I respect Fulmer a little more after each game we lose

I understand all of that, but how long had Fulmer been here compared to Butch? He wasn’t gonna win another Natty, he backed into both of those East division titles in that time period.

“Backed into a division title”……

2004 we went 7-1 in league play including a 6-0 record in the East.

2007 we went 6-2 in league play including a 5-1 record in the East.

He couldn’t beat Florida and fans were getting fed up. That’s the way I remember it.

Wow, these threads are insane. Did so many of you guys really think UT had a shot yesterday? Some of you are coming off as desperate and pathetic. A real shot at 7-5 and a bowl is phenomenal considering the circumstances and this roster. Some of y’all need to come back down to earth. Taking this L a little too hard.

Yet he won the division twice and had 3 ten win seasons that time span you are equating him to Butch. Butch literally doesn’t even come close to touching anything Fulmer related.
He only had 2 SEC championships in 17 years with elite talent and was gifted a highly developed program. His incompetence as an athletic director has everything to do where this program is right now.

People seem to forget that coach Cut was the main reason that Fulmer Won so much.

When Coach Cut left the program went downhill fast.

When he came back the program went back up again.

When he left again the program went downhill again.

Fulmer was a good recruiter but he also had some other good recruiters working for him.

We WON lots of games and that got us lots of headlines and excellent PR which helped recruiting.

We also got more great PR every time a top recruit signed with us.

I lost respect for Fulmer when it became so obvious that the only things he cared about was having his power and filling his bank accounts.

It's way past time to forget him and move on.

VFL...GBO!!!

He only had 2 SEC championships in 17 years with elite talent and was gifted a highly developed program. His incompetence as an athletic director has everything to do where this program is right now.

So now you’re changing the discussion?

Ole boy said Fulmer’s last 6-8 seasons was nothing better than Butch did. That’s blatantly false.

Even with his only 2 league titles, we were on track to go to Atlanta every 3-4 for seasons. Meanwhile, 4 coaches later, we haven’t sniffed Atlanta once.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Here are all the ways 2002-2008 (Fulmer's latter years) were better than 2013-2017 (Jones tenure):
  • Fulmer's latter record was 57-32. Butch's was 34-29. That's a 64% win rate for Phillip, versus 54% for Butch.
  • Fulmer won the SEC East twice in that time period. Butch never won the division.
  • Fulmer had three (3) 10-win seasons in that window. Butch never got to double digits.
  • Fulmer's worst season was 5-7. Butch achieved a team history worst, at 4-8.
  • Ditto in SEC play: Fulmer's worst ever was 3-5. Butch took us to the cellar at 0-8.

There is simply no comparison between the two. Fulmer's worst years were still significantly better than the Butch Jones era, or the Dooley era, or the Pruitt era.

Folks like to hate on Phillip Fulmer, but he was one helluva great coach. Second best in our team's history. You don't get to a lifetime 75% win rate being a scrub.

But, haters gonna hate.

Go Vols!
Fulmer in his last 4 seasons was one of the biggest underachievers in college football. Worse than Derek Dooley and Butch Jones. The guy TANKED.

FBSH looked at coaches over a 10 year period w at least 3 seasons. Fulmer was among the worst underachievers
Which coaches over- or underachieve the most?

Last edited:
It may be that Coach Fulmer’s biggest problem was related to his inability to spell. I’m told he kept trying to spell Citrus without UT. But I can’t confirm that.

Reactions: sonofUT62
We make a big deal about winning games nowadays he use to win blindfolded. I’m not sure we will ever get back within being 75% of the win production he produced . Recruiting is the key. Must needs. Vol for life , hate losing especially to Georgia.

Fulmer is a large part of why we are where we are. He hired cornbread, gave him an extension, and didn’t know the first thing about being an AD. He has also raped this University when it comes to money, his greed knows no bounds. Yet, he “cares so much” about this school.

Fulmer is a large part of why we are where we are. He hired cornbread, gave him an extension, and didn’t know the first thing about being an AD. He has also raped this University when it comes to money, his greed knows no bounds. Yet, he “cares so much” about this school.

Cornbread don’t get hired in the first place if the absolutely horrible management of Hamilton, Hart, and Currie doesn’t occur for the 7 years before Pruitt was even hired.

Fulmer made a horrible hire but when he took over as AD, he was given a sh!t sandwich and a very abbreviated time period to make a hire.

With that said, Heupel is now here and obviously isn’t doing the usual Year Zero schtik we are accustomed to from coaches.

Considering that Pruitt was fired with cause, the extension literally means nothing as well. And you’re honestly gonna choose Fulmer’s buyouts as a problem? Lol. Plenty of gripes to go around with Phil but you’re gonna go after the buyouts? Lmao

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Fulmer hired Cornbread which is the worst hire of a coach in UT history IMO. But as far as leading and coaching the program their has been no coaches hired since him that could hold his jock strap. Ole kiffy has not won a dam thing and the jury is out on Coach Hype . The admin went about firing him all wrong and the replacements were even worse.

We make a big deal about winning games nowadays he use to win blindfolded. I’m not sure we will ever get back within being 75% of the win production he produced . Recruiting is the key. Must needs. Vol for life , hate losing especially to Georgia.

You think Fulmer would be beating Kirby with this roster? . Some of Huepels decision making aggravate s the s***out of me, but he’s punched WAY above his weight with a depleted roster. As opposed to Fulmer who often underachieved.

Reactions: onevol74 and njvols
We all act like SEC E championships and 10 win seasons are worth nothing??? He deserved to be fired/retired both times, but to devalue what he did over those 17 seasons??? We are ready to throw a party for winning 7 games and going to a bowl this year (rightfully so) but it sure would be good to be back in the mix of sec championship discussions every 2-3 years or so. Gotta give fulmer credit on that in my opinion.

Not true in the least bit. Fulmer had 3 10 win seasons in that period. Butch...not so much

After being the HC for 10 years and was on a decline. Fulmer had a good run but things weren’t looking good, he had a losing record the year he got let go.

I respect him even less with each embarrassing loss this program suffers in the here and now given he directly steered this program into the ditch hiring Jeremy Pruitt.

The national title was over 20 years ago and he was well compensated for it.

He put his HC job in play with this Clawson hire and paid the price.
He put his AD job in play with the Pruitt hire and paid the price..

He will NOT be remembered as one of the greatest coaches of all time.

He won 152 games while losing 52
He won the NC
He brought us lots of positive exposure
He was elected president of the coaches association
I believe he is in the HOF
He will be back to host several teams reunions
He still has respect from most of his high profile guys including Al Wilson
He still has a street named after him
He and his staff left White a great bunch of coaches in all the other sports that were recently extended.

Like all of us he should be remembered by his total body of work, not his fateful failures.

Funny how those featuring embarrassing one sided posts bring up embarrassing losses.

I respect him a little less for hiring Jeremy Pruitt... after also interviewing Mel Tucker. He had a hand in Tennessee's current struggles.

He beat Florida, Alabama and Georgia during that span. Also won 2 east championships.

After over a decade of being the HC, he should. Winning the east is good and all, but winning the SEC Championship is what matters. He was great in the 90’s and hit his peak, not taking anything from him in that regard.

VN Store

Back