Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our best players that game:
Leading QB: H Bailey
Leading WR: J Jancek
Leading RB: F Orr
Leading tackler: Will Brooks
I asked everybody had ever heard anything positive about him from inside the program…. Nobody had any examples at all….. Let’s trust the guy that has proven he can develop qbs time and time again…. He has proven that he will bench veterans and transfers that he brought in…. He has proven that he will start a true freshman if the player shows that he is capable of doing it…. That win/loss Saturday wasn’t the most important bc we are not competing for championships…. The most important thing is for this coach to stabilize this program, build depth and grow us to the point where expect to beat teams like Pittsburgh.
Just stop. Because you know a GA or QC doesn’t mean that nothing good is said about Bailey. Since you want an example so badly because people are dissing your boy Milton. Straight from JH’s mouth - big kid with an accurate arm. Quiet but gets along with everyone. Also, my VFL asked Vitello about Pruitt and he didn’t have many nice words to say. He likes Jh and hopes he gets it done. They were out until almost four am last Friday partying it up along with the rest of the baseball staff and Al.

Our best players that game:
Leading QB: H Bailey
Leading WR: J Jancek
Leading RB: F Orr
Leading tackler: Will Brooks
I asked everybody had ever heard anything positive about him from inside the program…. Nobody had any examples at all….. Let’s trust the guy that has proven he can develop qbs time and time again…. He has proven that he will bench veterans and transfers that he brought in…. He has proven that he will start a true freshman if the player shows that he is capable of doing it…. That win/loss Saturday wasn’t the most important bc we are not competing for championships…. The most important thing is for this coach to stabilize this program, build depth and grow us to the point where expect to beat teams like Pittsburgh.
he hasnt developed much as of last week. That qb play was wretched. I like Huepel and want him to succeed. Counterpoint to your argument is 'just trust the defensive guru to coach em up.' Granted its only game two, your starting qb shouldnt miss five people wide open.

Just stop. Because you know a GA or QC doesn’t mean that nothing good is said about Bailey. Since you want an example so badly because people are dissing your boy Milton. Straight from JH’s mouth - big kid with an accurate arm. Quiet but gets along with everyone. Also, my VFL asked Vitello about Pruitt and he didn’t have many nice words to say. He likes Jh and hopes he gets it done. They were out until almost four am last Friday partying it up along with the rest of the baseball staff and Al.
Would you stop with the BS about Milton being my boy…. I was asking if we had heard good things bc all the things reported has been negative….. example: Chaney didn’t want him….. some of the Hubbs reports about him…. I stated that was the reason I didn’t have confidence he could get the job and asked if we had ever had any good reports…. Coaches liking him…. Media saying that he was doing good…. Someone said that there were a lot of positive reports and I asked what they were… As for Milton…. I have stated that I can see why Heup likes him but felt Hooker had the right to get his shot…. I will support whichever QB he decides to go with bc I’m not at any practices and have no clue why he chooses one over the other.

he hasnt developed much as of last week. That qb play was wretched. I like Huepel and want him to succeed. Counterpoint to your argument is 'just trust the defensive guru to coach em up.' Granted its only game two, your starting qb shouldnt miss five people wide open.
That defensive guru had never been a head coach…. His main failing was not trusting others to do their job…..you play who earns your confidence in practice…. Joe had done that and has the most potential… I feel Hooker has earned his shot but I don’t know the reasons Heup may or may not want to go that route if he decides to stick with Milton.

Would you stop with the BS about Milton being my boy…. I was asking if we had heard good things bc all the things reported has been negative….. example: Chaney didn’t want him….. some of the Hubbs reports about him…. I stated that was the reason I didn’t have confidence he could get the job and asked if we had ever had any good reports…. Coaches liking him…. Media saying that he was doing good…. Someone said that there were a lot of positive reports and I asked what they were… As for Milton…. I have stated that I can see why Heup likes him but felt Hooker had the right to get his shot…. I will support whichever QB he decides to go with bc I’m not at any practices and have no clue why he chooses one over the other.
Chaney is a made up rumor. I think someone speculated that. Unless someone can post a link where someone discusses that. Still believe other QBs were wanted to be played last year but Pruitt had a love affair with JG.

