Harrison Bailey (merged)

Fullfillmer

My comment from yesterday :
Bailey can play quarterback at this level in college - he would be starting right now at say South Carolina, Colorado, Texas A and M and quite a few other places.
He completed 71% of his passes last season with a 155 qb rating - with a patchwork offensive line and.....

- he did this largely while "not" working with either the number 1 or number 2's for most of the year. Those are remarkably good numbers all things considered, so he is capable of starting and playing quarterback for a number of schools. He seemed to have very good touch, goes through progressions, seems to understand and feel the pocket well, has a nice high release so very few passes blocked or knocked down and he didn't suffer a large number of sacks. He also was much more mobile and athletic than anticipated and I believe he ran or scrambled a few times.

To reinforce my point -- this is where Bailey would have ended up last year in the NCAA passing rankings - when you extrapolate his numbers.

Completion percentage.

#6 in the country Matt Coral - Miss 70.9
#7 in the country Harrison Bailey - Tennessee 70.6
#8 in the country Justin Fields - Ohio State 70.2
#11 in the country Trevor Lawrence - Clemson 69.2
#13 in the country Kyle Trask - Florida 68.9

Bailey would have also finished 24th in the country in qb rating and of course played well against teams like Texas A and M, Florida, Auburn etc.

I am not particularly a fan of Harrison Bailey, a defender of Harrison Bailey, a member of the family, a member of the KKK or have any other leanings or affiliations. As said before, I think Hooker should probably start Saturday based on what I have seen, but
it bothers me when I see people on here infer that Bailey can't play and do well --- clearly he can as has been demonstrated last season.

I don't think that anyone can argue that he should have started ahead of JG last season. I think at one time he was running 4th string.

I think he will ultimately have a great career -- either here or elsewhere in the years to come.
I continue to wish all our quarterbacks well - as the season progresses.

Bailey can play quarterback at this level in college - he would be starting right now at say South Carolina, Colorado, Texas A and M and quite a few other places.
He completed 71% of his passes last season with a 155 qb rating - with a patchwork offensive line and.....

- he did this largely while "not" working with either the number 1 or number 2's for most of the year. Those are remarkably good numbers all things considered, so he is capable of starting and playing quarterback for a number of schools. He seemed to have very good touch, goes through progressions, seems to understand and feel the pocket well, has a nice high release so very few passes blocked or knocked down and he didn't suffer a large number of sacks. He also was much more mobile and athletic than anticipated and I believe he ran or scrambled a few times.

To reinforce my point -- this is where Bailey would have ended up last year in the NCAA passing rankings - when you extrapolate his numbers.

Completion percentage.

Bailey would have also finished 24th in the country in qb rating and of course played well against teams like Texas A and M, Florida, Auburn etc.

I am not particularly a fan of Harrison Bailey, a defender of Harrison Bailey, a member of the family, a member of the KKK or have any other leanings or affiliations. As said before, I think Hooker should probably start Saturday based on what I have seen, but
it bothers me when I see people on here infer that Bailey can't play and do well --- clearly he can as has been demonstrated last season.

I don't think that anyone can argue that he should have started ahead of JG last season. I think at one time he was running 4th string.

I think he will ultimately have a great career -- either here or elsewhere in the years to come.

If he ever enters the portal I hope SC gets him, he can sling it around good enuf to be an SEC type starter.. Beamer wouldn't be the only coach trying to get him either. If he left UT, it would be smart of him to go to a diff conference though, like the ACC.

Reactions: TucsonVol

Completion percentage.

I like Harrison Bailey and I absolutely would love to see him get a shot. Milton has just missed way to many throws that absolutley have to be made if you expect to have any level of success. Milton just looks a lot like another version of what we've had for like six years. I thought Hooker did a lot better job at executing plays after his first drive. With that being said, I don't see them executing in practice every day and I'm assuming the coaches have a reason for Bailey to still be on the bench.

Completion percentage.

