Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
An OC who has never been one before, right? Wasn’t he an assistant QB coach in the NFL? Is Stoops trying to see if he can catch lightning in a bottle, like Orgeron did with Joe Brady or whatever his name is?

Do you know who that OC is? Maybe he does well. But he was the Rams’ assistant QB coach. Yes, assistant position coach. I know everyone starts somewhere, but he’s jumping to the SEC.

Got somebody associated with a successful offensive system to say yes. Had to go down that ladder a few rungs. Switching a scheme…either offensive or defensive generally takes at least a season of transition. Add much with an OC who’s never done the job? I could see a Larry Scott arc.

I agree, but Kentucky’s offense was so putrid the new OC doesn’t have to do much to improve on those numbers. Of course he may be a Larry Scott type hire.

If moving to different schemes takes a year, we in a huge mess. The main difference is CJH has a proven track record of turning offenses completely around in one season, but Banks has a history of taking a few years before his scheme shows dividends. Kentucky’s new OC has no experience to look at to judge, but a little bit of improvement could mean a jump in their record. Again 10-2 is delusional.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
There have been many studies on this . Negative news sells much better than positive news. I think our local writers want us to fail, to be honest. Except for the VQ guys, kinda.
Sports news is an anomaly though. Even if short-term nega news were to get a lot of clicks, people will leave eventually. There was a literal exodus on 247 after the Travis Haney article, while Rivals grew thanks to subs moving there. People don't want to read people shiz all over their team time and time again. Fans at least want some hope. Some want it "real and raw" but not everyone...not by a mile.

I agree, but Kentucky’s offense was so putrid the new OC doesn’t have to do much to improve on those numbers. Of course he may be a Larry Scott type hire.

If moving to different schemes takes a year, we in a huge mess. The main difference is CJH has a proven track record of turning offenses completely around in one season, but Banks has a history of taking a few years before his scheme shows dividends. Kentucky’s new OC has no experience to look at to judge, but a little bit of improvement could mean a jump in their record. Again 10-2 is delusional.
It’s a drastic step the other way done by someone with no track success of doing so…or at all. Wouldn’t compare him to Heupel. Not sure how to judge Banks history. He had success at CMU but Illinois was a next level train wreck that on my worst day I wouldn’t compare to UT’s. We have legitimate players on the roster…poor mouthing as we are wont to describe.

The national media is usually better on topics like this, but the problem is we’ve been so bad we don’t get the amount of coverage we’re used to.

Just last week our Athletic beat writer compared us to Iowa State (as a program and fanbase) on his way out the door. And plenty of other journalists chimed in to corroborate and substantiate the question/comparison. I think that comparison is nuts! I was irate when I read it. But perception is reality, and how people with no skin in the game are you is usually your reality.

Our local media is a bunch of guys who grew up Tennessee fans. It doesn’t mean they’re always biased in favor of Tennessee, although VolQuest certainly is, and that’s where we get most of our information. They’ve followed these kids through the recruiting process, have gotten to know them, like them, and depend on them for information, and those things have skewed their analysis.

I saw where Ubben is leaving, and from what I understand, there are no plans for a replacement. If true, we’ve fallen further than I imagined. In here, many are celebrating his departure because he was “too negative” but on Reddit the Vol fans are upset to see him go because he is an excellent writer and provided great coverage. He just didn’t write the stories we wanted to read. However, all we’ve done is lose in embarrassing ways and get ourselves into NCAA trouble so I don’t know what some people expect.

One of my all-tune favorite Vols. He always delivered. He caught the go ahead touchdown in basically every meaningful SEC win over the past five or six years. Says a lot for him, but probably not much for the program since we haven’t had many meaningful SEC wins. Lol
JJ is living proof that "fight" transcends "measurables".

I pumped for the Chargers and 49'ers, hope to see a lot of JJ and Palmer (if healthy, I know he got banged up, think it was a finger in the eye, last week), tonight
What or who did you "pump" for the Chargers and 49ers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back