Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in Knoxville going to games all the time. I attended UT and look back on that time fondly. I want to win as much as anyone. However, it’s like this place has amnesia. You’re buying into reports from the same writers who have been lying to you for years. It’s like an endless cycle of “Old coach bad, new coach good” echo chamber.

I think Heupel has a chance to be very good here, but I don’t trust the local writers who cover the team. They have a vested interest in keeping up subscriptions, clicks, and false hopes. If they actually try to tell the truth they get RUNNOFT which is what my original comments were about.
I don’t disagree one bit on local writers, I’ve made my opinion known that Knoxville had the worst. From my end I base my opinions on the film that’s released and the body language of the coaches and players. That, to me, is different.

Full discloser: I said the same thing with Butch his first two years, but noted that something changed 2015-2016. He was thissss close.

If y'all can volunteer in any way please do. If not, pray.

Dozens missing and death toll over 10 last I saw in Waverly, TN.

McEwen recieved 17" of rain in under 24hrs yesterday. Dickson, Humphreys, Houston, and Hickman Counties had catastrophic flash flooding.

For reference, the Nashville flood of 2010 had a 24hr record of only 9.25", and only recieved 13.57" in 48hrs. This event shattered it. Nobody was prepared.
Had no idea it was so bad. Prayers for everyone. Such a sad story.

Here we go with the real fan argument. I’m not pessimist, I’m a realist. Blah, blah, blah.

Most people on this site are real fans because they still are here over the last 15 years. Some just are optimistic and other are pessimistic.
I heard that I have been a fan 50 years and I don't have to act like catnip to be one. I don't need to be told what is reality and what isn't. It's much better being able to handle defeat and expect to win and than expect defeat to not be disappointed, sports is about the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. It is alot like life, you get knocked down you get back up and go at it again. You don't quit or expect less, you learn and try to get better with a good attitude. If our players had the attitudes of some of the more negative fans we truly would be in a hurt. I know this leagues tough, but I know Tennessee can get back to the top and will. I will leave it at this, if you can't handle it as a fan and feel like you have to be pessimistic or you will be too let down you are in a sad spot. You can be level headed, I just want us to play hard and with effort, if we do them 2 things I think this team is going to make folks surprisingly happy!!!! GBO!!!!

Basically. So he has them beating everyone including FL except for GA and LSU. While we should be lucky to get to 6 wins.
Exactly, and that’s perception and it’s fair to an extent with our last year (though not sure why they get such a benefit of doubt).

Anyways, I LOVE what guys like Matthew Butler have said: we’re not here to talk, we have to show it on the field. That’s the chip on the shoulder I love to see and I think we will see a completely different TEAM than last year.

Exactly, and that’s perception and it’s fair to an extent with our last year (though not sure why they get such a benefit of doubt).

Anyways, I LOVE what guys like Matthew Butler have said: we’re not here to talk, we have to show it on the field. That’s the chip on the shoulder I love to see and I think we will see a completely different TEAM than last year.
Yes, loving the chip on the shoulder reports as well as the reports of how much they are enjoying playing together.

I heard that I have been a fan 50 years and I don't have to act like catnip to be one. I don't need to be told what is reality and what isn't. It's much better being able to handle defeat and expect to win and than expect defeat to not be disappointed, sports is about the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. It is alot like life, you get knocked down you get back up and go at it again. You don't quit or expect less, you learn and try to get better with a good attitude. If our players had the attitudes of some of the more negative fans we truly would be in a hurt. I know this leagues tough, but I know Tennessee can get back to the top and will. I will leave it at this, if you can't handle it as a fan and feel like you have to be pessimistic or you will be too let down you are in a sad spot. You can be level headed, I just want us to play hard and with effort, if we do them 2 things I think this team is going to make folks surprisingly happy!!!! GBO!!!!
Well said.

And I remember the 80s teams that played hard and with effort while no one gave us a chance. Some of the best games came from that time.

Hyams, Adams, Ferrara, off the top of my head are local media who did not grow up Tennessee fans. Probably plenty more if I thought about it.

And just like that - his point became pointless.

Unless you do not understand the game at all, it is really dumb to get your analysis from the media talking heads. They are in sales.

again you’re not going to get those premier Dbs until you show the ability to get the real guys upfront and prove the ability to produce draft picks. Why in the hell as a 5* Db would you go to UT past 2011? Exactly you wouldn’t because there’s absolutely no reason too. So elite recruiter or not nobody is coming here but a few who trusted CJP based on reputation. Again the UT brand is no longer the flavor to attract elite recruits like the Fulmer days. This is a harsh reality that many refuse to believe.

Ok. Not even looking for the premier DB’s. Where are the top 250-500 DB’s? Pruitt got what? 2 four stars at DB over those 3 years (Alontae and Lawrence). Now I do think he found some very good ones in Burrell and Tank McCullough, but that’s still kinda disappointing considering his “expertise.” Pruitt had a class ranked 25ish, one top 15, and one top 10. That’s as well as can be expected as far as ranking, but I still think those classes were too top heavy because Pruitt did not do a great job recruiting those mid-tier guys. Couple of top 50 guys to skew the ranking, then it was like there was huge drop off to a bunch of 3 star guys that only us and Ga Tech wanted. To quote Fulmer, “Recruiting was…. Good.”

Pruitt was still pretty lousy at all other aspects of the HC job while he was here.

I think anybody with half a brain realizes the program brand is doo doo right now, and that it’s going to be a climb. Nobody was expecting an SECC in year 3. That said, it’s pretty clear Pruitt wasn’t the guy to get the program to start climbing again, even if they gave him another 10 years. He might have continued to sprinkle in a couple of blue chippers in the next couple of classes, but when he repeatedly failed to develop or do anything with them, that would have soon stopped too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back