anything better as soon as you could.

Otherwise……….you kill your career.

The Banks bashing on here is funny.

We have a limited roster taking 80 snaps a game, yet we are near the top in the country in TFLs. Yes, we struggle on third downs, but both the TFL stat and the third down issues point to LB play, which was always our weakest position group. There is little CTB can do except develop the guys he has.

Banks has grown leaps and bounds and even Beasley is a lot better than he was early in the year. The entire defense looks prepared every game though. They just aren’t as talented as we would like. But they don’t give up. They fly to the ball. All the fundamentals have improved tremendously.

Not a single position group on defense has performed worse than could be expected.

I am not sure what else he could do.

Tony B had a guy on his show today saying it was between Banks, Tony Elliott and Marcus Freeman. I sure hope we can keep banks. I was hoping to keep this staff together for a few years and get some stability.
Thinking Freeman would be the favorite at Notre Dame. Elliot’s stock has dropped but the temptation to poach a conference foe could factor.

It's all about the Benjamins. If he fails at Duke he will still be sought after as a coordinator after cashing in.

VN Store

Back