It's Going To Be A long Year!

Jury is still out in my opinion. Bailey hasn't seen the field yet and I think he would make some of the deep throws that Milton keeps missing.

I don’t see this a just a quarterback problem. We have a lone of scrimmage problem, a lone backer problem, a DB problem, and a running back problem at times.

Special teams look pretty solid.

Our roster was depleted but these guys do have some fight.

Everyone needs to step up and get better.

This is a 5-7 year I think. Could be better. Could be worse.

Penalties were a killer too.

I could name 30 things that cost us the game and that in itself is bad.

Buckle up and support the team. I think the only reason this staff fails is if they can’t recruit. We’re missing the quality and depth needed to compete.

If these two quarterbacks are the best we have, it is going to be a long year. What are we going to do when we get to SEC play? Four wins top!
Hooker is probably good enough to lead this team to a 6-6 record and a bowl invitation.

To be honest, It’s going to be a typical Tennessee football season. We’ll beat tn tech next week, south Alabama, vandy, and maybe one of mizzou or South Carolina. Another 4 or 5 win season where we’re hoping for a miracle win to somehow get bowl eligible. Enjoy the game this coming weekend, because it’s about to get a lot more ugly.

Hooker is probably good enough to lead this team to a 6-6 record and a bowl invitation.
I have been wondering what the problem with Bailey has been? Milton, more experienced; Hooker looked pretty good outside of the int he threw, good scramble with his legs; but the only thing I can think of is Bailey doesn't have the experience. He's not going to get it on the bench. I hope they play his some good reps in the next game. Think Milton needs to go to the Peyton Academy to get his rocket arm tuned to hit receivers.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
It will be a long season no doubt, but at some point we have to realize it’s a new scheme both sides of ball with players from previous staff and a few transfers mixed in. Also, the loss of the better talent on the team to the portal. I would think yr 2 should be much better as far everyone knowing the scheme both sides of ball with HIS RECRUITS.

If Heupel can’t recruit better then he may not finish with a winning season here. You gotta admit Vegas would probaly rank his odds at getting fired here in 2024 at 70 percent just based on our recent history with coaches.

Reactions: knoxvol16
I think this is a 4-5 year rebuild. I’m settling in for it with the Predators as well.

Completely agree . . . maybe even longer when comparing where we really are vs the top 5 programs in the nation. After all, those programs aren't going to slow down anytime soon, so we're trying to catch a "moving train."

However, I think a large portion of the fan base is tired of one "long rebuild" after another. I know I am, even though I know another long rebuild is what's required until UT finally gets it right.

It IS a long year and our fans need to realize that. I’m disappointed but also encouraged. We are going to get better as the year goes on. We get Evans back. We get Young back which should help our pass rush. Hopefully Hooker settles in. Completing 71% coming in cold is promising. We will execute the offense better with each game and we will be competitive with every team remaining on our schedule except for Alabama and UGA. We will get breaks to go our way. We got none vs Pitt and still a foot away from potentially tying it. There’s going to be some nail biting games coming. I think we’ll win enough of those to see real progress in year one of this new staff.

Reactions: KptVFL
We're a funny bunch... We know we're a dumpster fire of a program, but mad and pointing fingers when it's exposed to the light and see it. At lease we have the will to keep believing.

I don’t see this a just a quarterback problem. We have a lone of scrimmage problem, a lone backer problem, a DB problem, and a running back problem at times.

Special teams look pretty solid.

Our roster was depleted but these guys do have some fight.

Everyone needs to step up and get better.

This is a 5-7 year I think. Could be better. Could be worse.

Penalties were a killer too.

I could name 30 things that cost us the game and that in itself is bad.

Buckle up and support the team. I think the only reason this staff fails is if they can’t recruit. We’re missing the quality and depth needed to compete.

I gave you a like as I totally agree. I will add one more point regarding the fans. Fan frustration continues to rise as we understand there is little room for error (poor play calling on 4th and 6 inches, penalties..) to secure a dub. We have been irrelevant since preseason 2005 when UT was ranked #3 in the country. We back doored our way to the SEC title in 2007.
2016- I thought that was the yr but we stumped our toe with four losses.
With that said, we are a minimum of four years away for competing for the SEC East, maybe longer. I will still support the Vols but wish I didn’t care so much- 😝.