That defensive guru had never been a head coach…. His main failing was not trusting others to do their job…..you play who earns your confidence in practice…. Joe had done that and has the most potential… I feel Hooker has earned his shot but I don’t know the reasons Heup may or may not want to go that route if he decides to stick with Milton.
Pruitt was horrible. McDonald’s couldn’t even save him.

I’m not counting the covid season bc I don’t think it is a good indicator for any team… When he loses…. It tends to be due to turnovers or penalties….He did have a 12-0 season at UCF and followed it up with a 10 win season…..You can look at Saturday two different ways…. Did some of his decisions possibly cost us the game? Yes…… would we have been that close without him? Probably not….. we have a team without a solid qb yet…. We were down to a third string freshman RB…... Missing our center with an already patched together offensive line….. lost our most explosive wide receiver early….missing potentially our best pass rusher and a defense that lacks depth especially at linebacker.
Which is another reason I have contention with JH.... We had 100 injuries and he still wanted to go 100 MPH in the second half instead of slowing it down and trying to shorten the game. Add to that wasting the 2 TO's in the second half. One after a penalty where they had extra time and one after a 2nd down stop. Second.. obviously of the play worked we'd all probably be celebrating right now, but I don't understand the call on Hookers pick that sealed the game. Hooker had been running all over them, his game is to move and those little pop passes. If I remember correctly that was only his third drop back pass. I dont think the coaches put Hooker in the best spot to succeed there. Sure Hooker deserves some blame, but he doesn't throw that pick with a different call

Reactions: VolNash17
Which is another reason I have contention with JH.... We had 100 injuries and he still wanted to go 100 MPH in the second half instead of slowing it down and trying to shorten the game. Add to that wasting the 2 TO's in the second half. One after a penalty where they had extra time and one after a 2nd down stop. Second.. obviously of the play worked we'd all probably be celebrating right now, but I don't understand the call on Hookers pick that sealed the game. Hooker had been running all over them, his game is to move and those little pop passes. If I remember correctly that was only his third drop back pass. I dont think the coaches put Hooker in the best spot to succeed there. Sure Hooker deserves some blame, but he doesn't throw that pick with a different call
I don’t know if I agree with slowing it down bc going fast is what gives us some of our advantages…. From where I was sitting…. It looked like Hooker threw it late on that pass but I could be wrong…. They maybe should have called something different but we have to be able show something different as well bc Pitt had seen those same plays over and over and were starting to adjust for it.

We could—but that’s the antithesis of JH. Doubt it happens honestly

2013 - OU offense averaged 199.1 passing yards a game and 223.9 rushing yards a game
2014 - OU offense averaged 203.5 passing yards a game and 261.2 rushing yards a game

OU was top 20 in rushing yards a game both seasons, and outside top 80 in passing yards a game. So he's capable and has done it before, that was when Bell/Knight were the QBs there.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
So it seems everyone is convinced we're playing the wrong QB. How is it our QB guru coach is playing the wrong guy? What is it about UT that makes coaches functionally retarded? Pruitt, the defensive guru, couldn't produce a good defense here. Now everyone says Heupel has fallen in love with Milton and is playing the wrong QB, mostly while screaming for HB. So why do coaches forget what they were successful at when they come here?

