Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Last edited:
dated 1 day ago
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...covid-19-cases-top-2-000-1st-time-in-5-months

Only 3% of the state's intensive care unit beds and 20% of its hospital beds are available.

and the number of people in the hospital due to COVID-19 grew by 45 to 1,025.

Dated Dec 18, 2020

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...te-democrats-more-steps-needed-to-fight-virus

The Department of Health said only 37 — or 3% — of its 1,154 ICU beds and 2,194 — or 24% — of its 9,025 total hospital beds are available. There are 368 COVID-19 patients in ICUs around the state. The state's COVID-19 hospitalizations dropped by 11 to 1,073.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
Who is arguing that wearing a cloth mask offers YOU ironclad protection? The primary purpose is to limit the spread of large droplets containing large amounts of coronavirus from a potentially asymptomatic YOU. If we ALL do that, we can limit the spread for the simple reason that a good chunk of the virus is being retained in the mask and the space between your mug and the mask, or at least not traveling as far away from you as it would without a mask. This is not hard. But it does require our freedumb loving brethren to actually be civically minded for once instead of being selfish a-holes.

I've come to the conclusion that too many trumpers live in a black and white world, there's no room for discernment or shades of gray. My belief is that it takes too much effort on their part to make distinctions, see subtlety or nuance.

Masks obviously work as a knockdown barrier from slinging expelled germs via saliva or exhalation. The physics offer an undebatable proof as evidenced by the fact that no surgeon would consider doing surgery in a first world operating theater without one. For some one to suggest that since it's not bullet proof it's not worth the effort is galactically stupid.

Reactions: lostsheep
Because the unvaccinated are starting to put a strain on our healthcare system. "Just let the unvaccinated die" isn't sound social policy.

It was never presented otherwise. It was known from the beginning that you could still pick it up and pass it on. You know, just like every other vaccine in existence.
No it wasn't. We were told along with the 95% efficacy was a correlated drop in virus load. In other words, if you got sick you only shed 5% of the virus an unvaccinated person would. Now they're saying it's the same. What magic.

Also please look at all the deaths we're incurring. We're averaging something like 240 a day for the past month. The line has been quite flat. The people getting sick now are much younger than those six months ago and can handle it better. The mayor here says this variant is going to wind up killing a lot of kids, the only people that have died in the last month are all 71-80 or 80+.

So, just that I have this straight...

Wear a mask to prevent the spread until we get a vaccine.

We get a vaccine so we can stop wearing masks...

Now we should wear a mask even if we are vaccinated?

Is double masking next on the agenda and that Fauci idiot going to suggest face shields again?

No it wasn't. We were told along with the 95% efficacy was a correlated drop in virus load. In other words, if you got sick you only shed 5% of the virus an unvaccinated person would. Now they're saying it's the same. What magic.

You're seeing different stuff than I am. Everything I've read suggests that vaccinated people are less likely to transmit.

You're seeing different stuff than I am. Everything I've read suggests that vaccinated people are less likely to transmit.
Covid-19 Updates: What We Know About the C.D.C.’s New Mask Guidance for Vaccinated People
But that was before the arrival of the Delta variant, which now accounts for the bulk of infections in the United States. C.D.C. officials were persuaded by new scientific evidence showing that even vaccinated people may become infected and may carry the virus in great amounts, Dr. Walensky acknowledged at the news briefing.

I've come to the conclusion that too many trumpers live in a black and white world, there's no room for discernment or shades of gray. My belief is that it takes too much effort on their part to make distinctions, see subtlety or nuance.

Masks obviously work as a knockdown barrier from slinging expelled germs via saliva or exhalation. The physics offer an undebatable proof as evidenced by the fact that no surgeon would consider doing surgery in a first world operating theater without one. For some one to suggest that since it's not bullet proof it's not worth the effort is galactically stupid.
They do work for many germs and bacteria, just not for CoVid virus. Tell me to wear it for larger infectants but not for covid

Nice self-own dude. Go look at Korea's population (~50 million) and their total cases (less than 200k) and compare that with the US's total population (~330 million) and total cases (~34 million). Tack on the density of the population compared to the US, Korea has likely done as well as it has BECAUSE of high mask compliance.

And most important stat: Korea has a little over 2000 deaths. The US, over 600k

Freedumb is a helluva drug.
Population has nothing to do with it. 20,000 people or 300m people. The percentage still shows the masks aren't working.

Reactions: Wireless1

We were told along with the 95% efficacy was a correlated drop in virus load. In other words, if you got sick you only shed 5% of the virus an unvaccinated person would. Now they're saying it's the same.

But that was before the arrival of the Delta variant, which now accounts for the bulk of infections in the United States. C.D.C. officials were persuaded by new scientific evidence showing that even vaccinated people may become infected and may carry the virus in great amounts, Dr. Walensky acknowledged at the news briefing.

"The same [as unvaccinated people]" and "great amounts" are not the same thing. A vaccinated person may carry the virus in great amounts and still carry significantly less of it than an unvaccinated person.

Population has nothing to do with it. 20,000 people or 300m people. The percentage still shows the masks aren't working.

I'm not sure about that. Even if there cases went up by a large percentage, if only .4% of their population has become infected while 10% of our population has, and they've been much better about mask wearing, I think the conclusion to draw is that universal mask wearing may actually be quite effective in slowing the spread.

You'd make a rock feel smart. Go to the financial times and compare the US (less dense, far less mask compliance) and South Korea (one of the most densely populated countries in the world/high mask compliance) and tell me what you think explains the difference.

Coronavirus chart: see how your country compares | Free to read | Financial Times

I'm not sure about that. Even if there cases went up by a large percentage, if only .4% of their population has become infected while 10% of our population has, and they've been much better about mask wearing, I think the conclusion to draw is that universal mask wearing may actually be quite effective in slowing the spread.
It's no different than the equation they use for showing more cases. If you have 1 case of covid and get a new case today it should be shown as +1 in covid cases. But they use the % and the headline is "Covid cases up 100%." Lol

Plus much higher population density in South Korea.

It's no different than the equation they use for showing more cases. If you have 1 case of covid and get a new case today it should be shown as +1 in covid cases. But they use the % and the headline is "Covid cases up 100%." Lol

Right. That's exactly what your graph did. Korea started from a much lower number, so their rise in cases resulted in a large percentage of growth. It's still a much lower percentage of their total population.

Last edited:
We were told along with the 95% efficacy was a correlated drop in virus load. In other words, if you got sick you only shed 5% of the virus an unvaccinated person would. Now they're saying it's the same.

"The same [as unvaccinated people]" and "great amounts" are not the same thing. A vaccinated person may carry the virus in great amounts and still carry significantly less of it than an unvaccinated person.
CDC Confirms That Viral Loads In Vaccinated People With Delta May Be Infectious, So Masks Are Necessary

Keep digging.

VN Store

Back