Brian Maurer - Latest Tweet

maurer lacks discipline for the position he plays. this is why he struggles. he does things qbs aren't supposed to do. some of his fans want to blame it on coaching, but these type of things go back to youth thru high school and are things a starting SEC qb should know to do or not do. the people in his corner are not relaying these things to him so he's struggling mentally as to why he cannot play in the SEC like he has his whole life and it is a disservice to him and his goals. instead, those who were said to have taught him spend more time arguing with us instead of helping refine his mental game. yes, he has the physical tools to play several positions, but his football iq and mental game scream wr, not qb. this is why he has no chance to be the starter and ive said it since i first saw him play

His energy and fire...along with his athleticism...yeah he probably could be a good WR.

I won't %100 agree with everything you're saying about his overall abilities. But in light of what has transpired recently, you do make a valid point in that long term you do have to question where his best opportunity is. And I can't believe I'm actually giving you that much credit...but yeah. WR is less thinking. Its more physical in nature, and Maurer loves to run. He's into feeling and playing with emotion. He probably has good hands from playing QB.

He probably could be fiery WR that infuriates the defense with his quickness and competitive nature.

However, I still believe he can play QB somewhere and be very productive. All-Conference type player.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
Jimmy Johnson said something to the effect (when he took the Cowboy job) ... I am not going to treat you the same. I am going to treat you, how you need to be treated ... some of you will get a kick in the rear, some of you I will put my arm around, some of you I will grab your face mask, etc. (Really good speech .. if you can find it.)
His goal for everyone was the same ... help them succeed. He recognized that nobody is exactly the same and you cannot afford to treat everyone the same.
Riley Ferguson, after some adversity ... left ... and he later owned it and said ... it was a mistake. (It happens.) But my gut says that Riley and Brian are 2 totally different cases.
Application: Let's not decide what needs to happen. Let's hope the coaches give him exactly what he needs to succeed ... either here or somewhere else.
Let's be patient with a young man .. who admittedly ... said he did not have his mind in a good place ... guys it can take a while to get our head screwed on right.
Anyone who mentions any kind of suicidal words ... needs help - not critic. (Note: I am not a stranger to this topic. It deserves careful support from us. We do not want to nudge them off balance when they are already trying to navigate a high wire act.)
Frankly, at this moment, I have no idea what Brian needs AND our best efforts are ... passing on judging the young man!!! But I assure you ... if he were to reach out to me ... I have absolutely NOTHING even the least bit negative to say! I want what is best for Brian - I just do not know what that is ... right now.

...He probably could be fiery WR that infuriates the defense with his quickness and competitive nature.

However, I still believe he can play QB somewhere and be very productive. All-Conference type player.
Alcoa says, "Quarterbacks can turn into great receivers ... when their mind gets to that place."

Jimmy Johnson said something to the effect (when he took the Cowboy job) ... I am not going to treat you the same. I am going to treat you, how you need to be treated ... some of you will get a kick in the rear, some of you I will put my arm around, some of you I will grab your face mask, etc. (Really good speech .. if you can find it.)
His goal for everyone was the same ... help them succeed. He recognized that nobody is exactly the same and you cannot afford to treat everyone the same.
Riley Ferguson, after some adversity ... left ... and he later owned it and said ... it was a mistake. (It happens.) But my gut says that Riley and Brian are 2 totally different cases.
Application: Let's not decide what needs to happen. Let's hope the coaches give him exactly what he needs to succeed ... either here or somewhere else.
Let's be patient with a young man .. who admittedly ... said he did not have his mind in a good place ... guys it can take a while to get our head screwed on right.
Anyone who mentions any kind of suicidal words ... needs help - not critic. (Note: I am not a stranger to this topic. It deserves careful support from us. We do not want to nudge them off balance when they are already trying to navigate a high wire act.)
Frankly, at this moment, I have no idea what Brian needs AND our best efforts are ... passing on judging the young man!!! But I assure you ... if he were to reach out to me ... I have absolutely NOTHING even the least bit negative to say! I want what is best for Brian - I just do not know what that is ... right now.
I don’t think he knows either and that’s the issue. That’s the identity crisis he’s going through. Some days he probably does want an arm around the shoulder, other days his mood takes him to his dog mentality and he feels like he can be a starter over anyone on any team and doesn’t want to be coddled, he wants to be coached hard. But he has to find a balance.

