Harrison Bailey (merged)

So we have a heisTman candidate sitting on the bench? Is that what I am reading?

Easy killer, I don't care either way. I said savior or someone who got a majority of their yards against a lower tier team (Vandy) to be more specific to let everyone form their own opinion.
It’s hard to judge Bailey by last years performance because he was playing with a team and players that were going through a program meltdown. Everybody was mentally beat down IMO.

My point is really to give Bailey some credit - I started with - i would start Hooker - for those who question Bailey's amount of snaps, the competition, etc. etc. - remember Bailey wasn't working with the 1's most of last year. He wasn't working with the 2's, he was working with 3rd and 4th teamers.
Bailey may never play another down here - but I think he has the potential to make someone a very good quarterback. I hate that Shrout was injured because I think he was slotted to start for Colorado this season. That would have been interesting to watch.

Plus, talking up the backup qb's is also pretty common throughout the conference, country, historically etc. etc. It's what fans do - :)

Last edited:
My comment from yesterday :
Bailey can play quarterback at this level in college - he would be starting right now at say South Carolina, Colorado, Texas A and M and quite a few other places.
He completed 71% of his passes last season with a 155 qb rating - with a patchwork offensive line and.....

Bailey's accuracy and timing are outstanding, and I believe he would be a top 10 QB with a quicker release time and a strong offensive line. Heupel probably chose Milton and Hooker because they could use their legs, but seeing the missed passes makes me think Bailey could have scored several times without running.

Last edited:
My comment from yesterday :
Bailey can play quarterback at this level in college - he would be starting right now at say South Carolina, Colorado, Texas A and M and quite a few other places.
He completed 71% of his passes last season with a 155 qb rating - with a patchwork offensive line and.....

- he did this largely while "not" working with either the number 1 or number 2's for most of the year. Those are remarkably good numbers all things considered, so he is capable of starting and playing quarterback for a number of schools. He seemed to have very good touch, goes through progressions, seems to understand and feel the pocket well, has a nice high release so very few passes blocked or knocked down and he didn't suffer a large number of sacks. He also was much more mobile and athletic than anticipated and I believe he ran or scrambled a few times.

To reinforce my point -- this is where Bailey would have ended up last year in the NCAA passing rankings - when you extrapolate his numbers.

Completion percentage.

#6 in the country Matt Coral - Miss 70.9
#7 in the country Harrison Bailey - Tennessee 70.6
#8 in the country Justin Fields - Ohio State 70.2
#11 in the country Trevor Lawrence - Clemson 69.2
#13 in the country Kyle Trask - Florida 68.9

Bailey would have also finished 24th in the country in qb rating and of course played well against teams like Texas A and M, Florida, Auburn etc.

I am not particularly a fan of Harrison Bailey, a defender of Harrison Bailey, a member of the family, a member of the KKK or have any other leanings or affiliations. As said before, I think Hooker should probably start Saturday based on what I have seen, but
it bothers me when I see people on here infer that Bailey can't play and do well --- clearly he can as has been demonstrated last season.

I don't think that anyone can argue that he should have started ahead of JG last season. I think at one time he was running 4th string.

I think he will ultimately have a great career -- either here or elsewhere in the years to come.
I continue to wish all our quarterbacks well - as the season progresses.
Numbers can be misleading. But in this case he’s played against quite a few good defenses and done very well for being a freshman. He deserves some game time. If he can’t get in the game against Tennessee Tech and it’s a blowout, the somethings not right

This is a more accurate depiction of Bailey's numbers and to throw him in there with Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence in any rankings is not only ridiculous, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Sure, he ran through his reads and hit the check down, explaining his high completion percentage, but that didn't lead to on field success. He was apprehensive about taking risks with the football, which doesn't really fit in this long ball offense that CJH wants to play, IMO.
His Average depth of target was at or under 6 yards..meaning his comp % was high. At 10 is lowered to around to 50-55% and 30% at 15 plus...also only 40% of his yardage was thrown in the air...all this says is he looks shorts and throws short and complete short...meaning a defense can defend short, stop the run...and make HB beat them deep....which is a 30% chance, and also a higher sack and fumble chance having to wait for deeper routes...

Anyone realize that without sack yardage counting against him Milton is 6 yards behind Small on rushing yards..thats why Milton and Hooker will play before HB

He was 6 for 6 and 85 yards against A&M in garbage time, Padding stats. All of our QB's have room for improvement as no one that has played has shined. Hopefully, when his name is called, he can go out and get it done.

You know what Matt Stafford's nickname with the Detroit Lions was? Stat Padford.

Come in, play 3 garbage quarters, start the 4th down by 24 and lose the game by 8 after an almost miraculous "comeback."

It makes absolutely no sense at all that Bailey is not starting. The only reason that I can come up with is that we have a complete idiot for a coach!
I won't go that far...I'll just say I don't understand why HB not given opportunity YET. He seems the most accurate passer...he's not the most mobile, but neither was Drew Locke. Only other thing I can come up with is maybe he can't grasp or initiate the speed of the offense (which sounds counter intuitive to everything we've heard about him from intelligence perspective). I do have confidence in coach...I'll just leave it at I don't understand the rationale. Milton looks the part, but don't know how you fix down the field accuracy in game setting...unfortunately, think it's who he was at Mich, and who he is at UT.

His Average depth of target was at or under 6 yards..meaning his comp % was high. At 10 is lowered to around to 50-55% and 30% at 15 plus...also only 40% of his yardage was thrown in the air...all this says is he looks shorts and throws short and complete short...meaning a defense can defend short, stop the run...and make HB beat them deep....which is a 30% chance, and also a higher sack and fumble chance having to wait for deeper routes...
Facts

Reactions: whodeycin85
Here's Bailey's stats broken down for you guys to mull over and decide if he's the savior or majority of his time was against a lower tier SEC East team.

View attachment 394793
I like that you posted this like it matters after watching two older more tenured college QBs struggle against Pitt and Bowling Green. I think the OP did a good job of laying out his post in an informative way. I think everyone that is pro Bailey, just wants him to get a chance.

I like that you posted this like it matters after watching two older more tenured college QBs struggle against Pitt and Bowling Green. I think the OP did a good job of laying out his post in an informative way. I think everyone that is pro Bailey, just wants him to get a chance.
You have to earn your chance and obviously he hasn't done so

Last edited:

VN Store

Back