Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, for me every Vol football season starts with this checklist.

1. Did we win the games we were supposed to (this season Pitt wasn't one of those games)
2. Did we end up making a bowl game
3. Did we compete in the majority of losses
4. Did we upset anyone
5. How many guys got drafted
6. How much staff turnover have we had

Usually after evaluating those 6 things I decide if the year was a success in progress or not. We all want to win 10 or more games and have a shot at going to Atlanta, but ya gotta crawl before ya walk and ya gotta walk before you run.

We need to hang 50+ on TTU and ideally see 3 QBs, if we're lucky they all look good and the coaches see something to help them pick their starter for the Florida game.

Good post.

Reactions: drvenner
WTF are you even talking about man?

Arkansas now has "average at best talent"?
2021 - 25th
2020 - 29th
2019 - 23rd
2018 - 45th
2017 - 27th
2016 - 23rd

They've only had 1 recruiting class in the last 6 years outside the top 30 in the nation...that's anything but average. Pittman is doing a good job, but he's got one quality win (we think) thus far in his career beating a Texas team with a first year coach. I like Pittman, I think he understands the SEC and he hired a great staff, but it's 1 game and we don't even know how good Texas really is yet. It was just Steve's 2nd game there and his first road game of the year.

Uh, SEC class. I guess I needed to say it.

Tennessee Tech is a big game. Need to:

Find our QB. Get them ready for the swamp.
Keep working on chemistry and execution
Force a turnover - we have been close
Continue to fight and keep attitudes strong

We are the perfect let down game for FL. They will be sore and tired from Bama.

I could understand why Heupel would want Milton to be the guy. My goodness if he could hit those deep throws then it gives DC nightmares trying to defend this offense. He has shown he has no issues with short to midrange and sideline throws. They are some really great throws. That throw to Hyatt my word looks incredible on tv and should have been caught. The overthrows are deflating.

Hooker doesn’t scare defenses deep so they can hang around the box and jump routes. I think if you go Hooker then you need to focus on being a run first team and get it to open up the middle of the field and let Hyatt/Callaway and Tight ends work in that space.

Bailey doesn’t give you the QB run ability consistently as a threat that you want when your an offense playing on the numbers matchup game but I think he could be sneaky good at it because he is like the white QB that you always wonder how did he just get 10 yards on that run. I think he is the guy that gives WRs the best chance to make a play if Milton isn’t going to stop overthrowing guys deep. So if you truly want the deep ball to be a factor and you can’t trust Milton I think you got to go Bailey at some point. It would be nice to get a better idea of what is holding him back. Is it the vocal command of the offense, is it ability to run the tempo they want, is it the slow release because he does have a funky hitch in the windup, does he go safe route too much in practice and so if your going to dink and dunk they will choose the legs of Hooker in that scenario?

Yes, please.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Maybe...Heupel & staff are trying to break Milton in before SEC play and that's why the leash hasn't been shorter.

Cause I know without a shadow of a doubt, if we come out in the swamp and Milton is hitting on the deep balls and we end up beating the Gators every single one of you that's "out" on him will suddenly forget all the **** you talked the last 2 weeks.

As they should. But based on the last two weeks there is nothing to suggest Milton can get it done. I think everyone would be ecstatic for the light to come.

Why? Heup's W/L has gone in reverse from his first season as HC. He was handed an undefeated team. And I like Heup and understand the reasons.

Pittman was one TD from a Natty over Bama at UGA and developed the unit that was most responsible for their success. He's been successful at every stop since his days at UNC. Why would he not be in same stratosphere as Heup?
Comparison is fine. The initial post used him as a benchmark of a higher standard. At this point ridiculous.

I could understand why Heupel would want Milton to be the guy. My goodness if he could hit those deep throws then it gives DC nightmares trying to defend this offense. He has shown he has no issues with short to midrange and sideline throws. They are some really great throws. That throw to Hyatt my word looks incredible on tv and should have been caught. The overthrows are deflating.

Hooker doesn’t scare defenses deep so they can hang around the box and jump routes. I think if you go Hooker then you need to focus on being a run first team and get it to open up the middle of the field and let Hyatt/Callaway and Tight ends work in that space.

Bailey doesn’t give you the QB run ability consistently as a threat that you want when your an offense playing on the numbers matchup game but I think he could be sneaky good at it because he is like the white QB that you always wonder how did he just get 10 yards on that run. I think he is the guy that gives WRs the best chance to make a play if Milton isn’t going to stop overthrowing guys deep. So if you truly want the deep ball to be a factor and you can’t trust Milton I think you got to go Bailey at some point. It would be nice to get a better idea of what is holding him back. Is it the vocal command of the offense, is it ability to run the tempo they want, is it the slow release because he does have a funky hitch in the windup, does he go safe route too much in practice and so if your going to dink and dunk they will choose the legs of Hooker in that scenario?

Agree completely.

We all want Milton to get it if Heup is going with him as starter. But throwing late and high with no air under it when needed will never get it done. We have already seen the bad movie the past few years before Heup got here.

