Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

OU is a linear jump for Hueple at best. Remember OU is joining the SEC and with their never had a defense mentality would be lucky to finish above 500 in SEC play. That is the issue at OU and the reason Riley left to the easier Pac 19

I’d roll with Banks and save ourselves the embarrassment of being turned down by every other option. If they had given the spot to Kippy when Lane left we wouldn’t be in the spot we are now. The market will be deeper next year.

(1) Lincoln Riley is clearly afraid of competing with the big boys. Has a perfect bed made for himself at Oklahoma...except they're shifting to the SEC in the next couple of years. So he jumps ship. It will probably emerge that it wasn't even for much more money.

(2) We've nothing to worry about. First, it's a year or two too soon for Heupel to be THAT hot a commodity. Once we're winning the East with him, THEN he'll be the guy places like Oklahoma salivate over. But not yet.

(3) Reason #2 for us having nothing to worry about. Heupel doesn't feel drawn to Oklahoma. It's not his dream job. He's from South Dakota. I don't know who he cheered for as a kid, but it wasn't the Sooners. By the time he got to Oklahoma, in his junior year, he was a seasoned surfer of the college transfer. Oklahoma was just another step up. I'm sure he's fond of it, but there's no "Kiffin to USC" mojo at work here.

(4) Reason #3 for us not having any reason to worry: Dan White. A little while ago, Dan probably called Josh. "Hey, you see the news?" "Yeah, a little surprising." "Agreed. You need anything?" "No, man, I'm good." "Okay, see you tomorrow." They have a relationship that transcends location. As they've already proven.

It's a fun situation to watch, playing out in Oklahoma and California right now, but has nothing to do with us.

Go Vols!
Their positive relationship is a huge plus for us right now. He retained Vitello against the odds we can do it again

OU is a linear jump for Hueple at best. Remember OU is joining the SEC and with their never had a defense mentality would be lucky to finish above 500 in SEC play. That is the issue at OU and the reason Riley left to the easier Pac 19
Pac 10

It’s not a better job when the pendulum can flip in a matter of a season. That’s what happened to us after Lane. Went from being a legendary job to a train wreck. We’ve really improved the infrastructure of the program. Everything is in place. OU could be about to implode

OU implodes if they let emotion obstruct their judgement. That’s exactly what Tennessee did. I doubt OU is going implode because I don’t think they can top Tennessee’s stupidity from the 2010’s

I’m glad that the OU job is opening now and not next year because Heupel would be Oklahoma’s top target after he has a 10+ win season in 2022.

Reactions: usagary

OU is winning 10+ games every year, contending for a playoff spot every year, and pays 7-8 million every year.

Tennessee is legit 2-3 seasons away from saying any one of those things.

Since OU is at best joining the SEC for the 2025 season (Sankey’s words), the OU job isn’t a lateral move from Tennessee.

OU implodes if they let emotion obstruct their judgement. That’s exactly what Tennessee did. I doubt OU is going implode because I don’t think they can top Tennessee’s stupidity from the 2010’s
I think you’d be surprised. Lots of these athletic departments are just rich guys in suites, they can eff up a sports decision real quick

One of the most stunning and unexpected things I’ve seen, and I expect more explanations will leak out at some point, but from what I’ve heard so far, his relationship with Grantham and Hevesy became really toxic and that spilled over to dysfunction within the team. And his relationship with AD Stricklin went bad too, mostly over Mullen not really wanting to hear from the AD about things like recruiting and coaching staff changes.

But I generally agree, he’s a helluva good coach and still has some good tread on his tires. He’ll get another shot somewhere.
I am curious because the Mullen to VaTech idea makes a lot of sense to me. AD here is low key and boosters are pretty easy to keep happy. If Mullen could rein in the goofiness, I could see him having a good run here.

(1) Lincoln Riley is clearly afraid of competing with the big boys. Has a perfect bed made for himself at Oklahoma...except they're shifting to the SEC in the next couple of years. So he jumps ship. It will probably emerge that it wasn't even for much more money.

(2) We've nothing to worry about. First, it's a year or two too soon for Heupel to be THAT hot a commodity. Once we're winning the East with him, THEN he'll be the guy places like Oklahoma salivate over. But not yet.

(3) Reason #2 for us having nothing to worry about. Heupel doesn't feel drawn to Oklahoma. It's not his dream job. He's from South Dakota. I don't know who he cheered for as a kid, but it wasn't the Sooners. By the time he got to Oklahoma, in his junior year, he was a seasoned surfer of the college transfer. Oklahoma was just another step up. I'm sure he's fond of it, but there's no "Kiffin to USC" mojo at work here.

(4) Reason #3 for us not having any reason to worry: Dan White. A little while ago, Dan probably called Josh. "Hey, you see the news?" "Yeah, a little surprising." "Agreed. You need anything?" "No, man, I'm good." "Okay, see you tomorrow." They have a relationship that transcends location. As they've already proven.

Bottom line: it's a fun situation to watch, playing out in Oklahoma and California right now, but has nothing to do with us.

Go Vols!
Where would you rather live? Sunny LA or Norman, Oklahoma. He may be competing against the SEC but he still lives in Norman. I don’t blame him one bit, I’ve been to OU and well it’s in Oklahoma.

Reactions: therealitytheory
Interesting to see what happens. I view Mullen as someone getting served humble pie with his firing because of recruiting slipping. Does he adapt and learn and climb back or does he set in his ways and not change.

🎯

Only a fan of us would ever even remotely consider Oklahoma as a linear move from here. Oklahoma is a giant leap above us.

Not really understanding the Riley leaving OU for USC. Seems like a lateral move to me. I thought Riley would get a NFL job at some point. Another thing to consider is the fact that Stoops had the cupboard stocked pretty good before Riley took over but that’s not the case at USC. He could struggle a bit at first

Maybe Riley doesn’t want any part of the SEC

VN Store

Back