This is a 9-3 Schedule

It may be a 9-3 schedule but it is definitely not a 9-3 team. The realistic range is 3-5 wins with 4 being most likely and 6 as the absolute ceiling. This team has very few players who would even be on the field at any upper tier P5 conference team. Add in a new scheme on both sides of the ball that causes growing pains for even. talented team and you have a real recipe for disaster.

On defense:
--An inexperience DL with little SEC talent and less depth. NO proven speed rusher
--An OVC level LB corps
--No shutdown corner and a lack of overall speed in the DB

On offense:
--Still having 4 QBs in the mix for starter means there is no real SEC level QB on the roster
--No homerun RB. None of them could break a long run against the defense on the field in the spring game
--No proven playmakers at WR
--OL is best unit on team and only 1 or 2 of them would be in the 2 deep of any of the top 5 or 6 SEC teams
--Bright spot on the offense is Guarantano is gone.

Recruiting 3 stars is not gonna get this turned around any time soon either. There are a lot of delusional fans who need to come to grips that the Tennessee Football program cannot get much lower than it is now......but, they seem determined to get it lower.
FYI…Derek Barnett was a 3 star

Lol...so, if your proposition is correct and all games are equal, as long as the current coach at UT wins the 4 OOC games and goes 2-6 in conference play to get to one of the glorified scrimmages that are non-CFP bowl games, that in your eyes is a successful season?

Looks like a little college football research and SEC predictions......My guess at a 5-7 season is not that far off. I see on line all the same wins that I predict except one. The wins in that report are Bowling Green, Pittsburgh (which I predict a loss), Tenn Tech, SC, South Alabama, and Vanderbilt. I do hope I am wrong though and will gladly admit being wrong if it happens.

I don’t understand this at all.

Maybe try reading it slower and it will mean something. I'm not one of those that actually believes we will go 9-3 this year. We have a lot to prove on the field on game day. For my 64 plus years I have seen the hype and talk of how great we are going to be after viewing a few practice videos......As if other teams are not going to be competitive to us. A football report I read yesterday predicts us to be 6-6 instead of my prediction of 5-7. That report had the same losses and wins that I have other than the Pitt game (which I predict to be a loss). My prediction has nothing to do with the transfer losses and it would be the same had we not lost any to transfer.

Maybe try reading it slower and it will mean something. I'm not one of those that actually believes we will go 9-3 this year. We have a lot to prove on the field on game day. For my 64 plus years I have seen the hype and talk of how great we are going to be after viewing a few practice videos......As if other teams are not going to be competitive to us. A football report I read yesterday predicts us to be 6-6 instead of my prediction of 5-7. That report had the same losses and wins that I have other than the Pitt game (which I predict to be a loss). My prediction has nothing to do with the transfer losses and it would be the same had we not lost any to transfer.

So you're saying that you are aware of the all our opponents scouting reports?
Or, are you just going by ESPN preseason rankings?

Please tell us why Kentucky is better.
Mizzou?
Ole Miss?
Pitt panthers lol? Please share your knowledge about all of those "superior" teams :)

Reactions: Rickyvol77
BeardedVol deriding a 6-6 record being considered successful:

BeardedVol extolling virtue of 6-6 season

What OVERALL situation? Like these things that I already mentioned?

FBtime:

BeardedVol

Not true...5-7 would NOT be acceptable. Honestly you should stop while you're behind.
It’s all he knows. Which isn’t much

Reactions: FBtime
7 isn't out of the realm of possibilities with this offensive scheme and a true mobile QB. Defenses can't pin their ears back like the have in the past with JG under center. If we blow out Pitt, would that change a lot of people's minds?

My 2021 College Football record season prediction for the Tennessee Volunteers
7-5

I won’t set myself up for a huge disappointment with being an unrealistic optimistic Volunteers fan by picking them to win 9 games or higher.
Las Vegas has them winning 6 games or 7 games which is realistic.
I am being a realistic optimistic Volunteers fan since I’m picking them to win 7 games.
Bowling Green
Volunteers win
The Volunteers are playing 1 of the youngest teams in College Football, the game is in Rocky Top, and the Volunteers with the advantage with more returning starters for defense and offense that execute both in the 1st half and 2nd half are why the Volunteers demolish a will have growing pains Bowling Green team.

Pittsburgh
Volunteers win
Pittsburgh isn’t rebuilding which is why I think they keep the game close.
The Volunteers execute enough on offense in the 2nd half needed to win, and the Panthers can’t quite the thundering crowd in Rocky Top.

Tennessee Tech
Volunteers Win
The game is in Rocky Top, the Volunteers play great defeating a team that can’t contain the Volunteers offense from scoring in the 1st half and 2nd half.
An easy win except I wouldn’t be shocked if they didn’t win because an inferior team defeating a better team happens in College Football.