Reactions: WesternNCVol
Completely agree . . . maybe even longer when comparing where we really are vs the top 5 programs in the nation. After all, those programs aren't going to slow down anytime soon, so we're trying to catch a "moving train."

However, I think a large portion of the fan base is tired of one "long rebuild" after another. I know I am, even though I know another long rebuild is what's required until UT finally gets it right.

I'm not even sure it's actually so much a rebuild as it is this is who we are now. I'm not saying being 4-8 every year is who we are but I think the idea of "rebuild" isn't what some think. My idea of rebuild is getting back to 8-4/9-3 being a good year. The idea of us "rebuilding" to get back to the 90s level Vols is pretty much a fantasy to me or at the least very, very, very unlikely. We're 23 years since our last SEC Championship and if we're honest we all know we're not winning one in the next 7 years so it will be 30+ years before our next one. 30 freakin' years.

It will be a long season no doubt, but at some point we have to realize it’s a new scheme both sides of ball with players from previous staff and a few transfers mixed in. Also, the loss of the better talent on the team to the portal. I would think yr 2 should be much better as far everyone knowing the scheme both sides of ball with HIS RECRUITS.
good one.
what will the next excuse be in 3 or 4 years when we restart the cycle?
We just suck and thats probably never gonna change. We hire bad coaches that are stubborn and choose the worst QB.
No need to get fancy with the excuses anymore. Lets just call it like it is. We aren't a good football program and prolly never will be again.

Reactions: igotworms
I'm not even sure it's actually so much a rebuild as it is this is who we are now. I'm not saying being 4-8 every year is who we are but I think the idea of "rebuild" isn't what some think. My idea of rebuild is getting back to 8-4/9-3 being a good year. The idea of us "rebuilding" to get back to the 90s level Vols is pretty much a fantasy to me or at the least very, very, very unlikely. We're 23 years since our last SEC Championship and if we're honest we all know we're not winning one in the next 7 years so it will be 30+ years before our next one. 30 freakin' years.

Yep. I'd love for the Vols to be a 10-2 team again within the current landscape, including a consistent ticket to the playoffs. Actually, I want even more than that for the program, but we're sooooo far being from either of those.

I felt like this game was an absolute must win for us for a couple of reasons...

1.) In a season where wins were already going to be hard to come by, we absolutely needed to win the toss ups to get bowl eligible and this was one of those toss ups. Not saying we still can't get to 6-6 but the hill has suddenly become much steeper to get there.

2.) To put it bluntly, recruiting is not going very well. Granted, one of the reasons for this is due to the negative recruiting other programs are doing against us due to the impending NCAA sanctions. However it is imperative that Coach Heupel and his staff establish some legitimacy to this program as quickly as possible and the fastest way to do that is to get this team bowl eligible and NOT lose games like the one we lost yesterday.

Make no mistake. When you're at the bottom like we are, every loss has a greater negative impact to your program than if you're on top. Yesterday's loss was a blow to Heupel's program because it's just going to make everything harder to overcome. Bowl eligibility, recruiting, fan interest, everything. We really needed to win that game.

Last edited:
If Heupel can’t recruit better then he may not finish with a winning season here. You gotta admit Vegas would probaly rank his odds at getting fired here in 2024 at 70 percent just based on our recent history with coaches.

Truth

We are currently 28th in recruiting. One player in the Top 200. Best is currently 113

Rest are all below 395

We will never compete with this type of recruiting

This is worse than Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt

I don't see us catching up with the big boys any time soon. Maybe if they decline at the same rate we ascend we can meet in the middle in five years.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Truth

We are currently 28th in recruiting. One player in the Top 200. Best is currently 113

Rest are all below 395

We will never compete with this type of recruiting

This is worse than Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt

If you can't out Jimmy and Joe'em, you have to out coach'em up to close the gap. That ain't happening with our staff vs an elite staff..

VN Store

Back