Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

The numbers of scammers are off the charts. Also people truly wanting help is disproved when you looked at all the tokens laying around the downtown Nashville area when given to them because they didn’t want a helping hand, they want a handout. This didn’t become the problem it was until the Supreme Court sent them out of Mental Health facilities to fend for themselves.
I dont know about SCOTUS. I surely don't pretend to be a practitioner, ergo dont know about forcing people onto the streets. I do believe in facts, which, don't appear to be presented.

People living on streets is nothing new. We all recall accounts of Jesus helping Mary Magdelene and others such as leppers.

Scammers are what they are. Their days will come. They have no bearing on us. Just dont give them money. They're predators. That isnt a Miami thing, every large city has that.

Our company is about to pay $20/hr starting pay ultimately for a grade of employee I wouldn’t have paid $12/hr two years ago. Our vendors, customers, and competitors are all doing the same. It’s an arms race right now for employees. Prices on raw materials are increasing on average 40%. We’re just seeing the tip of the iceberg on this inflation. I am VERY concerned.
I issued a PO 5 months ago for a product we use. It had a 25 month lead time. They accepted the PO at the price they'd quoted me. I got a notice that they're adding a 39% surcharge on all orders. I asked them about it and said we had agreed on a price, and asked what my recourse was. They said I could cancel. 😔

I have a friend who’s a contractor in downtown Nashville who has tried to hire homeless people (preferentially) as laborers to give them that helping hand and in almost 100% of the time they would work for 1 day and never show up again.
I mean, there's probably a reason that theyre homeless.

I dont know about SCOTUS. I surely don't pretend to be a practitioner, ergo dont know about forcing people onto the streets. I do believe in facts, which, don't appear to be presented.

People living on streets is nothing new. We all recall accounts of Jesus helping Mary Magdelene and others such as leppers.

Scammers are what they are. Their days will come. They have no bearing on us. Just dont give them money. They're predators. That isnt a Miami thing, every large city has that.
For the record. I’m the kind of guy that gives freely

This is hilarious!!
Why hilarious? I’m in Michigan now and on every street corner there is someone pan handling. These aren’t older disabled people. They are people that do not want to work and are supplementing government benefits by panhandling.

The numbers of scammers are off the charts. Also people truly wanting help is disproved when you looked at all the tokens laying around the downtown Nashville area when given to them because they didn’t want a helping hand, they want a handout. This didn’t become the problem it was until the Supreme Court sent them out of Mental Health facilities to fend for themselves.
I stopped and gave a guy a couple of bucks at an interstate off ramp. Came back a few hours later to stop at a Wendy's for a burger for lunch. The guy was in front of me. He pulled out a stack of cash that had to be close to $1000 or more.

Why hilarious? I’m in Michigan now and on every street corner there is someone pan handling. These aren’t older disabled people. They are people that do not want to work and are supplementing government benefits by panhandling.

Calm down sir, i’m saying your delivery was hilarious. It was a 🤣

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I stopped and gave a guy a couple of bucks at an interstate off ramp. Came back a few hours later to stop at a Wendy's for a burger for lunch. The guy was in front of me. He pulled out a stack of cash that had to be close to $1000 or more.
Yes ive seen it in Asheville and Knoxville. And even in Kingsport Tn.

Reactions: DarthVol1
Stossell did a bunch of exposes on this about a decade back. Dudes are raking in the 💵

I guy approached me at a restaurant a couple of years ago. Said he was hungry. I gave him a twenty. He walked across the street to a gas station and purchase cigarettes and came right back over begging others for money. I wish I'd offered to buy him a meal. It's hard to distinguish the scammers from the ones that really need it.

I guy approached me at a restaurant a couple of years ago. Said he was hungry. I gave him a twenty. He walked across the street to a gas station and purchase cigarettes and came right back over begging others for money. I wish I'd offered to buy him a meal. It's hard to distinguish the scammers from the ones that really need it.
Certain churches have really awesome programs to help folks down and out. First, you have to bring in your books, and they help determine real needs. Things that aren’t needs get cut. You don’t bring books, no help. Next, you have to to volunteer time to help their food gathering programs for the needy. No free lunch. Finally, there is a time exponent to their financial help. Nothing is forever.

