Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

I didn't have a multi-million $$ contract when I visited Oklahoma, either.

I can still tell which place I'd rather live.

So what's your point? That a head coach making millions could get a nicer mansion in CA than in OK, or a nicer car, or send his kids to nicer schools? Doubt that. In fact, probably the opposite, given taxation and cost of living differences.

Being miserable while rich is not much different than being miserable while poor, or being miserable while somewhere in the middle. You're still miserable. And being stuck in the middle of what passes as society in California, that's what causes misery.
His point is that level of money buys a lifestyle that doesn’t exist in Oklahoma and is very likely NOT the lifestyle you were living in California so your viewpoint on it isn’t relevant.

All this move by the dude at Oklahoma tells me is he is a BETA. Yeah I said it. He wants no part of coaching in the SEC. We have the RIGHT HFC. Heupel will laugh if Oklahoma calls. I believe that but he may get a raise

That may be case with Riley but leaving OU because you don’t want to deal with an SEC schedule 4 years from now doesn’t seem like a legit argument…. Even Sankey has said that 2025 is best case for OU and Texas to join.

Riley could have simply been tired of Norman. Also why not change jobs when your stock is at its hottest. Of course, could be that USC offered him the brinks truck. If it comes out that Riley is getting 10+ million, we’d all be saying he’s a moron for not taking it and stay at OU

Reactions: Sat330pmAppt
His point is that level of money buys a lifestyle that doesn’t exist in Oklahoma and is very likely NOT the lifestyle you were living in California so your viewpoint on it isn’t relevant.
It amuses me when someone appears who thinks that money buys happiness. Or that a place like Oklahoma can never provide the same level of happiness as a place like California.

That's a very shallow understanding of the human condition. But probably not a rare perspective in California.

Why would Oklahoma want Heupel? Aren't there more credentialed coaches out there they would covet? They are Oklahoma. They can get just about anyone they want.

It amuses me when someone appears who thinks that money buys happiness. Or that a place like Oklahoma can never provide the same level of happiness as a place like California.

That's a very shallow understanding of the human condition. But probably not a rare perspective in California.
Its very clear you aren't a fan of California. Also very clear that you weren't in the same setup that Riley is getting in California.....

It amuses me when someone appears to pass off their personal opinion on something as fact and the prevailing belief by everyone......

Unless you were the head coach of USC and getting paid 30-50 million dollars for your time there, your personal opinion means nothing to Riley's choice and motivating factors to leave Norman for Los Angeles......

Anyone have visibility to what they are saying on the OU message boards? I'm curious if their fans are calling for Heupel.

Reactions: Wireless1

Well said.

I know OK well. The Sooner, Cowboy, Cherokee lifestyle (even Norman) suits me fine. I wouldn’t take double the money to live in southern CA.

Last edited:
I get the comfort of White as AD. But it just seems to me that if you’re Heupel at Tennessee and OU comes calling to interview at least and offer at best, you have to take that job because of the short term window.

Tennessee isn’t competing for conference titles or playoff spots over the next two years. Whoever takes the OU job immediately walks into competing for a playoff spot while getting 6-8 million per year.

Just seems odd that if given an offer, Heupel would turn down almost instant playoff contention so he can stay at a rebuild that may contend for a playoff spot at best as earlier as 2023/2024 season

Valid concerns.

If Heupel ends up leaving somehow, White is much better a leader to handle finding a replacement than any of our previous ADs going back to Mike Hamilton, the fool who presided over the start of our program’s decline. That said, I have no idea how likely (or unlikely) a Heupel departure might be.

It’ll be the most Tennessee thing ever if he pulls a Kiffin. Should he do so, he better get out of town quicker than Lane did. It’ll be ugly.

Like everyone else, I’m pretty darn tired of these idiotic roller coaster rides. I can do without another coaching search.

You’re being ridiculous. Riley can be a millionaire in Norman, OK or Los Angeles. If I’m him, I’m going to Cali without even having to think.
Am I ? Sounds pretty damn solid to me.... It truly is a beta move. WHO is more relevant in CFB right now ?? WHO is joing the best conference in all of Football Oklahoma..... He is a Beta

Why would Oklahoma want Heupel? Aren't there more credentialed coaches out there they would covet? They are Oklahoma. They can get just about anyone they want.

I mean its pretty clear why they would have Heupel on their short list or they SHOULD have him.....

OU job just opened up and is late to the show of candidates.

OU isn't going to hire a defensive guy so the likes of Fickell and Aranda, two of the hottest names in the market, aren't going to cut it. OU is rumored to be going after Kingsbury, another offensive guy.

Heupel just walked into Tennessee with a transfer QB and depleted roster and had one of the most prolific offenses in school history and in the nation. He would be walking into a loaded roster and stacked recruiting setup.

I'm going out on a limb and assuming that OU's admin and AD are competent people who aren't dumb like Tennessee of the 2010's was.

VN Store

Back