'22 TN DT Walter Nolen (Ole Miss)

Wait, the TAMU BBQ wasn't his one official visit?

I thought that was how it was allowed.

Thinking back to Bruce's BBQ - was that more because it was at his house? They were unofficials, so I thought that was what made it illegal, but apparently not...? Or maybe because it was both unofficial AND at his house?

Because if you’re a difference maker, you can literally start at any top school on your list.

I see NFL players from small no name colleges on Sunday all the time and in the draft. If you are good enough the pros will find you at the combine. If you are good enough, just go play for your favorite college/coach. A true 4/5* doesn't need to play for a bama, OSU, UGA , etc to get them to the NFL.:eek:

Wait, the TAMU BBQ wasn't his one official visit?

I thought that was how it was allowed.

Thinking back to Bruce's BBQ - was that more because it was at his house? They were unofficials, so I thought that was what made it illegal, but apparently not...? Or maybe because it was both unofficial AND at his house?
If I remember correctly, and I probably dont, it was because the recruit wasn't old enough

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I see NFL players from small no name colleges on Sunday all the time and in the draft. If you are good enough the pros will find you at the combine. If you are good enough, just go play for your favorite college/coach. A true 4/5* doesn't need to play for a bama, OSU, UGA , etc to get them to the NFL.:eek:
Sure, but development sure helps a lot...as does playing better competition. They can increase your chances. Not that every top team has proven that, but Bama definitely has beyond a doubt (I was skeptical myself until I looked at the numbers) and I'd say even Clemson. UGA and others...not so much.

Those small no name colleges also make up 2/3 of football and yet produce only about 5-7% of draftees.

Difference makers see the field regardless no? Is that not why they’re called difference makers?
Yeah…when they PLAY? If there are several others on the roster, then that doesn’t negate that factor. You shouldn’t need other difference makers to suck, to make a difference when you get a chance. Send up a flare when you get this.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
If I remember correctly, and I probably dont, it was because the recruit wasn't old enough
This. Craft was a junior. Seniors, at the time, were permitted to take place in off campus functions as part of a recruiting trip, but underclassmen were not. That is what made the BBQ, and more specifically Craft's attendance, and NCAA violation. And Pearl knew that because he violated the same rule at Milwaukee and been caught, and it's why he prefaced their attendance by telling them it was illegal for him to be there.

Reactions: Hoghater
Difference makers see the field regardless no? Is that not why they’re called difference makers?
A player could be an immediate difference maker at one school, but not an immediate difference maker at another school, due to the depth chart at each respective school.

Everything that was done at the BBQ was a minor violation at best. What got Pearl fired and the show cause was him lying about it to NCAA investigators.
A good AD would have had all that blocked before it even got to that. Mike Hamilton is to root of a lot of our issues to this day. I have no good feelings toward him.

Everything that was done at the BBQ was a minor violation at best. What got Pearl fired and the show cause was him lying about it to NCAA investigators.
Good AD and Pearl is still here….. it made it worse that they changed the rule to where it wasn’t a violation while giving him a three year show cause.

VN Store

Back