China Thread

China is manipulating the trade game in many ways. There's been a huge imbalance of trade, and China (or their shipping companies) have been refusing US goods - they want empty containers back to ship their stuff here - no loading and unloading time for US goods.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/26/shi...l-exports-sent-empty-containers-to-china.html
I think we should fill the returning containers with Hollywood Actors and NBA players. They would be more at home there anyway

At one time the answer would probably have been yes; I don't think so now because of the time factor. We, and particularly investors, are currently all about immediacy - we want it all and we want it NOW. If you get into regulatory and siting issues, there's probably no assurance that the newer plants would do much better than licensing for older plants. Look at roads and the sudden decision that roads are racist - just another NIMBY spin with a woke flavor. So you are looking at investing millions at least for something that likely wouldn't operate for a decade or close and the possibility that "concerned citizens" might shut it down before it ever nears a fiscal break even point. That's just the more rational look at the investment. The irrational view would be strictly quick financial returns like globalism - sell your soul and your future for a quick buck today and tomorrow somebody owns you.

I just don't see the business and investment communities doing anything today without promise short term profits.
That's a bummer. Because if you can reduce the waste footprint, it beats the alternatives.

Reactions: AM64
Thank goodness we're focused on CRT teaching in schools instead of the STEM courses and taking down statues of our history, yea USA.

Across the nation how many school systems are actually focusing on teaching CRT at all or at the expense of STEM in their K-12 programs?

Across the nation how many school systems are actually focusing on teaching CRT at all or at the expense of STEM in their K-12 programs?

Shhhhh. A lower percentage of schools than the percentage of people dying from Covid.

Death is less dangerous than critical thinking.

I guarantee you that it is a front burner ISSUE in everyone's mind in any school district right now.

I know several teachers, administrators, and school board members, and I guarantee you that they have other things to worry about than the boogeyman you've been told is taking over schools across the country.

Reactions: AshG
I know several teachers, administrators, and school board members, and I guarantee you that they have other things to worry about than the boogeyman you've been told is taking over schools across the country.
I'm sure they do. And I will preface this by saying I am not a parent. But given the 24/7 news cycle and the fact that the networks talk about this... well... 24/7... I can guarantee you that it is a front burner issue for a lot of parents out there. You can call it a boogyman all you want but that doesn't make it untrue.

I'm sure they do. And I will preface this by saying I am not a parent. But given the 24/7 news cycle and the fact that the networks talk about this... well... 24/7... I can guarantee you that it is a front burner issue for a lot of parents out there. You can call it a boogyman all you want but that doesn't make it untrue.

That's what makes it a boogeyman. It's an issue being overblown by talking heads to get people worked up. I doubt I'm going to see any any empirical data from volstrom that backs up the assumption that CRT is being widely implemented or taking away from STEM. If the majority of school systems are thinking about this, they're just thinking about how to keep from inadvertently winding up on fox news, OAN, or MGT's Twitter account.

Just 25 'mega-cities' produce 52 per cent of the world's urban greenhouse gas emissions — and 23 of them are in China

Just over half of the world's urban greenhouse gas emissions come from just 25 mega-cities — 23 of which are located in China — a study has reported.

In comparison, the UK, for example, has pledged to reduced its emissions by 68 per cent come 2030 and reach a carbon-neutral footing by 2050.

And, based on the findings of the new study, China in particular will need to step up its switch from coal to renewables if it is to meet President Xi's goals in this area.

At present, China is running a whopping 1,058 coal-fired power plants — equal to more than half of the world's entire capacity.

Climate change: Just 25 mega-cities emit 52 per cent of the world's urban greenhouse gases | Daily Mail Online
i
noscript>

That's what makes it a boogeyman. It's an issue being overblown by talking heads to get people worked up. I doubt I'm going to see any any empirical data from volstrom that backs up the assumption that CRT is being widely implemented or taking away from STEM. If the majority of school systems are thinking about this, they're just thinking about how to keep from inadvertently winding up on fox news, OAN, or MGT's Twitter account.

Remember all the news stories about covid run rampant. Mass graves, surge facilities, activated military hospital ships, not enough ventilators, not enough medical staff or facilities, not enough morgue space ... we're all gonna die. And then all the draconian policies that started becoming the norm. Are you really sure that the talking heads are nothing to really be concerned about? They seem to inspire panic and illogical thinking quite well.

Reactions: allvol123
Remember all the news stories about covid run rampant. Mass graves, surge facilities, activated military hospital ships, not enough ventilators, not enough medical staff or facilities, not enough morgue space ... we're all gonna die. And then all the draconian policies that started becoming the norm. Are you really sure that the talking heads are nothing to really be concerned about? They seem to inspire panic and illogical thinking quite well.

You remember those swimming pool scenses in China last fall. Thousands of people without a care in the world. Always struck me as odd.

Reactions: davethevol
Just 25 'mega-cities' produce 52 per cent of the world's urban greenhouse gas emissions — and 23 of them are in China

Just over half of the world's urban greenhouse gas emissions come from just 25 mega-cities — 23 of which are located in China — a study has reported.

In comparison, the UK, for example, has pledged to reduced its emissions by 68 per cent come 2030 and reach a carbon-neutral footing by 2050.

And, based on the findings of the new study, China in particular will need to step up its switch from coal to renewables if it is to meet President Xi's goals in this area.

At present, China is running a whopping 1,058 coal-fired power plants — equal to more than half of the world's entire capacity.

Climate change: Just 25 mega-cities emit 52 per cent of the world's urban greenhouse gases | Daily Mail Online
i
noscript>

Reminds me of back in the bad old days before retirement and the genius administrative moves. I always loved the cost cutting stuff - "we're cutting travel by 10%". Of course, travel at the corporate level was for fun and games - not because someone actually had work to do at other facilities. However, in the scheme of things the financial wizards cut the travel budget by 10% when travel was a whopping 1% of the entire budget.

You remember those swimming pool scenses in China last fall. Thousands of people without a care in the world. Always struck me as odd.

Actually, I don't, but I remember the choreographed earth mover ballet, and how the Chinese were building a huge hospital in ten days.

Actually, I don't, but I remember the choreographed earth mover ballet, and how the Chinese were building a huge hospital in ten days.

Always thought that BS as well. You cannot build a hospital in 10 days. A building yes. but plumbing for medical gases, vacuum, clean and sterile, boilers, etc.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back