Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

All this move by the dude at Oklahoma tells me is he is a BETA. Yeah I said it. He wants no part of coaching in the SEC. We have the RIGHT HFC. Heupel will laugh if Oklahoma calls. I believe that but he may get a raise

OU is a linear jump for Hueple at best. Remember OU is joining the SEC and with their never had a defense mentality would be lucky to finish above 500 in SEC play. That is the issue at OU and the reason Riley left to the easier Pac 19

Please explain how OU is a linear move. Provide actual stats for your defense.

Where would you rather live? Sunny LA or Norman, Oklahoma. He may be competing against the SEC but he still lives in Norman. I don’t blame him one bit, I’ve been to OU and well it’s in Oklahoma.
I've lived in California.

I never want to live there again.

Basket case state with bad politics, consequently horrific taxes and cost of living in general, truly weird people (some good people, too, but WAY more than their share of weird ones), and no seasons. Can't think of much good to say about it, tbh. Unless you like fawning over movie stars, there's not much there. Oh, nice beaches. Whew, found something nice to say.

[not saying Oklahoma's dreamy, either, but at least the people there are genuine]

Go Vols!

I've lived in California.

I never want to live there again.

Basket case state with bad politics, consequently horrific taxes and cost of living in general, truly weird people (some good people, too, but WAY more than their share of weird ones), and no seasons. Can't think of much good to say about it, tbh. Unless you like fawning over movie stars, there's not much there. Oh, nice beaches. Whew, found something nice to say.

[not saying Oklahoma's dreamy, either, but at least the people there are genuine]

Go Vols!

Did you have a 30-50 million dollar contract while living there?

I think the beef is mre between Stoops and Heuple than OK and Heuple

Stoops still throws around a lot of weight at OU and will for a long time. Huepel knows this, but it’s possible they could make amends If JH wants to return—something I’m not certain of.

Folks have been suspecting Rattler in the transfer portal soon, but Caleb Williams becomes another candIdate now, though my guess is if he moved it would be to USC w/ Riley.

Lastly, I firmly believe Riley makes this move to avoid compeating in the SEC. He knew full well OU winning a run of championships—which their fans expect—was about to be a pipe dream.

I find this as a wuss move, but it also may be the smartest thing for Riley in the end.

Last edited:
The thing that is lessening my symptoms of BVS is the presence of our new AD. White seems like he knows what he’s doing. We haven’t had an AD worth a crap for more than 20 years - Hamilton, Hart, Currie, and Fulmer were all dreadfully incompetent. With White in the AD position, we might actually have a guy in charge who can handle this situation — if it IS really a situation, of course.

I don't see Heupel being the kind of dude to leave in the middle of the night. I could be wrong, money talks and all, but I don't see it.

If he does leave like that, I think it would be safe to assume the investigation stuff is worse than we think.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Did you have a 30-50 million dollar contract while living there?
I didn't have a multi-million $$ contract when I visited Oklahoma, either.

I can still tell which place I'd rather live.

So what's your point? That a head coach making millions could get a nicer mansion in CA than in OK, or a nicer car, or send his kids to nicer schools? Doubt that. In fact, probably the opposite, given taxation and cost of living differences.

Being miserable while rich is not much different than being miserable while poor, or being miserable while somewhere in the middle. You're still miserable. And being stuck in the middle of what passes as society in California, that's what causes misery.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
The thing that is lessening my symptoms of BVS is the presence of our new AD. White seems like he knows what he’s doing. We haven’t had an AD worth a crap for more than 20 years - Hamilton, Hart, Currie, and Fulmer were all dreadfully incompetent. With White in the AD position, we might actually have a guy in charge who can handle this situation — if it IS really a situation, of course.

I get the comfort of White as AD. But it just seems to me that if you’re Heupel at Tennessee and OU comes calling to interview at least and offer at best, you have to take that job because of the short term window.

Tennessee isn’t competing for conference titles or playoff spots over the next two years. Whoever takes the OU job immediately walks into competing for a playoff spot while getting 6-8 million per year.

Just seems odd that if given an offer, Heupel would turn down almost instant playoff contention so he can stay at a rebuild that may contend for a playoff spot at best as earlier as 2023/2024 season

All this move by the dude at Oklahoma tells me is he is a BETA. Yeah I said it. He wants no part of coaching in the SEC. We have the RIGHT HFC. Heupel will laugh if Oklahoma calls. I believe that but he may get a raise
You’re being ridiculous. Riley can be a millionaire in Norman, OK or Los Angeles. If I’m him, I’m going to Cali without even having to think.

I didn't have a multi-million $$ contract when I visited Oklahoma, either.

I can still tell which place I'd rather live.

So what's your point? That a head coach making millions could get a nicer mansion in CA than in OK, or a nicer car, or send his kids to nicer schools? Doubt that. In fact, probably the opposite, given taxation and cost of living differences.

Being miserable while rich is not much different than being miserable while poor, or being miserable while somewhere in the middle. You're still miserable. And being around that passes as society in California, that's what causes misery.

You’re casting off your opinion as fact…… your experience In both places have zero comparison to what Riley’s setup is/was/will be…… you hated CA cause of “bad politics”….. that has zero to do with being a football coach at USC.

Reactions: kcvols1

VN Store

Back