So if the light does not come on in Milton's head, it all comes down to scheme modification with Hooker or going with Bailey. I believe Heup wants to win enough he will do one or the other if Milton does not improve.

Reactions: sneakergawd
WTF are you even talking about man?

Arkansas now has "average at best talent"?
2021 - 25th
2020 - 29th
2019 - 23rd
2018 - 45th
2017 - 27th
2016 - 23rd

They've only had 1 recruiting class in the last 6 years outside the top 30 in the nation...that's anything but average. Pittman is doing a good job, but he's got one quality win (we think) thus far in his career beating a Texas team with a first year coach. I like Pittman, I think he understands the SEC and he hired a great staff, but it's 1 game and we don't even know how good Texas really is yet. It was just Steve's 2nd game there and his first road game of the year.
Development and great coaching gets you into a place that you can recruit better talent. That is what Arkansas is building. Pittman may not be the great X's and O's guy but he may be a great leader of men.

Comparison is fine. The initial post used him as a benchmark of a higher standard. At this point ridiculous.

Agree to disagree. If Heup equals Pittman this year he has met my acceptable higher standard. Sincerely hope he does. More W's is all that matters.

They like the upside and what he could bring to the offense. Milton's okay. He could've gone back in the game Saturday. It will be interesting to see how they handle PT this Saturday. We'll need the BUs so do they give them more game reps or do they focus on giving Milton another tuneup in a friendly atmosphere? Somebody's going to get thrown into the Swamp.
Milton can't see the field, and can't hit the broad side of a barn..and never has.

Development and great coaching gets you into a place that you can recruit better talent. That is what Arkansas is building. Pittman may not be the great X's and O's guy but he may be a great leader of men.

True.

He's actually great at O. Most people do not know that, they make assumptions. Past players and coaches know.

Reactions: itsme
Yep, for me every Vol football season starts with this checklist.

1. Did we win the games we were supposed to (this season Pitt wasn't one of those games)
2. Did we end up making a bowl game
3. Did we compete in the majority of losses
4. Did we upset anyone
5. How many guys got drafted
6. How much staff turnover have we had

Usually after evaluating those 6 things I decide if the year was a success in progress or not. We all want to win 10 or more games and have a shot at going to Atlanta, but ya gotta crawl before ya walk and ya gotta walk before you run.

We need to hang 50+ on TTU and ideally see 3 QBs, if we're lucky they all look good and the coaches see something to help them pick their starter for the Florida game.
Don’t disagree with this at all. I think it’s very logical and realistic.

However, to your first point, I think that’s playing the results a little bit. Before the Pitt game, I’d say 90% of people here would have called it a must win and that we are the more talented team. Most picked Tennessee to win - many picked them to win big.

Anyone who cared to do a little research or listen to opinions outside of Knoxville would have known we were likely to lose on Saturday.

So my position has always been most folks on this message board only become realistic once things go bad.

Agree to disagree. If Heup equals Pittman this year he has met my acceptable higher standard. Sincerely hope he does. More W's is all that matters.
So Pruitt gets the pass with this logic? Goodness, you are lost in the weeds.

I was also being facetiously overdramatic to express my extreme hatred of that particular piece of walking excrement..😏

I think a lot of people interpreted my “it’d be fun if Kiffin were here right now” post as me wishing we had hired Kiffin over Heupel. But for the record, I’ve never been in favor of him coming back.

I just think it would have been fun to see how we reacted to the USC job again being open the first year we hired him.

Don’t disagree with this at all. I think it’s very logical and realistic.

However, to your first point, I think that’s playing the results a little bit. Before the Pitt game, I’d say 90% of people here would have called it a must win and that we are the more talented team. Most picked Tennessee to win - many picked them to win big.

Anyone who cared to do a little research or listen to opinions outside of Knoxville would have known we were likely to lose on Saturday.

So my position has always been most folks on this message board only become realistic once things go bad.

Yep, that 90% of people is Vols blinders. I always base the "supposed to win" on the betting lines, the most objective source of who should win this game.

post 2:

You ain’t going to like this one

SPARE me the bs post about “well the team played hard” guess what? every single coach we have had since fulmer has played their ass off for their coach in year 1. The exact same line was said about those teams

Show me a college head coach coach that isn’t disciplined enough to maintain anywhere remotely close to a healthy body and I’ll show a program that is run lacking discipline. CJH was a gosh dang QB for goodness sakes and I cringe every time I have to look at his man boobs. Steve spurrier once said He wouldn’t hire a fat person because they are lazy and lack discipline. Well our team clearly showed a lack of discipline and that’s a problem going forward.

maybe just maybe JH goes the opposite direction of our last idiot coach and his body doesn’t balloon more and more like Him. Maybe in turn his program can show some damn discipline as well.

have a good day VN!
bruce-arians-arizona-cardinals.gif

Plus they will be overconfident (rightly so based on history) and a tough focus vol squad could pull off an upset. Think we will learn a lot about CJH/staff and the toughness of his squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back