Lady Vols Softball

Popinjay?

200w.gif

Always good for a laugh.

That just shows really poor planning

How so? You typically don't have a practice scheduled after your last spring game, so leaving an extra day would mean planning to leave a practice on the table. Since they couldn't play Kentucky, they practiced in the indoor facility instead. So nothing lost, from a practice sense.

How so? You typically don't have a practice scheduled after your last spring game, so leaving an extra day would mean planning to leave a practice on the table. Since they couldn't play Kentucky, they practiced in the indoor facility instead. So nothing lost, from a practice sense.
Except these aren't spring games nor are they intra-squad games. You get your allotted games in then finish with practice. Very different than football

Except these aren't spring games nor are they intra-squad games. You get your allotted games in then finish with practice. Very different than football
Or your game(s) get cancelled and you practice. They had multiple inter squad days, practice and played enough innings to get an solid evaluation of the roster. Always nice to get games in, but there is enough at bats/innings/situations to have a good idea about who is what, where and when headed into the off-season.

Also doesn't make them right. Also how many SEC Championships has UT won the last 5 years? WCWS's?

Well, I can tell you that Alabama and Florida both conclude their fall seasons with a game weekend instead of a practice, and they fit both of your criteria. So please tell me what successful programs are doing it the way you suggest?

Reactions: jp1
Extra Inning Softball Rankings
Ranking University Total Points # of Top 200 Players# in Extra Elite 100
1Arkansas 1481 8 8
2UCLA 1320 7 7
3Ole Miss 1090 7 6
4North Carolina State 1063 7 6
5Purdue 1043 9 6
6LSU 1018 6 6
7Tennessee 967 6 5
8Arizona 943 5 5
9Duke 918 5 5
10Stanford 884 5 5

The state of Tennessee had 5 players in the Top 100, Tennessee got 1
Out of state players 4 in the Top 100- Pickens, Pannell, Rodriquez, Orsini
In-state- 1 in Top 100 in Mesusan
Sarvis -TN kid came in right outside the Top 100, solid player.

Ahlin, Brockenbrough both from solid travel programs not ranked- I would feel those two are top 200 type kids
Mosley, not ranked

This class was a first class where the NCAA contact rule went into place, throw Covid in as well and it's a unique recruiting circumstance for everyone. We took 4 kids from SC Elite who is a solid program regional program but on the outside of the Top Tier programs nationally. Having those players commit early was Marty McDaniels going away gift as he was working with them the summer of 2020 before heading off to GT.

Last edited:
Extra Inning Softball Rankings
Ranking University Total Points # of Top 200 Players# in Extra Elite 100
1Arkansas 1481 8 8
2UCLA 1320 7 7
3Ole Miss 1090 7 6
4North Carolina State 1063 7 6
5Purdue 1043 9 6
6LSU 1018 6 6
7Tennessee 967 6 5
8Arizona 943 5 5
9Duke 918 5 5
10Stanford 884 5 5

The state of Tennessee had 5 players in the Top 100, Tennessee got 1
Out of state players 4 in the Top 100- Pickens, Pannell, Rodriquez, Orsini
In-state- 1 in Top 100 in Mesusan
Sarvis -TN kid came in right outside the Top 100, solid player.

Ahlin, Brockenbrough both from solid travel programs not ranked- I would feel those two are top 200 type kids
Mosley, not ranked

This class was a first class where the NCAA contact rule went into place, throw Covid in as well and it's a unique recruiting circumstance for everyone. We took 4 kids from SC Elite who is a solid program regional program but on the outside of the Top Tier programs nationally. Having those players commit early was Marty McDaniels going away gift as he was working with them the summer of 2020 before heading off to GT.
Having top ranked players is always a good thing to have in order to be in the conversation for the top teams in the country every year, but I don’t think that top players in each class directly translates to success at the college level. I mean look at the 2019 recruiting class they were ranked #1 and only Milloy is the only one from that class that cracked the starting lineup. I think with the addition of Malveauxs as well as MRS we could take players who aren’t in the top 100 per say and create players who could be major contributors.

Having top ranked players is always a good thing to have in order to be in the conversation for the top teams in the country every year, but I don’t think that top players in each class directly translates to success at the college level. I mean look at the 2019 recruiting class they were ranked #1 and only Milloy is the only one from that class that cracked the starting lineup. I think with the addition of Malveauxs as well as MRS we could take players who aren’t in the top 100 per say and create players who could be major contributors.

That class seems alot like the class that will sign next week. It also had at one point Nyomi Jones (Ole Miss) and Jaelyn Operana ( juco) both from CA who were Top 100.
Kiki - starter- lived up to expectations
Turner- transfer
Fox - role player/starter
McCray- transfer
Hazelwood- transfer
Weber- role player/DH
Curran- hurt/cant crack lineup
Willingham- transfer

This incoming class with 9 players will be something to watch be managed.
Pickens and Pannell will hopefully be your class gems. After that, it'll be a get in the lineup early as they are deep across the field with players returning and very little turnover in graduates.

Last edited:
Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Thought it was interesting that of all the girls that signed yesterday Karen Weekly responded to Pickens and her mom .Pickens was the only recruit Karen tweeted to. Karen either liked or retweeted the other girls. Karen must be really hoping Pickens will be a great pitcher for her.

Intriguing for sure. I only say that because Karen uses twitter as a head nod to those she's interested in. This class will be interesting to watch, Pickens and Pannell are your class gems with early playing time. Destiny undersized but a big bat, after that with the extra year for covid will be interesting to see how the roster is managed. Bring in 10 players but lose 5 to graduation and 1 as of right now not returning in the spring.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Intriguing for sure. I only say that because Karen uses twitter as a head nod to those she's interested in. This class will be interesting to watch, Pickens and Pannell are your class gems with early playing time. Destiny undersized but a big bat, after that with the extra year for covid will be interesting to see how the roster is managed. Bring in 10 players but lose 5 to graduation and 1 as of right now not returning in the spring.
Karen is much more active on twitter these days. Destiny looks real good on video hitting. Karen appears to know at least where her bread is buttered. :)

Reactions: Majors
I had calculated us losing: Ayala, Morgan, Davis, Bender, Edmoundson, and Leach to graduation. Is one of those not returning in the spring? A couple of others I think might need to make decisions. Roster going forward will be very interesting. But we are adding depth.

Reactions: Majors
I had calculated us losing: Ayala, Morgan, Davis, Bender, Edmoundson, and Leach to graduation. Is one of those not returning in the spring? A couple of others I think might need to make decisions. Roster going forward will be very interesting. But we are adding depth.
They are retuning.

Out of curiosity who is the player that as of right now is not returning in the spring??

How does our recruiting class stack up against the rest of the SEC?
Here is Extra Inning Softball Top 10 and then I placed Texas and Oklahoma in with the SEC schools. Also their rankings only rank the Top 75, I don’t think Missouri was in there.

#1 Ark
#2 UCLA
#3 Ole Miss
#4 NC State
#5 Purdue
#6 LSU
#7 Tennessee
#8 Arizona
#9 Duke
#10 Stanford
#11 Texas
#13 UGA
#17 Miss State
#19 Oklahoma
#30 Kentucky
#31 Alabama
#32 Auburn
#33 Texas AM
#41 SC
#52 Florida

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Interesting to see Ole Miss, NC State and Purdue in there, especially Purdue, given that at least NC State and Ole Miss have been ranked the last few years. Also surprising to see Florida that low. And where is Bama?

VN Store

Back