I am asking this a serious question, it is not intended to be rude or condescending at all. I am serious about that.
Do you think it was reasonable for Bailey to have started last year or even play much earlier than he did? Especially considering COVID and him being a true freshman. Also add to that JG actually had a bounce back performance after the Alabama game the year before and finished strong (for him at least) at the end of that year and at the beginning of last year against South Carolina and Missouri. It took him all of that year and horrible performance by three (3) other quarterbacks to get on the field. My point was he was never really ready last year, he played because the others in front of him on the depth chart were very, very bad.

Then we start with this year. Do you really think Heupel would not play him if he was the best quarterback? Do you think there is some reason that Bailey has not played a snap? Surely Heupel likes wining and more importantly being a millionaire.

I just don't get the insistence that Bailey is the guy. Is it the Spring Game? I mean do we fans thinks that Heupel a pretty good quarterback in his own right knows what he is looking for in his system and knows that Bailey is not quite ready. His best game was against a horrible Vanderbilt team and his QBR that game was lower than Hooker's game against Pitt.

If he is not ready, he is not ready. If he was ready he would be playing. I am just having a hard time understanding this debate. Debate whether it is Hooker or Milton, fine. Bailey is not yet the type of quarterback that you can plug into this offense and excel without the potential running threat. He ain't Drew Lock yet and this offense line needs help with a running mobile quarterback.

If he ever enters the portal I hope SC gets him, he can sling it around good enuf to be an SEC type starter.. Beamer wouldn't be the only coach trying to get him either. If he left UT, it would be smart of him to go to a diff conference though, like the ACC.

It would be pure irony if Uiagalelei never gets it together this year, and Clemson were to snag Bailey from the portal in the off season.

Here's Bailey's stats broken down for you guys to mull over and decide if he's the savior or majority of his time was against a lower tier SEC East team.

View attachment 394793

You are clueless and shouldn't post until you learn to read. Auburn was at the time or ended up in the top 25 in the country. Bailey's last four games were against 3 top 25 teams! He had a 74% completion rate, ZERO PICKS, and FOUR TDs in the last four games. That is damn good for a guy never given a chance to lead the team the entire year!!!

…”when you extrapolate his numbers”…Difficult to compare him to starters playing an entire season or even an entire game. Also, his best QBR (88.1) was against AU in two possessions (TD and end of regulation) late in the 4th quarter when already trailing 30-10. That QBR is averaged into his other games inflating his numbers. Bailey started three games (UF, Vandy, A&M), so let‘s review those games:

Florida (final record 8-4)
  • 14-21 for 111 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 5 sacks, -19 yds rushing, 0 fumbles, QBR 46.7, UF won 31-19
  • 1st half: punt, punt, passing TD, downs, punt, 1-play end of half
  • 2nd half: punt, punt, punt, replaced by JT (then TD, TD)
Vandy (final record 0-9)
  • 14-18, 207 yds, 2 TDS, 0 INT, 2 sacks, -8 yds rushing, 1 fumble lost, QBR 60.1, UT won 42-17
  • 1st half: punt, passing TD, sack and fumble, replaced by JT (punt, TD, punt, TD)
  • 2nd half: TD rushing by Chandler, downs, punt, replaced by JT (INT), punt, passing TD, end of game
A&M (final record 9-1)
  • 6-6, 85 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 3 sacks, -23 yds rushing, 2 fumbles with 1 lost, QBR 31, A&M won 34-13
  • 1st half: passing TD, punt, sack and fumble, replaced by JT (passing TD, end of half)
  • 2nd half: JT (punt, punt), punt, JT (INT)
Not exactly world-class numbers, but two of the opponents were top 10 teams. His sack and fumble issues resulted in him getting benched. He will get some playing time, but will most likely redshirt.

Completion percentage.

Heupel, wake up and read this!!!!

You are clueless and shouldn't post until you learn to read. Auburn was at the time or ended up in the top 25 in the country. Bailey's last four games were against 3 top 25 teams! He had a 74% completion rate, ZERO PICKS, and FOUR TDs in the last four games. That is damn good for a guy never given a chance to lead the team the entire year!!!