The first thing I would do is eliminate Federal welfare programs, all programs should be local based. No way central planners can differentiate from those that are truly in need from scammers 1000 miles away.

Same here. My company has 20 US plants. We are 600 people short, are paying a premium to work, and loosening our normal requirements. That is why I can’t give money to the healthy guys on the street panhandling. If anyone wants a job in this climate, they are easily obtained.
Covid is a big reason people dont wamt to work.

I have seen a marked dropoff in smb sector since 2018. covid just wiped em out.

Certain churches have really awesome programs to help folks down and out. First, you have to bring in your books, and they help determine real needs. Things that aren’t needs get cut. You don’t bring books, no help. Next, you have to to volunteer time to help their food gathering programs for the needy. No free lunch. Finally, there is a time exponent to their financial help. Nothing is forever.

The first thing I would do is eliminate Federal welfare programs, all programs should be local based. No way central planners can differentiate from those that are truly in need from scammers 1000 miles away.
My church has a food pantry and you should see the cars people.drive in to get their groceries.

I issued a PO 5 months ago for a product we use. It had a 25 month lead time. They accepted the PO at the price they'd quoted me. I got a notice that they're adding a 39% surcharge on all orders. I asked them about it and said we had agreed on a price, and asked what my recourse was. They said I could cancel. 😔

We are getting hit with close to $150k a month in PPV. Mostly from steel costs going through the roof. When we started the year, the futures markets had steel hitting its peak around May or June and then easing back to normal. Now the peak is sitting at around the September/October time frame and seems to push a little farther out every single week. It is really bad.

Also, we left about $1.5M in product on the floor at the end of May that was about 95% complete but couldn't be shipped. All because of various pieces and parts that probably didn't total 1% of the total bill of material but were delayed because our suppliers don't have the employees to make what we need. We have been mostly fortunate that our workforce has been fairly steady with only minimal turnover. It is a crazy time.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
We are getting hit with close to $150k a month in PPV. Mostly from steel costs going through the roof. When we started the year, the futures markets had steel hitting its peak around May or June and then easing back to normal. Now the peak is sitting at around the September/October time frame and seems to push a little farther out every single week. It is really bad.

Also, we left about $1.5M in product on the floor at the end of May that was about 95% complete but couldn't be shipped. All because of various pieces and parts that probably didn't total 1% of the total bill of material but were delayed because our suppliers don't have the employees to make what we need. We have been mostly fortunate that our workforce has been fairly steady with only minimal turnover. It is a crazy time.
Of got two of my widgets sitting on the floor missing one item that is crucial for delivery that I've had on order since Mid December. I can fit a max of 3 widgets in my building. I've got two widgets to build in backlog.

I don't give money to folks begging. I will donate to missions or soup kitchens because then it is more likely that the money will go to food or clothing. The Nashville Rescue Mission does good work in the Nashville area and helps get at the root cause of a person's homelessness and not just surface issues. They will give you a meal and a bed if that is what you want, but if a person really wants help then they have a great program to get them back into productive society.

Murfreesboro's homeless population has grown exponentially over the last several years. You want to help folks, but so many of them are young healthy (looking) people. Don't know if it is drugs or what but I got very difficult to even go to the library because they all just hang out in there all day and sleep.

Of got two of my widgets sitting on the floor missing one item that is crucial for delivery that I've had on order since Mid December. I can fit a max of 3 widgets in my building. I've got two widgets to build in backlog.

We have not had issues with orders either. Starting last July our orders have been great. We normally keep about $2M in total backlog for all of our products. It was hovering at around $8M of many months. We have been able to whittle it down to around $6M now but needless to say, our On Time Delivery is in the toilet.

Murfreesboro's homeless population has grown exponentially over the last several years. You want to help folks, but so many of them are young healthy (looking) people. Don't know if it is drugs or what but I got very difficult to even go to the library because they all just hang out in there all day and sleep.
Seeing same thing. It’s sad.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Covid is a big reason people dont wamt to work.

I have seen a marked dropoff in smb sector since 2018. covid just wiped em out.
I’ve been seeing it for at least a decade, getting worse every year. One instance I saw made it worse was years ago when the government made it to where you could stay on parents insurance until 26. Younger folks almost immediately lost the incentive to get a good job with benefits and work well to keep that security.

VN Store

Back