Milton & the last play

In defense of the coaching staff I'm positive they thought that anybody with two working brain cells would know what to do. A decent peewee team would have known what to do.

I agree.

Like sending my kids to school and telling them don’t forget to breathe today.

Reactions: Tnslim1
It's easy to be hard on Milton watching the game on a couch...but Milton was put in a difficult spot, he hadn't played all game. Truth is Ole Miss probably had 7 guys sitting back in the end zone and also most of the receivers were on the right side (Milton had to roll left due to the pass rush). Once he realized he crossed the line of scrimmage, that was it...there was no one to lateral to and there was no way we would run it in even if he had stayed in bounds
I sat behind the UT bench and Milton was unengaged and not paying attention the entire game. During the last drive before Hooker got hurt, he was standing nowhere the field, chilling sooooo hard with Jimmy Calloway. He was not ready to go in. It was clear from his body language, he didn’t care to be in the stadium. I’m stunned nobody else has made mention of this as he acted this way the entire game. Go back to Michigan.

If you haven't, check out Coach's presser. @6:30 someone asks the question if he would have preferred Milton to take a shot at the end zone instead of going out of bounds. It is really funny

There was NO excuse for not attempting a pass into the end zone. ZERO situational awareness or just completely inept.

Reactions: jim43
It happened because the called play broke down. Milton improvised with a decision to scramble away from the pressure which meant he was a right handed passer rolling left. Plus his receivers were to the right. Then he had scrambled from a not so deep drop so he found himself across the line of scrimmage and knew that he could no longer pass the ball. All were decisions that had to be made in split seconds and backup college QBs are nearly 100% of the time going to make a bad decision in all of that.
He had a receiver in the left side of the end zone and one in the end zone about 15 yds from the side. An INT is irrelevant…just throw the ball in the end zone.

Reactions: jim43 and GoBears
No, very big deal. He should be kicked off the team. I'd not even let him back in UT facilities. A bus ticket out of Knoxville would be the last dime UT invested in him if it was up to me. Everyone in the stadium knew there was 3 seconds left and we had to score.
I've never seen someone with so much physical talent make such bone headed plays. He has the football IQ of a walrus

Reactions: jim43 and 508mikey
THIS.gif

Reactions: 508mikey
Thank you. The play begins at 5:43. I observe that Milton wanted to run right and throw to his receivers there. At 5:48, he starts to do that but #7 disengages from his block and turns Milton back (Milton perhaps could have eluded him, but he chooses to run away instead). This puts him on the left side of the field. At 5:50, he had the time and space to turn his body and throw across the field to the right side of the end zone. But again, #95 scares him from bold action and he defaults to eluding that man. Then he crosses the LOS. Now he knows he cannot throw. Instead of charging hard for the end zone, he tiptoes down the line. At 5:53 when #95 closes in, Milton does not try to stiff arm him or fight forward and maybe use his bulk or strength to fend off the defender. Instead he delicately turns his back and lets himself be pushed out of bounds. Granted that he had three OM guys closing on him and Milton probably could not have made it to the end zone. However, his wimpy instincts caused him not to even try. As for the idea of him lateraling backward, he did not have that option because no one was there.

Short answer: the guy makes scared, unwise decisions under pressure. He is also afraid to take hard football contact.

EDIT: I also observe that two receivers released to the end zone on the left side. So Milton could have taken his chances with them and did not necessarily have to heave the ball across his body back to the right.
Last play still pi$$es me off. Screwed by our own QB.

Reactions: jim43
Milton doesn’t care if we win or lose and he doesn’t want to get hurt. He shouldn’t be allowed to touch the sign that says I Will Give My All For Tennessee.

Reactions: jim43 and OG.V83
Milton did that on purpose cuz hes mad that he aint QB1 anymore and now he ain't even gonna be QB2. He wanted Tennessee to lose. There is zero other possibilities.
He isnt dumb OR scared. He is a sore losing saboteur that can take his self back to Michigan cuz we definitely do not need players like him

Reactions: Keyser Soze
Stabler, when he got to the NFL, also intentionally fumbled into the end zone on a run and Raiders coverer for a TD I believe. NFL had to make a rule on fumbling forward. Stabler was a character on all levels.

Dave Casper former Notre Dame grad and Raiders tight end literally kicked the football almost all the way to the end zone pretending like he was trying to pick up the fumble and finally did at the goal line and carried it in for the TD. A rule was developed about and after this play about advancing fumbles. in the NFL. I watched it occur obviously, Just win baby!

Thank you. The play begins at 5:43. I observe that Milton wanted to run right and throw to his receivers there. At 5:48, he starts to do that but #7 disengages from his block and turns Milton back (Milton perhaps could have eluded him, but he chooses to run away instead). This puts him on the left side of the field. At 5:50, he had the time and space to turn his body and throw across the field to the right side of the end zone. But again, #95 scares him from bold action and he defaults to eluding that man. Then he crosses the LOS. Now he knows he cannot throw. Instead of charging hard for the end zone, he tiptoes down the line. At 5:53 when #95 closes in, Milton does not try to stiff arm him or fight forward and maybe use his bulk or strength to fend off the defender. Instead he delicately turns his back and lets himself be pushed out of bounds. Granted that he had three OM guys closing on him and Milton probably could not have made it to the end zone. However, his wimpy instincts caused him not to even try. As for the idea of him lateraling backward, he did not have that option because no one was there.

Short answer: the guy makes scared, unwise decisions under pressure. He is also afraid to take hard football contact.

EDIT: I also observe that two receivers released to the end zone on the left side. So Milton could have taken his chances with them and did not necessarily have to heave the ball across his body back to the right.

QUERY FOR EVERYONE THERE: At the end of the play, were all eligible receivers at the goal line or in the end zone? If not it speaks to really poor coaching.

Milton went from Hero to zero in vol fans eyes after the pass that could of won it wasn’t caught, but was catchable.
Then runs out bounds instead of throwing it in the end zone, with a terrible decision.
Sad
What struck me was how he came off the Ole Miss side. No frustration about his "mistake". Just seemed like a normal end to the game to the kid. He even looked up before stepping out of bounds so he knew there was no time left. Then in the post game hand shakes, he was all smiles and congratulations to the Ole Miss guys. Didn't seem bothered in the least.

What struck me was how he came off the Ole Miss side. No frustration about his "mistake". Just seemed like a normal end to the game to the kid. He even looked up before stepping out of bounds so he knew there was no time left. Then in the post game hand shakes, he was all smiles and congratulations to the Ole Miss guys. Didn't seem bothered in the least.
Definitely has a different outlook than normal,
Like a different reality.
Like after the first game he seemed to really think he played well

Reactions: OllVol and mpfvol
His decision to run past the line of scrimmage was the killer. A first down was worthless with no time, and he was never going to get to the endzone. He needed to throw up a jump ball for us to have a chance, but he doesn't seem to have the in-the-moment football smarts to know that. I wish him well, but I'm not optimistic when he's on the field.

IQ examination is in order.

VN Store

Back