Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see some crossing routes.. we’ve been getting destroyed by passes over the middle for a while now.. I’d like to be on the other side of that for once

They did a few in the first quarter and a half. For whatever reason, Milton locked on the deep or check down receiver. They had one for a TD if he had thrown to the crossing receiver instead of Hyatt deep. Wide open middle of the field.

If Milton hit his 2 open TDs y'all would be calling for Heupel statues already
2da0fc619838c3111f0222f71d306539.gif

I don’t get why people think we cant have a vertical offense with HB. He’s got plenty of arm. Milton waits til the WR comes open, then overthrows him. HB can hit the deep ball by anticipating the WR coming open and throwing it sooner (which is what any good QB does anyway). The deep shots are recognized presnap. 1v1 and we are taking it. We don’t need a QB who can throw it 80 yards. We need one who knows WHEN to throw the ball and puts it where he wants to when he does. HB missed some deep shots last year, but he was barely off. Seemed like a chemistry thing to me and the spring game passes to Velus and Hyatt confirmed that imo

I just want to see the kid get a shot. No doubt in my mind he’s the best pure QB on the team. If he can hit just a couple of those deep balls we are in business.
HB was actually terrible, based on stats, throwing the deep ball last season. But it was probably just timing and lack of chemistry. But Milton doesn't get similar excuses for him? That is what is called confirmation bias.

Jeff Francis and Pat Ryan on Big Orange Hotline talking QB. The big takeaway is Pat says the offensive scheme is working at a really high level and both think we’ve got more playmakers than they had expected. Like everyone else their issue is the overthrows by Milton as being the number one issue.

Jeff and Pat both gave props to our defense. Everyone likes Theo Jackson. (My own opinion is that Theo wears a cape).

Bob said 8 of our 13 penalties were on first down.

They all say Milton has the highest ceiling in our QB room. Jeff said before Dobbs he’d always thought that accuracy was something you either had or didn’t. Both He and Pat said Josh Dobbs changed their mind on that by the time he got to his senior year. His accuracy improved a lot in his time here and of course, they noted, he’s still in the league.

Arkansas got fined $100,000 for fans storming the field after their win over Texas, Jeff and Pat said the razorback fans responded, “Is that all?” (aside – I did that at Neyland once when I was home on leave from the Navy. I’d gone to the game with childhood friends who were students at UT. Like I said last week, I don’t remember who we played or anything about the game. I just remember who I was with and how much fun we all had).

Jeff & Pat gave the offensive line a “C” for a grade based on the performance they had Saturday. Both say they really think barring injuries this is going to be a much better football team in November.
Dobbs' accuracy didn't improve a lot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 7.43.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 7.43.40 PM.png
    153.2 KB · Views: 22
I'll say this, how much different would we view Hooker's appearance had Calloway not taken that screen to the house?
I was saying this during the game, "we had 3 big plays: blocked punt, Milton's run, Hooker's screen pass."

Those 3 plays kept us in the game. I didn't think Hooker's play was good. Milton's definitely wasn't.

Call me crazy but I truly believe Bailey can run nearly as good as Milton. Not really impressed with his running ability. Once he gets 15 yards down the field, he has a nice stride but it takes a while to get there.

I am not on Bailey's sack as my favorite qb however I would like to see what he can do in Heupels offense. Right now I see it as he can't be much worse. Give him a chance!!!

He faces the same problem Robert Hubbs faced at UT. Fans see a recruiting service place a label (5-star) on a recruit and we give that lots of weight. We expect they must be a can't miss prospect that can achieve elite production. That was unfair for Hubbs because the fans expectations for him were never realistic. He was mislabled by recruiting services. He never should have been ranked that highly. The result was he actually achieved what his talent allowed him to achieve and yet fans saw him as a failure. We saw the rankings and the high school stats and created an analysis for Bailey that is in some ways unfair. He is not as physically talented as we think. Does that mean he will never be successful, nope, not at all. But it does mean he is not able to come in and be good immediately. We desperately crave for him to be what the recruiting sites said he was because we NEED him to be that. We have no other great option at QB. It is not fair to him much like Hubbs. He would very likely be unsuccessful if he played now and many fans can't accept that reality without placing blame on coaching staffs instead of understanding that he was probably mislabled by recruiting services. If he came in as a 3-star most fans that are clamoring for him wouldn't be. True of false? Be honest with yourself.
I honestly don't give a runny crap what he was ranked, or about his HS "stats"...what I care about is I watched several of his games against some of the best HS competition in the country behind an average OL...I watched him make BEAUTIFUL pinpoint pass after pass after pass even when under intense pressure..I watched him decimate and dominate all of them except for one game.

That is why I was excited for him...

James Franklin has always been the rumored target for USC.

I wonder if his flirtation with us was enough to signal to other programs that he’s available for the right price.

Reactions: KPT_VFL
How much money (donated to charity) do you think it would take to get Ekeler to put his face paint from college on for a Tennessee game? Anyone with connections to the coaching staff wanna find out???

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back