"Open the T" !!!!

I am a boomer. You self-satisfied whippersnappers want to blame us for everything but do little more than complain. Yes, the Big Orange T on the helmets, the checkerboard end zones, and the running through the POTS “T” originated on our watch. Yes, when it comes to Tennessee football, we cherish our traditions. If and when you’ve lived as many years, you’ll cherish your own, that is if you have any of your own. It takes more than cutting remarks about your forbears and audio graffiti to create that which will become legacy. Creation requires more than speaking aloud high-level ideas. Chanting “F*** you, Florida!” as loud as you can isn’t the foundation for a glowing legacy. Speak to us when you’ve accomplished something.

Open the T is about as dumb as the WOO in Rocky Top. Some things just don't need embellishment. They stand on their own.

That's why you see nowadays someone makes a pretty good song. Then somebody else comes along and does a remix of the song. And then somebody else comes along and does a remix of the remix featuring the hot rapper of the day. Pretty soon, the original song has lost all of it's identity and the thing that made it special has been forgotten.

I am a boomer. You self-satisfied whippersnappers want to blame us for everything but do little more than complain. Yes, the Big Orange T on the helmets, the checkerboard end zones, and the running through the POTS “T” originated on our watch. Yes, when it comes to Tennessee football, we cherish our traditions. If and when you’ve lived as many years, you’ll cherish your own, that is if you have any of your own. It takes more than cutting remarks about your forbears and audio graffiti to create that which will become legacy. Creation requires more than speaking aloud high-level ideas. Chanting “F*** you, Florida!” as loud as you can isn’t the foundation for a glowing legacy. Speak to us when you’ve accomplished something.
* okay boomer 😁

Reactions: GordonC
I do listen to The Drive and am an occasional caller. This was all a big joke by Russell and the crew over there ? You sure ?
I asked a friend of mine who has season tickets about this - seems he said they are doing it, maybe he mis-spoke.
But this 'Open the T' announcement sounds like something the UT admin would come up with.

Unleash TPOTS. Let them create and play samples of popular music in addition to traditional favorites.

I have not been over to Neyland recently, but heard discussion on a radio show that the PA guy is now screaming into the mic right before the team runs out of the tunnel for the band to "Open the T" !!!!

If true, I find this sickening. One of the magical things about our entrance is the fans standing and watching the band, waiting for them to start splitting apart, because we know the team is in the tunnel ready to run out on the field. The spontaneity of the moment is what makes it so special. So many things in modern sports have become contrived and forced. We don't need a legendary college football entrance to be ruined by an ear-cracking PA's booming voice. I already hate the loud 3d down announcement, as if Tennessee fans don't already know the down and distance of the game they are watching. And while we are on the subject, I despise the incessant loud DJ music blaring at every opportunity in football, basketball and baseball. Let the emotion and the fans' reactions run their natural course and put the band back in charge of the music on game day.
I do listen to The Drive and am an occasional caller. This was all a big joke by Russell and the crew over there ? You sure ?
I asked a friend of mine who has season tickets about this - seems he said they are doing it, maybe he mis-spoke.
But this 'Open the T' announcement sounds like something the UT admin would come up with.
You should stop listening to mouths. You've been told over and over by posters who go to games that it doesn't happen. You come back four months later still on it. That's off.

VN Store

Back