Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Good chance she won’t even be coaching then. I give that duo 2 maybe 3 more years before they hang it up. They know UT will ride hard for Hassel. Would hate to see her in Storrs.
2027 is a long ways away and I'm pretty sure the dynamic duo will be around to see Patterson, Ice, and the third 22 graduate. But then it all depends how Shea does in her 5 year audition. They aren't going to turn the program over to just anyone.

2027 is a long ways away and I'm pretty sure the dynamic duo will be around to see Patterson, Ice, and the third 22 graduate. But then it all depends how Shea does in her 5 year audition. They aren't going to turn the program over to just anyone.
You see how our heir apparent did. Sometimes the most obvious choice isn’t the right choice. No matter who it is, it’s going to be extremely difficult. Following a legend is no easy feat. It will be impossible to sustain the success UConn has had. Just hope the fans give the new coach a chance and have patience.

You see how our heir apparent did. Sometimes the most obvious choice isn’t the right choice. No matter who it is, it’s going to be extremely difficult. Following a legend is no easy feat. It will be impossible to sustain the success UConn has had. Just hope the fans give the new coach a chance and have patience.[/QUOTE]

no you don’t

Reactions: mcannon1
You see how our heir apparent did. Sometimes the most obvious choice isn’t the right choice. No matter who it is, it’s going to be extremely difficult. Following a legend is no easy feat. It will be impossible to sustain the success UConn has had. Just hope the fans give the new coach a chance and have patience.
It might not be Shea. If Wisconsin or Princeton were to make dynamic improvements those coaches might be in the mix. My personal favorite isn't even coaching, Swin Cash who has been an outstanding success in every field since graduating.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I didn’t say that Coop was leaning towards Tennessee, but I think Tenn said a move into the top 2 for her. Georgia has changed her visit from this upcoming weekend to the last visit for Cooper.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I didn’t say that Coop was leaning towards Tennessee, but I think Tenn said a move into the top 2 for her. Georgia has changed her visit from this upcoming weekend to the last visit for Cooper.

Needed time to step up their game ? 😏 Seriously though, it seems like it's gonna be a battle for her services.

Last edited:
Actually I do. I’ve seen it time and time again. Unrealistic expectations are unfair to the players and the coach. I like UConn being the villain. It won’t be the same with Geno gone.

Reactions: Ladyvol777

UCONN won’t be able to afford a good coach after Geno. Their athletics department is totally upside down. They’ll hire cheap and let it return to average.

UCONN won’t be able to afford a good coach after Geno. Their athletics department is totally upside down. They’ll hire cheap and let it return to average.

I'm not sure. While the athletics department is bleeding money, the football team is the primary issue. In 2019, they were over $13m in the hole. Compare that with WBB, which lost $3.5m, and MBB, which lost almost $4m.

So, while whomever they bring in won't start off making what Geno does, I'll be surprised if they call it quits on the program with a unsuitable, inexpensive hire. It'll be an even bigger loss for an already poor athletics department in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: olddog
I'm not sure. While the athletics department is bleeding money, the football team is the primary issue. In 2019, they were over $13m in the hole. Compare that with WBB, which lost $3.5m, and MBB, which lost almost $4m.

So, while whomever they bring in won't start off making what Geno does, I'll be surprised if they call it quits on the program with a unsuitable, inexpensive hire. It'll lose an already poor athletics department in the long run.

Yes, which is exactly why they will have no option. If your football program is losing money and your WBB program is losing money it’s unlikely they will be able to hire anyone.

You really don't think the basketball program is going away do you? The UConn program is a favorite of donors. There is a LOT of money that goes straight to the men's and women's teams. The Werth Family Champions center is a state of the art basketball only facility where the men and women teams have identical facilities on each side of the building. (the only difference is the women hang 11 championship banners and the men only hang 4.) Most UConn fans are too concerned with the Pats, Giants, and Jets to even care about college football. So bottom line if it ever came to it, UConn could just drop football and break even.

Last edited:
Yes, which is exactly why they will have no option. If your football program is losing money and your WBB program is losing money it’s unlikely they will be able to hire anyone.
Daily and Auriemma will leave together. Their combined salaries are over 2.7 mil annually. I'm sure they will find a coach most likely out of Auriemma's stable.

You really don't think the basketball program is going away do you? The UConn program is a favorite of donors. There is a LOT of money that goes straight to the men's and women's teams. The Werth Family Champions center is a state of the art basketball only facility where the men and women teams have identical facilities on each side of the building. (the only difference is the women hang 11 championship banners and the men only hang 4.) Most UConn fans are too concerned with the Pats, Giants, and Jets to even care about college football. So bottom line if it ever came to it, UConn could just drop football and break even.

They will dissipate in a hurry.

So, while whomever they bring in won't start off making what Geno does, I'll be surprised if they call it quits on the program with a unsuitable, inexpensive hire. It'll be an even bigger loss for an already poor athletics department in the long run.

You’re still not picking up what I’m putting down. If your football program is in the hole there is no way they are going to shell out to maintain a competitive WBB program when he retires.

You’re still not picking up what I’m putting down. If your football program is in the hole there is no way they are going to shell out to maintain a competitive WBB program when he retires.

And I don't think you're picking up what I'm putting down, either. Other than salaries, the cost of operating the program won't change, so if you skimp on salary, you'll lose more revenue than you gain by saving on a coach. Then, going back to what @NeedOrange said, donors expect the basketball programs to be competitive. If the boosters ain't happy and writing checks, ain't nobody happy.

VN Store

Back