Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

JH doesn’t seem like the type to jump ship after 1 season. However, money does talk. So I’ll be interested in seeing if we see movement by the athletic department in terms of a raise. If we do, then that tells me Oklahoma came sniffing and we told them to screw off. I’ll also add that as much as I respect JH, I don’t think he’s proven himself quite yet in the big leagues to be at the top of OU’s list.

So that warrants a big time raise? What if we only win 6 next year?
What if we win 10 like Kiffin did in his 2nd year at Ole Miss. Name another coach that could do what Hueple done in his first year with everything going around the program and have 30 transfers. Most media experts had UT finishing 13th in the SEC, but instead we finished 6th. Most projections had Ut winning 4 games and we won 7 and headed for an 8th. We lost to Ole Miss and Pitt in the final seconds of both games. Also had a lead against every team we played in the 3rd or 4th quarter and depth became an issue. give Hueple a full team and couple full recruiting classes and I think everyone will be happy with the results more often than not. And don’t forget we finished 4-4 in the SEC in Hueple first year. Jimbo Fisher is in his 4th year and finished 7th in the SEC.

I don’t think you really know how raises work in college athletics or even in private businesses. You give as a reward and future stability.

Right. Like I said TN has done this before. How did it work out? Not so well. In a private business you want to see sustained production, not flash in the pan success.

OU is the better job in the present than Tennessee. At OU you walk immediately into playoff contention. At Tennessee, we are “hoping” at best to sniff 8-10 wins next year…..

From a pro vs con perspective, Heupel would be making bad career decision to not take the OU job IF OFFERED or requested to interview.

PS- Before the crazies accuse me of hating Heupel, I very much want him to stay. Just keeping things objective.
No it’s not. We could easily jump them in a few seasons if we play our cards right. We must retain Heupel at any cost

OU is the better job in the present than Tennessee. At OU you walk immediately into playoff contention. At Tennessee, we are “hoping” at best to sniff 8-10 wins next year…..

From a pro vs con perspective, Heupel would be making bad career decision to not take the OU job IF OFFERED or requested to interview.

PS- Before the crazies accuse me of hating Heupel, I very much want him to stay. Just keeping things objective.

I would agree with you for next season it’s a better job. Long term I don’t think it is. Once both are in the SEC, I’d prefer TN. More in state talent, more money for recruiting, and if Oklahoma ends up in an SEC west with auburn, Bama, A&M, and LSU, good luck

Reactions: USF grad in TN
I don't see Heupel going to OU. I think he is in a place with an AD that he trusts and can get a good raise here. Not sure if that matters, but just going there and trusting their AD and following Lincoln Riley just isn't something I would think is super attractive to him even if he played a year at OU.

What if we win 10 like Kiffin did in his 2nd year at Ole Miss. Name another coach that could do what Hueple done in his first year with everything going around the program and have 30 transfers. Most media experts had UT finishing 13th in the SEC, but instead we finished 6th. Most projections had Ut winning 4 games and we won 7 and headed for an 8th. We lost to Ole Miss and Pitt in the final seconds of both games. Also had a lead against every team we played in the 3rd or 4th quarter and depth became an issue. give Hueple a full team and couple full recruiting classes and I think everyone will be happy with the results more often than not.

Exactly my point. We don’t know. Now let’s say he wins 8-9 next year and then maybe 10 in year 3. Then I could see a big raise and extension. Look at what you just said, give Heupel a full team. He doesn’t have that now and won’t for probably 2 more years. Hence my stance of waiting until year 3.

Reactions: Checker_the_Shire
No it’s not. We could easily jump them in a few seasons if we play our cards right. We must retain Heupel at any cost

You say it’s not a better job in the present then immediately say why we need a few seasons aka THE FUTURE to be a better job.

Exactly my point. We don’t know. Now let’s say he wins 8-9 next year and then maybe 10 in year 3. Then I could see a big raise and extension. Look at what you just said, give Heupel a full team. He doesn’t have that now and won’t for probably 2 more years. Hence my stance of waiting until year 3.
But can we afford to wait around and lose another coach due to money in his first year? I don’t think we can afford to sit on our hands if Oklahoma calls.

Reactions: EBFVOL
Right. Like I said TN has done this before. How did it work out? Not so well. In a private business you want to see sustained production, not flash in the pan success.
Do you understand the concept of stability? Citing examples of it not working does not change the fact it does in fact work. If you don’t think Heupel will get a raise an extension you are just naive. That helps in recruiting. When you are dealing with budgets of this volume. Most importantly it’s not your money so why do you give a crap?