At Florida
Volunteers Win
The Gators won’t be highly rested after playing the juggernaut Alabama which gives the Volunteers a slight advantage.
A close game that the Volunteers win because they execute more critical offense plays in the 4th quarter.

At Missouri
Tigers Win
The Tigers play better on offense and defense, and the Thundering crowd creates issues for the Volunteers in the 1st half and 2nd half.

South Carolina
Gamecocks win
The Gamecocks show any given Saturday by executing more on offense and defense.

Ole Miss
Rebels Win
A shootout that the Rebels win because the Volunteer's defense can’t stop the Rebels from scoring touchdowns when needed most.

At Alabama
Crimson Tide Win
The game is in Alabama, and the Crimson Tide has constantly shown they are an excellent team in the Nick Saban era when they have a New starting QB.
The Crimson Tide demolish an outmatched Volunteers team, and I will not be shocked that the game becomes an embarrassment before halftime.
An All too easy win for the Crimson Tide

At Kentucky
Volunteers win
The Volunteers win a close game because the players are motivated to rebound this season because of having lost a winnable game to the Wildcats in 2020.

Georgia
Bulldogs win
The Bulldogs are a great team that can realistically defeat Alabama, and no doubt they win the SEC East.
The Volunteers are able to keep the game a close watchable game in Rocky Top, and because the Volunteers no doubt will be motivated to play a full game to keep the game close after the 2nd half embarrassment in Georgia.
I wouldn’t be shocked if the Volunteers proved me wrong by winning this challenging game because the game is in Rocky Top, they’ll be wanting to avoid a 2nd consecutive embarrassment after being demolished by Alabama, and the bulletin board material is avoiding a 2nd half embarrassment by playing a full game.

South Alabama
Volunteers Win
The Volunteers demolish an inferior team in Rocky Top.

Vanderbilt
Volunteers Win
The Volunteers look excellent because they demolish an awful Vanderbilt team.

Last edited:
Reactions: RhodesVol
The schedule outlook, in my opinion, hinges pretty significantly on what happens in the Pitt game.

It's a toss-up to me, but we will likely be underdogs per the line. If we beat Pitt, then 7-8 wins could be possible (not likely, but possible). That win would indicate we are a pretty decent football team, and should beat Vandy and South Carolina, add the other two non-conference games, and you have 6 wins already. Then there are toss-ups with Missouri, Kentucky, and potentially Ole Miss.

Lost to Pitt, and getting to 6-6 becomes extremely difficult. You would then need to beat all of your remaining non-conference opponents, as well as three of Vandy, South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky and Ole Miss.

I don't see us beating Florida, Georgia or Alabama in either scenario. Either way, beating Pittsburgh - which I can't really predict yet one way or another - is the most pivotal tell-tale sign as to what we can/should be able to accomplish.

Per the talent rankings put out this week by 247, where they analyze the entirety of every teams roster this season, we have the 19th most talented team in the country even after the transfer departures. This team wasn't lacking in talent last season, they were lacking some combination of coaching, motivation, and confidence. We were a JG away from beating Kentucky (we spotted them 17 points in the first half, and then the team laid down). We had realistic opportunities to beat both Auburn and Arkansas...JG tanked the Auburn game with the 100 yard pick 6.

Looks like a little college football research and SEC predictions......My guess at a 5-7 season is not that far off. I see on line all the same wins that I predict except one. The wins in that report are Bowling Green, Pittsburgh (which I predict a loss), Tenn Tech, SC, South Alabama, and Vanderbilt. I do hope I am wrong though and will gladly admit being wrong if it happens.

Yeah, UT is going to win 3 conference games IMO so winning 3 or 4 OOC games gets the Vols in that 6-7 win range. That seems likely tbh. There is upside from there if the Defense is improved a good bit. Going to a bowl at 6 or 7 wins with a chance for one more is success in 2021

I will save this and get back to you later in the year.....IF I am crazy, then I will gladly eat my words.....But in my 64 years of life, I've seen hype and only disappointments year after year. I see nothing to talk hype about just yet until the season starts. 12-0 is possible but not likely.

Still want to say that I am crazy????? Several folks here posted that I was crazy for saying that we would lose to Pitt as well. We should have won but as usual, we played lousy on game day. I saw 21 points given away in the first half that was sure touchdowns. When you have a QB that is good in practice......And terrible in games, we get what we witnessed on Saturday. On Saturday, Milton could not have hit the broad side of a barn had he been standing two feet away from it. Still want to say will beat Old Miss and other teams? So far, I'm not eating any words here.....But I hope I do.

VN Store

Back