It's probably too early to say that. But a legacy of 3 straight non-elite coaching staffs that did that during all or part of their tenure leads one to believe it is happening again as we observe Overthrow Joe doing his thing followed by Hooker doing his inconsistent thing with a loyal to UT 5* on the bench. Loyal since he was a young teenager. Who threw the ball nearly 55 MPH in the Elite Eleven camp placing second in that. Who proved he was mobile enough to avoid the pass rush and gain some yards on scrambles last season and in spring ball. Who throws accurately almost all of the time when not getting killed by the pass rush. Who can look off defenders and find open receivers with air under the ball when needed. That guy that's been sitting on the bench and getting non-first team reps in camp and practices.

HB was not Heup's guy. Maybe he doesn't like his personality, maybe he doesn't like his throwing motion, maybe he wants to RS him. Whatever. Maybe he's afraid of controversy after falling in love with his guy going back to Mizzou OC days while his guy being in HS. Who knows, because Heup is not real transparent about what is happening as his pressers reveal.

But Heup has the opportunity to prove us naysayers wrong and redevelop Joe into what he wants him to be. Nearly all of us hope he does because it will mean more wins if he's going to play him no matter what. We all want Heup to win big here - no disputing that. He can prove himself to be a QB whisperer. Or, he can prove he is not one. He can prove he and the staff do good development with most players while offering a system that is more modern that guys enjoy playing in because it is wide open. Which leads to more points with potentially more penalties and more turnovers as the downside. He did have a talented Locke already sitting there at Mizzou waiting for somebody to give him a scheme that worked and some fine tuning. He did have M-Milton sitting there at UCF, who is magic as a player. He did pick the wrong guy first at UCF after Milton before going to the noodle arm Gabriel who proved successful in his system/scheme. Who knows if all that adds up yet?

It's too soon to tell. Hoping for the best with BVS telling us to keep the cup on.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTJoe
Mods, merge to the correct thread, please!

My wife and I are finally serious about looking for or building a home. However, people have told us to watch for the housing market to take a hit…

What are the ramifications if the housing market crashes for people like my family?

The numbers say we are in a squeeze, not a bubble. Build it.

Meanwhile Sam Pittman seems to be building a program. I always liked Pittman, I hope Heupel can find similar success later this year and into next.

That's impossible. Not been an OC or HC before. Too fat. Arkansas has no players. Yada, yada, yada.

One of the smartest football coaches alive that guys give their all for every game. But he would never have been good enough for folks here.

The Gruden discussion got me thinking. He has improved the Raiders. They were kind of a disaster. Not great but improved.

There was a rumor when Gruden’s name was floating around that he went to North Carolina to talk to Eli Drinkwitz to be his OC. Gruden knew what he was doing. I think recruiting would have been great.

Just interesting to look back.

Reactions: ugg
The Gruden discussion got me thinking. He has improved the Raiders. They were kind of a disaster. Not great but improved.

There was a rumor when Gruden’s name was floating around that he went to North Carolina to talk to Eli Drinkwitz to be his OC. Gruden knew what he was doing. I think recruiting would have been great.

Just interesting to look back.
GRUMORS

Chaney is a made up rumor. I think someone speculated that. Unless someone can post a link where someone discusses that. Still believe other QBs were wanted to be played last year but Pruitt had a love affair with JG.

Chaney went after Haynes King really hard once he was hired. Could be that he wanted both of them, but is interesting that with the presumed quarterback of the class already committed Jim Chaney pursued another one.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Man...I get we like to just discuss different things, but ya'll some fickle bitches.

2 games is not a large enough sample size to confirm anything about dick. We've not even seen how this staff/team does in SEC play yet...Pittman in year 2 with arguably an elite staff around him beating a first year HC that left his longest tenure with the nickname "Seven Win Steve" and got fired from USC & the Falcons before landing in Saban Career rehab (for his 2nd time) isn't exactly proving he's an elite HC, still needs 2 wins to even hit 500 for his short career.

Chaney went after Haynes King really hard once he was hired. Could be that he wanted both of them, but is interesting that with the presumed quarterback of the class already committed Jim Chaney pursued another one.
That tells me Chaney was over the hill. King is not good. His high school stats weren’t even good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back