Seems like most analysts predict Stoops to return as interim until they identify a new coach. Wouldn't be surprised to see him stock around a couple years, tbh.

(1) Lincoln Riley is clearly afraid of competing with the big boys. Has a perfect bed made for himself at Oklahoma...except they're shifting to the SEC in the next couple of years. So he jumps ship. It will probably emerge that it wasn't even for much more money.

(2) We've nothing to worry about. First, it's a year or two too soon for Heupel to be THAT hot a commodity. Once we're winning the East with him, THEN he'll be the guy places like Oklahoma salivate over. But not yet.

(3) Reason #2 for us having nothing to worry about. Heupel doesn't feel drawn to Oklahoma. It's not his dream job. He's from South Dakota. I don't know who he cheered for as a kid, but it wasn't the Sooners. By the time he got to Oklahoma, in his junior year, he was a seasoned surfer of the college transfer. Oklahoma was just another step up. I'm sure he's fond of it, but there's no "Kiffin to USC" mojo at work here.

(4) Reason #3 for us not having any reason to worry: Dan White. A little while ago, Dan probably called Josh. "Hey, you see the news?" "Yeah, a little surprising." "Agreed. You need anything?" "No, man, I'm good." "Okay, see you tomorrow." They have a relationship that transcends location. As they've already proven.

Bottom line: it's a fun situation to watch, playing out in Oklahoma and California right now, but has nothing to do with us.

Go Vols!

Seems like most analysts predict Stoops to return as interim until they identify a new coach. Wouldn't be surprised to see him stock around a couple years, tbh.
I don't think Bob Stoops will ever coach in the SEC. By his own choice. He has said too many strongly disparaging things about the conference. So...whenever the Oklahoma & Texas moves happens, Stoops is done at LATEST the season prior to that.

Reactions: Carp
You say it’s not a better job in the present then immediately say why we need a few seasons aka THE FUTURE to be a better job.
It’s not a better job when the pendulum can flip in a matter of a season. That’s what happened to us after Lane. Went from being a legendary job to a train wreck. We’ve really improved the infrastructure of the program. Everything is in place. OU could be about to implode

(1) Lincoln Riley is clearly afraid of competing with the big boys. Has a perfect bed made for himself at Oklahoma...except they're shifting to the SEC in the next couple of years. So he jumps ship. It will probably emerge that it wasn't even for much more money.

(2) We've nothing to worry about. First, it's a year or two too soon for Heupel to be THAT hot a commodity. Once we're winning the East with him, THEN he'll be the guy places like Oklahoma salivate over. But not yet.

(3) Reason #2 for us having nothing to worry about. Heupel doesn't feel drawn to Oklahoma. It's not his dream job. He's from South Dakota. I don't know who he cheered for as a kid, but it wasn't the Sooners. By the time he got to Oklahoma, in his junior year, he was a seasoned surfer of the college transfer. Oklahoma was just another step up. I'm sure he's fond of it, but there's no "Kiffin to USC" mojo at work here.

(4) Reason #3 for us not having any reason to worry: Dan White. A little while ago, Dan probably called Josh. "Hey, you see the news?" "Yeah, a little surprising." "Agreed. You need anything?" "No, man, I'm good." "Okay, see you tomorrow." They have a relationship that transcends location. As they've already proven.

It's a fun situation to watch, playing out in Oklahoma and California right now, but has nothing to do with us.

Go Vols!
Illegal wire tapping of phones. Call the Feds.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
A private jet just landed at the Knoxville Airport from Norman Oklahoma rumor has it some alumni and big boosters on the jet.

OU is in the SEC in a couple years anyways, so any advantages it has is going out the window soon. If CJH is happy here, it makes all the sense in the world to tell OU no. You can win just as big as UT as you can at OU in the next few years.

Yes but UNTIL OU is in the SEC, they will be contending for the playoff EVERY YEAR, they will be winning 10-12 games EVERY YEAR, they will be paying 6-8 million EVERY YEAR.

Just seems dumb for Heupel to not take the instant job upgrade while OU gets to hire a SEC coach who has some idea how to coach and transition to SEC.

Just saying that Heupel would be dumb to not consider OU and OU would be equally dumb if they don’t request to interview him at the least.

“Hey Josh, talk to us about the SEC. You obviously feel you can rebuild a program in the SEC with a depleted roster. Do you think you can transition a Big 12 program to the SEC with a loaded roster and top classes coming year after year?”

Easy sell if OU is smart.

VN Store

Back