Joe Milton - Every Snap Minn, Mich St and Indiana

How many years of eligibility does Milton have left? I get confused with the transfer stuff plus the COVID year as to how it all works out.

Reactions: rockytop36
Milton mostly looks good in that Indiana game, but he has a few inexplicable passes that he should've never attempted. He also tries to force things too often; throwing short bullet passes that get him in trouble; even when they are "accurate", they are dangerous throws. You can see that even more versus Wisconsin.

The other issue I see is that he doesn't seem to have much pocket awareness. Not that his OL was doing him any favors, but he has no sense that the rush is coming in those highlights.

That said, when he's on, he's on. If he can find more consistency and play more intelligently, he could be an excellent QB. Hoping Heupel's offense suits him more than Harbaugh's. And from watching this, I think he'll have better WRs here as well.

Hate to say it but some of this film reminded me of JG. Overthrew players down field a bunch. Lots of comments reminded me of what we were saying about our line and JG. Holds on a tad bit too long. But he is better with his legs. Flame away

Milton mostly looks good in that Indiana game, but he has a few inexplicable passes that he should've never attempted. He also tries to force things too often; throwing short bullet passes that get him in trouble; even when they are "accurate", they are dangerous throws. You can see that even more versus Wisconsin.

The other issue I see is that he doesn't seem to have much pocket awareness. Not that his OL was doing him any favors, but he has no sense that the rush is coming in those highlights.

That said, when he's on, he's on. If he can find more consistency and play more intelligently, he could be an excellent QB. Hoping Heupel's offense suits him more than Harbaugh's. And from watching this, I think he'll have better WRs here as well.
A fair assessment and I've felt Milton was the guy since Heupel signed him.

Milton forced throws at MI because of pressure and simply needing to make SOME play. Harbaugh did him zero favors by not simplifying the offense/routes to account for a "not ready for the B1G time" offense line. Classic Harbaugh, ignore the "big uglies" and get your a$$ handed to you on the offensive and defensive line. Trenches.... still matter a lot in the B1G and Harbaugh continues to lose them every year.

So, how's the UT O-Line? Is our QB going to be bobbing and weaving and rolling and improvising? Let's be honest, if the O-Line sucks we're screwed.

I want us to be "QB U" with Heupel but in the SEC that means being "OL U" first. Are we? The "stars" said we were but.......

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
He averaged 2.5 yards per rush @ Michigan so on 4th down bring the yardstick out. Because 4X2.5 = 1st down. Just run him every down. Those QB rushes are exciting. At 2.5 per rush he is a dominant dual threat.

Sacks count as negative rushing plays at the college level IIRC....because the QB never threw the ball (so it wasnt passing yardage) and they will destroy a persons YPC average.

Remember from school how bad getting just a one time grade of Zero was...if you lost your homework? It pulls 4 grades of perfect 100 down to an 80 average. Ouch....a negative yard rushing play ( sack) is even worse than a Zero. Bet he averages quite a bit more than 2.5 yards on a real RPO keeper or a QB sneak etc. The kid is no Scam Newton....but he IS as big as Scam pretty much. Bigger than LBs...when Cade Mays met him, he thought the guy played DE....

I dont care who starts now at QB....we should play 12 games and a bowl at 6 and 6 or maaaaybe 7 and 5 regular season. I think at LEAST 2 QBs play meaningful snaps this year and maybe even 3 counting mop up duty over 4 games to preserve redshirt.

Three years of Guarantano will make anyone look good in comparison.

Not that my opinion matters but I am not sold on him yet and won't be until he wins some SEC games.

Seeing a lot of the same things Guarantano got into trouble for.....questionable decision making and accuracy issues being the two main ones. And he wasn't playing against the same level of talent that he is getting ready to face.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

Add on to all of this, Michigan had ZERO running game. And that's huge. We are going to run the ball and that will help facilitate his talents tremendously better than Michigan did.

Bailey should start. Milton and Hooker were failures or they wouldn’t be at Tennessee. Typical TN bad coaching decision. Another long 3 years with Humpone in charge. Let’s start looking for a coach now.

Joined less than a month ago. Troll alert.

EDIT: and i hadn't even seen GoVolunteers say the same above when i posted. Agreed!

Reactions: FBtime
I don't know who will be QB 1,Im a Bailey fan myself, but writing them off because they are transfers is stupid. There is a TON of QBs who transfer and it ended up working out for them.

This ain't even scratching the surface, but

Ryan Mallett
Russell Wilson
Jake Coker
Baker Mayfield
Kyler Murray
Will Grier
Cam Newton
Riley Ferguson
JT Daniels

Dude named Burrows also had an ok season after a transfer. ;)

Reactions: VolForLife83
Hate to say it but some of this film reminded me of JG. Overthrew players down field a bunch. Lots of comments reminded me of what we were saying about our line and JG. Holds on a tad bit too long. But he is better with his legs. Flame away

I just hope he doesn't shoot mythical arrows after TDs.

Reactions: Ertel
Few observations -

1. His OL absolutely sucked. They were horrible. He had no time to set his feet.
2. He throws more accurately on the run.
3. He is very inaccurate downfield (probably because of his OL) in the videos.
4. He is not very accurate in the pocket over 10 yards (again, probably OL). He needs to be on the outside in bootlegs, etc throwing on the run.

If one wanted to be cynical, one could say this is a good assessment of JG while at UT.

Reactions: windrider

Part of that Indiana game that most are not taking into account is that IU came out and absolutely punched UM square in the mouth when IU was not supposed / expected to do so. UM was playing from behind the entire game and Milton was put into a position where he felt pressured to make plays at times.

I too agree that he needs to be more aware of the rush and when, or where, his safety valve 'dump off' guy is at whether that be a RB, TE, or toss out of bounds.

Part of the reasons he's sometimes throwing those bullet was because the WR had minimal separation. Those guys were not very good. Ronnie Bell was a good possession WR. But even he just had average foot speed. They could not consistently stretch the defense. So Milton was playing in a shortened field with no running game and always playing from behind because Michigan defense sucked too.

He made mistakes mostly because he was gambling that his arm could carry the team. And lost because of that sometimes.
He won't need to risk like that with his supporting cast here. The supporting cast is talented enough for him to play within himself and just trust his reads.

Also our defense won't consistently put our offense in catch up mode.

VN Store

Back