... I had a friend commit suicide, didn’t say a word to anyone. From what I hear that’s generally how it goes down.
It is the quiet ones that surprise us ... because we are not paying close attention. My nephew took his life a week after he saved someone else from trying to take their own life.
A football player might make a big show .... (true story) player knocked on his girlfriends door who had just broken up with him and he killed himself on her front porch as she watched.
It is really a pain level that becomes unbearable ... the pain can be physical, emotional, psychological, imagined or real.
Be gentle.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
maurer lacks discipline for the position he plays. this is why he struggles. he does things qbs aren't supposed to do. some of his fans want to blame it on coaching, but these type of things go back to youth thru high school and are things a starting SEC qb should know to do or not do. the people in his corner are not relaying these things to him so he's struggling mentally as to why he cannot play in the SEC like he has his whole life and it is a disservice to him and his goals. instead, those who were said to have taught him spend more time arguing with us instead of helping refine his mental game. yes, he has the physical tools to play several positions, but his football iq and mental game scream wr, not qb. this is why he has no chance to be the starter and ive said it since i first saw him play
I know who you’re referring to when you say the things above. I actually agree to an extent. In most cases it IS a disservice to allow a kid to operate against “the book”. It’s hard to explain but when you see a kid with a naturally different playing style you go with it if he’s effective. If qb coaches did try correct every flaw the position would never evolve. We would never know the likes of a Steve Young, Brett Favre, Lamar Jackson. Because Steve Young (back then) would’ve had the running abilities coached out of him because he was too valuable. Brett Favre would’ve never made the league or even seen the field because his natural playing style was reckless. Lamar Jackson wouldn’t have made the college ranks because “by the book” his mechanics are absolutely awful. Those three are perfect examples of finding a coach that doesn’t believe the way you do. They found a coach that was willing to give them a chance in spite of what the book says a qb should be like and it worked out quite well for all of them.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
Seems Maurer needs a shrink more than he needs a football team. Wish this guy well in all that he does but life doesn't get any easier after college sports.

Reactions: vols1071
I know who you’re referring to when you say the things above. I actually agree to an extent. In most cases it IS a disservice to allow a kid to operate against “the book”. It’s hard to explain but when you see a kid with a naturally different playing style you go with it if he’s effective. If qb coaches did try correct every flaw the position would never evolve. We would never know the likes of a Steve Young, Brett Favre, Lamar Jackson. Because Steve Young (back then) would’ve had the running abilities coached out of him because he was too valuable. Brett Favre would’ve never made the league or even seen the field because his natural playing style was reckless. Lamar Jackson wouldn’t have made the college ranks because “by the book” his mechanics are absolutely awful. Those three are perfect examples of finding a coach that doesn’t believe the way you do. They found a coach that was willing to give them a chance in spite of what the book says a qb should be like and it worked out quite well for all of them.
those guys you named, their ability to run was different. im talking shear decision-making. i love dual-threat qbs. hell, our last natty qb was a dual threat. its the other stuff......the unnecessary risks he takes. brett adjusted. dont let nfl films fool you. one of my favorite, VinceYoung, hand "terrible mechanics". again, this isnt a mechanics issue, it's a decisions issue

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
His energy and fire...along with his athleticism...yeah he probably could be a good WR.

I won't %100 agree with everything you're saying about his overall abilities. But in light of what has transpired recently, you do make a valid point in that long term you do have to question where his best opportunity is. And I can't believe I'm actually giving you that much credit...but yeah. WR is less thinking. Its more physical in nature, and Maurer loves to run. He's into feeling and playing with emotion. He probably has good hands from playing QB.

He probably could be fiery WR that infuriates the defense with his quickness and competitive nature.

chief.....i know football. like in depth football. read along and you'll find out. might think it sounds silly at first, but then once time goes by you'll be like "damn, lexvol said this very thing and sure enough here it is".....like this situation!

those guys you named, their ability to run was different. im talking shear decision-making. i love dual-threat qbs. hell, our last natty qb was a dual threat. its the other stuff......the unnecessary risks he takes. brett adjusted. dont let nfl films fool you. one of my favorite, VinceYoung, hand "terrible mechanics". again, this isnt a mechanics issue, it's a decisions issue
I don’t need NFL films to tell you Brett Favre was just like Brian in decision making. I watched the man play since he took over in Green Bay because he was one of my favorite qbs of all time. He was high risk/high reward. Trusted his arm too much at times. It cost them games. But it also lead them to the playoffs several times and won them a SB.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
chief.....i know football. like in depth football. read along and you'll find out. might think it sounds silly at first, but then once time goes by you'll be like "damn, lexvol said this very thing and sure enough here it is".....like this situation!
Not trying to combative but you’ve been wrong on about everything you’ve said for the past three years.

