Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Neither will Kellie if her recruiting doesn't pick up, at least not coaching here...
I read these comments about UConn coaching and my first thought is that maybe the posters should be more concerned about Tennessee coaching. If KJH can't recruit UTenn will continue to struggle and in the meantime UConn, Stanford and SC continue to snatch up the top players as UTenn is settling for one top 20 player in the last 3 years.

No doubt that UConn wcbb will decline as the best coaching team ever retires. But no way will they make the same sort of mistake that UTenn did when they hired Holly Warlick.

Reactions: olddog and mcannon1
We had best all wish Geno, Chris, Dawn, Brenda and Jeff lengthy tenures. Without those folks, who would we blame our misfortunes on?

And upon whom would we shed our hot, salty tears pining over what could have been if only they had glanced our way as we gazed in rapturous adoration?

Last edited:
I read these comments about UConn coaching and my first thought is that maybe the posters should be more concerned about Tennessee coaching. If KJH can't recruit UTenn will continue to struggle and in the meantime UConn, Stanford and SC continue to snatch up the top players as UTenn is settling for one top 20 player in the last 3 years.

No doubt that UConn wcbb will decline as the best coaching team ever retires. But no way will they make the same sort of mistake that UTenn did when they hired Holly Warlick.

Lmao. Spare me.

And I don't think you're picking up what I'm putting down, either. Other than salaries, the cost of operating the program won't change, so if you skimp on salary, you'll lose more revenue than you gain by saving on a coach. Then, going back to what @NeedOrange said, donors expect the basketball programs to be competitive. If the boosters ain't happy and writing checks, ain't nobody happy.

They LITERALLY can’t afford to hire someone when he’s gone. You’ll see lol. Best wishes.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

Here's the thing true TN fans and bball fans know and recognize where TN was and are thankful we aren't there. We want to continue to not worry about making the tourney and being one of the top seeds. NOW, last year didn't end the way we expected/wanted and we need to keep improving. But it was a step in the right direction in Kellie's first NCAA tourney appearance at UT. As far as recruiting it took work to undo what Holly did and now we see top kids taking TN into serious consideration.

So while yes we the fans are worried about and want to keep seeing improvement in all areas I hope the fans from Uconn, Stanford, SC, or whatever team appreciate the fact that their coach is a good chromosome or two away from being in a situation that some of the fans have a hard time with here at TN.

PS. I caught your shady little comment too LOL so in good faith (and fun) how did all those top recruits yall scooped up help yall especially against a team like AZ who did not have all those top talent that was swallowed up by others. And I already said we recognized where we are and yea yea we know "at least they got there"

You've already said the next coach will likely come "Auriemma's stable." If UConn is that myopic in their search (as Tennessee was), don't be surprised when they reap a similar fate...

You really don't think the basketball program is going away do you? The UConn program is a favorite of donors. There is a LOT of money that goes straight to the men's and women's teams. The Werth Family Champions center is a state of the art basketball only facility where the men and women teams have identical facilities on each side of the building. (the only difference is the women hang 11 championship banners and the men only hang 4.) Most UConn fans are too concerned with the Pats, Giants, and Jets to even care about college football. So bottom line if it ever came to it, UConn could just drop football and break even.

I'd be shocked if UCONN dropped football. Stranger things have happened but football h the most potential to bring in money. Why do you think that are getting rid of all those other sports. Most athletic departments are built around football. It will be interesting to see where the team goes (independent or conference). Conferences get bowl payouts to all teams, that's millions in revenue then there are television rights. I'm not sure all conferences have equal revenue sharing but if they are invited into one of those, there's more income.

If you notice, UConn is not going the way UT did by promoting an assistant with no head coaching experience. The heir apparent is in a 5 year audition for the UConn job. If she resurrects a program left for dead, I for 1 will be thrilled to see her take over the reins. She's a southern born girl learning her trade in Tennessee.

But some are talking about a former player who if she gets the job all ya'll get to keep your anti UConn vitriol.

Good chance you should follow your own advice...

I don’t repeatedly post the same drivel. In fact I just took my usual summer break from the nonsense that is the off-season on VolNation.

Returned to find all is well and Darth is still ULTRA sensitive lmao.

Reactions: Lucy
I don’t repeatedly post the same drivel. In fact I just took my usual summer break from the nonsense that is the off-season on VolNation.

Not sure what you consider a "break" but your post count from the last three months shows this statement is about as accurate as everything else you post...

You've already said the next coach will likely come "Auriemma's stable." If UConn is that myopic in their search (as Tennessee was), don't be surprised when they reap a similar fate...

I think the difference is that UConn has 3 former assistants that are now head coaches. By the time Auriemma retires they will have a track record. Warlick had no experience as a head coach and while she proved to be an excellent recruiter she struggled as a game coach.

Reactions: LadyOrange

I think the difference is that UConn has 3 former assistants that are now head coaches. Marisa Mosely was just hired by Wisconsin. She is coming off a successful three years as head coach of BU where she turned a losing program into a winner. Carla Berube has been a head coach for nearly 20 years mostly at D3 Tufts where she was 384-96. Her 1st year at D1 Princeton she was 29-1. By the time Auriemma retires they will have a longer track record. Hopefully Ralph will also be successful at Vandy.

Warlick had no experience as a head coach.

but I thought Lacey couldnt recruit lol

It's not so much she can't recruit as much as she DIDNT recruit here... So there is a story she never took her Arkansas bumper sticker off her car and it caused tension when she was asked. That's just the tip of something's floating around

So she can recruit but it's when she wants too... again great pick up but i think we got TWO good recruiters ourself.

but I thought Lacey couldnt recruit lol

I don't think it was that she couldn't recruit, she couldn't recruit for Tennessee and giving her credit for this recruit is truly a slap in the face to Pauline Love. Did she help is sealing the deal by badmouthing UT to help Arkansas, ABSOLUTELY!

VN Store

Back