'22 TN ATH/RB Dallan Hayden (Ohio State commit)

Urban Meyer is the second greatest college football coach of all time, dude. Lose to teams he shouldn't have? He's 187-32 in his career in college...thats winning 85% of the games he's coached. He's also 12-3 in bowl games. To compare Day to Meyer, and to go as far as to say Day is better, well...I don't mean to be mean, but...it's laughable.

He's 4th at best: Saban, General, Bear.

Post of the year, anyone that puts urb in front of the General and Bear is living in a fantasy land and yes that is directed at you, scrub!

I’ll never include a coach or player in my top tier that coached before the integration of the black athlete in a sport because that was not a true era of inclusion of the best of the best. I know this won’t sit well with some but that’s just my criteria.

Don't get me wrong, Urban Meyer is a great coach. BUT, he's been known to lose to teams he shouldn't have. Michigan State, Iowa, and Purdue come to mind. Day is taking recruiting to a different level, One thing's for certain; OSU has been VERY lucky in its succession of head coaches.

They have only had 6 coaches ( not including interim coach Luke Fickell 10 years ago) since 1950. That is 71 years, and all have been highly succesfull.... In fact there has never been a dropoff at all. It is one of the rare programs that hasn't... Woody Hayes, Earle Bruce, John Cooper, Jim Tressell, Urban Meyer, and now Day.

Meyer is a fantastic recruiter but he sure knew what he was saying when he said that Day was by far the best ass't he ever had, and that includes Mullen and Whittingham. That guy and his staff are taking recruiting to another level.

Last edited:
Saban hasn't lost to an SEC East team in 10 years. That's enough for me to call him the GOAT. Even the best coaches are bound to slip up just once. And it isn't like he's played cupcakes. Lost of talented teams over those years, though I can't say much for the opposing coaches he's faced.

Not even close…

Urban Meyer was a fantastic coach.... Saban is at the top of the list though, but Day will be as good, if not better than Meyer.

1. Proven track record with getting QB's to the next level

2. Very agreeable personality that recruits and parents like.

3. He inherited a very strong foundation and culture.

4. He has assembled an outstanding staff, partly by retaining the best guys, partly through great additions.

Reactions: VolNash17
Urban Meyer was a fantastic coach.... Saban is at the top of the list though, but Day will be as good, if not better than Meyer.

1. Proven track record with getting QB's to the next level

2. Very agreeable personality that recruits and parents like.

3. He inherited a very strong foundation and culture.

4. He has assembled an outstanding staff, partly by retaining the best guys, partly through great additions.
Day is not Meyer and he never will be. Meyer is a top five coach all time.

I’ll never include a coach or player in my top tier that coached before the integration of the black athlete in a sport because that was not a true era of inclusion of the best of the best. I know this won’t sit well with some but that’s just my criteria.
Does that make them any less of a coach? Would they not have even better records using your criteria?

Does that make them any less of a coach? Would they not have even better records using your criteria?

Not necessarily because others could hv been better and their records could've been worse than what we see. On the flip side it could be the way you see it too but who knows. To me that era of football is just kinda grossly overrated.

Then Big John Merritt and Jake Gaither need to be included.
They could have coached anywhere and been successful.

Reactions: de1conley
Is this a serious question?
Go back and read the previous conversations, and you'll know if it's serious or not. The person I was talking to originally stated that Meyer wasn't as good as General and Bear (I do not agree with this sentiment); yet, he stated that Saban was the best. I was asking what made Saban better than General and Bear, and not Meyer. Imo, Neyland is in a class all to his own, he's not the greatest, he's not top 5, he's not top 20 or 100...he just is. If anyone ever asks me, who's the GOAT, I say Neyland because he's Neyland, and just because...not to mention, he has a strong claim.

However, without my heart, and going by logic, what my own eyes have seen, the way sports/football has changed, and just because it's a fact: Nick Saban is the greatest college football coach to ever live, and thats just the truth. As much a it pains me to say and believe it, it just is. But, as much as it sickens me to say that, it sickens me just as much to say and believe that Meyer is second on that list. Can't deny what that man has done in college football, no matter how much I would like to. Saban is GOAT, but Meyer is up there with him, imo...a close second, I go as far as saying. Meyer was one of the foremost of revolutionizing the game into the 21st Century, for good or bad...the modern offense, and Meyer was doing it at Bowling Green. Not to mention, the record itself speaks for itself, as do the championships...Meyer has won 85% of his games, over 17 seasons...NO ONE touches that.

Point being, what makes Saban better than the old timers, and not Meyer?

Last edited:
He's 4th at best: Saban, General, Bear.
You really cannot compare coaches across different eras. Different landscape, different everything really. I would say Bear and General are the best of their era, though others would argue Switzer, Hayes, Schembechler, and others. Meyer and Saban are head and shoulders above everyone else in the last thirty years.

I will add that Day may prove to be as good, but he still has a long way to go to prove he is on the same level as Meyer and Saban. He is off to a great start, though.
No disrespect to you, but can we stop talking about power 5 head coaches, other than our own? Most statements posted above are mainly accurate, there's nothing we can do about it, though. We just have to try to get better, on a daily basis, and hopefully that translates to W's on Saturdays.

I'm pretty sure we all know saving is the best we have seen in the past 50 + years, maybe ever. I just want to talk UT football and to hell with all these other coaches and colleges! I'm sure recruits get on this sight and it's not helping matters when we're conceding the best coach ever award to Nick Saban or Ryan day (2 coaches that are still coaching and 1 in our own conference). Go Vols!!!

Last edited:
Not necessarily because others could hv been better and their records could've been worse than what we see. On the flip side it could be the way you see it too but who knows. To me that era of football is just kinda grossly overrated.
I don't see it as grossly overrated. It was simply a different era, an era which, individually, had great players and coaches also. Could many of those players and coaches perform well in todays game with todays training methods and schemes? I definitely think they could have. That said, trying to compare those eras to each other, as a whole, is impossible and doesn't do justice to either.

Last edited:
The guy is 24-2 so far and has not lost a regular season game yet..... Why wouldn't he be.?? Only time of course will tell but he's got the whole package at his discretion and I really, really like his chances.
He inherited it from Urban who was 83-9 at OSU. It was built for him to succeed. Big ten is down right now too. Do you think Bama would have beat OSU as bad if Urban was coaching? I guarantee that game is much closer with Urban.

No disrespect to you, but can we stop talking about power 5 head coaches, other than our own? Most statements posted above are mainly accurate, there's nothing we can do about it, though. We just have to try to get better, on a daily basis, and hopefully that translates to W's on Saturdays.

I'm pretty sure we all know saving is the best we have seen in the past 50 + years, maybe ever. I just want to talk UT football and to hell with all these other coaches and colleges! I'm sure recruits get on this sight and it's not helping matters when we're conceding the best coach ever award to Nick Saban or Ryan day (2 coaches that are still coaching and 1 in our own conference). Go Vols!!!
I mean, I was just joining the conversation. I get your point, but we pretty much talk about lots of stuff.

I don't see it as grossly overrated. It was simply a different era, an era which, individually, had great players and coaches also. Could many of those players and coaches perform well in todays game with todays training methods and schemes? I definitely think they could have. That said, trying to compare those eras to each other, as a whole, is impossible and doesn't do justice to either.

I can agree with what you said with the exception of those guys in the all white era translating ro today's era. Many of them were good on loaded teams with the legendary coaches but were not nearly athletic enough or "Today's Fast" which would omit them immediately.

VN Store

Back