Easy killer, I don't care either way. I said savior or someone who got a majority of their yards against a lower tier team (Vandy) to be more specific to let everyone form their own opinion.

Completion percentage.

It makes absolutely no sense at all that Bailey is not starting. The only reason that I can come up with is that we have a complete idiot for a coach!

And I see you cherry picking the last four games to conveniently leave off those 2 picks to Arkansas, but make yourself feel good. Again, I don't care who QB's, as long as he can move and protect the ball.

…”when you extrapolate his numbers”…Difficult to compare him to starters playing an entire season or even an entire game. Also, his best QBR (88.1) was against AU in two possessions (TD and end of regulation) late in the 4th quarter when already trailing 30-10. That QBR is averaged into his other games inflating his numbers. Bailey started three games (UF, Vandy, A&M), so let‘s review those games:

• 14-21 for 111 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 5 sacks, -19 yds rushing, 0 fumbles, QBR 46.7, UF won 31-19
Vandy (final record 0-9)
  • 14-18, 207 yds, 2 TDS, 0 INT, 2 sacks, -8 yds rushing, 1 fumble lost, QBR 60.1, UT won 42-17
  • 1st half: punt, passing TD, sack and fumble, replaced by JT (punt, TD, punt, TD)
  • 2nd half: TD rushing by Chandler, downs, punt, replaced by JT (INT), punt, passing TD, end of game
A&M (final record 9-1)
  • 6-6, 85 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 3 sacks, -23 yds rushing, 2 fumbles with 1 lost, QBR 31, A&M won 34-13
  • 1st half: passing TD, punt, sack and fumble, replaced by JT (passing TD, end of half)
Not exactly world-class numbers, but two of the opponents were top 10 teams. His sack and fumble issues resulted in him getting benched. He will get some playing time, but will most likely redshirt.
You will not get many responses to this because it's the ugly truth Bailey hasn't done anything special

Completion percentage.

Kind of a hard sell. Coral is at 70.9 with almost 600 attempts. Baily is at 70.6 with almost 70 attempts.

JT Shrout last year threw for the same number of TDs on the same number of attempts. And only had 2 sacks compared to Bailey's 11. Not dogging the kid, I hope he gets his shot and balls out. But this idea that he needs to be starting over the other two probably needs to be put to bed.

Last edited:
Its really the fact the other two haven't done a damn thing and it doesnt look like Milton ever will. Although Hooker looked like a qb. Milton however should be a TE because that dude is not a D1 qb.

Harrison's NCAA qb efficiency rating was good. His QBR rating was poor. If you actually rewatch available video of his 26 (or 28, counting end half/game) drives, his productivity was also poor (at least in Pruitt's offense). Too many turnovers, too many sacks, too many checkdowns (which inflated the NCAA pass efficiency rating). Given a six month spring/summer/fall open competition where every snap was recorded on video and analyzed, Heupel et al decided he was the third best option. I like HB and don't mind seeing him get a shot especially if the other two continue to struggle, but I am also aware that throwing every qb we have out there in revolving door fashion is precisely what Pruitt kept trying to do with JG, BM, Shrout, and Bailey.

Vandy (final record 0-9)
A&M (final record 9-1)

This is a more accurate depiction of Bailey's numbers and to throw him in there with Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence in any rankings is not only ridiculous, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Sure, he ran through his reads and hit the check down, explaining his high completion percentage, but that didn't lead to on field success. He was apprehensive about taking risks with the football, which doesn't really fit in this long ball offense that CJH wants to play, IMO.

Completion percentage.

Bailey stats != those other guys... They played more reps and meaningful reps. Bailey #'s mostly came in garbage time and Vandy, a team that should have had forfeited the game seeing how the majority of their players were out due to Covid
I know you can only play the teams that are before you but his QB rating can't be compared to those guys IMO. That's like me going into a game shooting two shots for 100% and not playing anymore. Where as the other guys played all 4 quarters shot 80% I look better rating wise but what I did vs what they did aren't equal

VN Store

Back