It's tough im not going to lie, I have bi polar disorder among other mental health issues and It's the worst thing I continue to go through, you never know when something will trigger depression or a manic episode, it's like you're living your life walking on egg shells, I don't know all of BM mental health issues but I feel for him because it's a tough road. I had the privilege of playing the great sport of football for over 20 years and as much as I loved it then and now I know it's the cause for some of my other mental health issues but I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it over again. As bad as it can be my love for football hasn't changed

I don’t need NFL films to tell you Brett Favre was just like Brian in decision making. I watched the man play since he took over in Green Bay because he was one of my favorite qbs of all time. He was high risk/high reward. Trusted his arm too much at times. It cost them games. But it also lead them to the playoffs several times and won them a SB.
no...he wasn't. brett is an all-time nfl qb. HOF. brian is a bad decision-making qb. like he had one good throw and several bad ones. brett farve is more like a 60/40 guy, not 10/90 like maurer. maurer is a wr

I really hope Maurer get his life straightened out. It seems like he deals with some demons. We all do in some sort or another. He seems like a good guy and has talent as a QB. If for some reason he doesn’t make it here, I would love to see him go elsewhere and have a Nathan Peterman like redemption.

Reactions: sona and VFLBerg
yep, another failed opinion.....just like ur maurer takes
A failed opinion is what I’m calling you out on. Anyone on this board can go back and look up your opinions and they’d be left wondering why you’re patting yourself on the back because you’ve been wrong on most of your posts for the past few years. “Maurer will be behind JG AND Shrout”. “Maurer will never be the starter at UT”. Any of this ring a bell? Because you’ve said the same thing since 2019. He was never behind Shrout and he DID become the starter. You may want to consider deleting post 387 to littlevol because your history shows you know as much about football as you do punctuation.

Not trying to combative but you’ve been wrong on about everything you’ve said for the past three years.

Not trying to be combative either 1vol8 .... glad for what you bring ... but right now you are the one whose primary argument since you joined VN has been proven completely wrong. Excellent coach, former star at QB, and his staff just found Brian to be far from ready to lead this team as its QB. You're so invested that you can't even see how wrong you have been. Your defensive rebuttal that you will soon give will only be further proof that you just don't get it. Too close to BM, too enmeshed with his fate. But the truth is, he's an athletic but volatile young man with some foot speed and a live arm ... and despite that, FAR from ready to be the Vols QB and nowhere near as good an option as you have been vociferously saying since you joined this board. You were blunt in your reply above to lexkyvol, here's my equal bluntness.

@1vol8, I think I've been decent in this discussion and I'll give you that Pruitt abused Brian Maurer but I think Heupel gave him a fair chance.

If the NCAA violation crap plays in this, that's not on Heupel, but I doubt that is an issue. If it is, and you know it, declare. No harm, no foul to BM at this point if the NCAA is stealing his dream via Pruitt.

If Brian failed to beat the other 3 fair and square, which is how I think it went down, he needs to either lower his head and grind at QB4..... or go somewhere else to give himself a chance. Very very very very few QB4s end up playing on Sunday.

As always, if Brian Maurer is facing challenges beyond football with his mental health, physical health, or emotional coping strategies he needs to address those before he considers EVER going into Anderson again. Football is NOT the only career available to him.

Reactions: 1vol8
no...he wasn't. brett is an all-time nfl qb. HOF. brian is a bad decision-making qb. like he had one good throw and several bad ones. brett farve is more like a 60/40 guy, not 10/90 like maurer. maurer is a wr
Didn't Favre complete less then 41% of his passes as a freshman??

Reactions: 1vol8
A failed opinion is what I’m calling you out on. Anyone on this board can go back and look up your opinions and they’d be left wondering why you’re patting yourself on the back because you’ve been wrong on most of your posts for the past few years. “Maurer will be behind JG AND Shrout”. “Maurer will never be the starter at UT”. Any of this ring a bell? Because you’ve said the same thing since 2019. He was never behind Shrout and he DID become the starter. You may want to consider deleting post 387 to littlevol because your history shows you know as much about football as you do punctuation.
Your devotion to Maurer has blinded you. He became the starter because Pruitt got desperate with JG being so pathetic and Shrout not a factor. If there had been any other choice, Maurer would have never seen the field. There are choices now and we see where Maurer is (or isn’t). Heupel knows quarterbacks and I’ll take his opinion before most others. But definitely before yours. Next subject.

Reactions: lexkyvol

VN Store

Back