Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I don't give money to folks begging. I will donate to missions or soup kitchens because then it is more likely that the money will go to food or clothing. The Nashville Rescue Mission does good work in the Nashville area and helps get at the root cause of a person's homelessness and not just surface issues. They will give you a meal and a bed if that is what you want, but if a person really wants help then they have a great program to get them back into productive society.
The rescue mission were the givers of the tokens I spoke of earlier. They do good work.

We are getting hit with close to $150k a month in PPV. Mostly from steel costs going through the roof. When we started the year, the futures markets had steel hitting its peak around May or June and then easing back to normal. Now the peak is sitting at around the September/October time frame and seems to push a little farther out every single week. It is really bad.

Also, we left about $1.5M in product on the floor at the end of May that was about 95% complete but couldn't be shipped. All because of various pieces and parts that probably didn't total 1% of the total bill of material but were delayed because our suppliers don't have the employees to make what we need. We have been mostly fortunate that our workforce has been fairly steady with only minimal turnover. It is a crazy time.
Also doesn’t help we are 240K drivers short nationwide either for moving said product.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Murfreesboro's homeless population has grown exponentially over the last several years. You want to help folks, but so many of them are young healthy (looking) people. Don't know if it is drugs or what but I got very difficult to even go to the library because they all just hang out in there all day and sleep.
Kingsport has same issue, granted smaller population.

So pissed off today. Just bought a house 2 weeks ago. One thing I was excited about was the Kenmore Elite commercial fridge and freezer....separate units that are 3 feet wide each. Noticed that meat was going bad quickly so got a temp gauge. Even with the fridge on the coldest setting it's only getting down to 47-48 degrees...freezer is fine.

Service call, diagnostic and potential repair labor and parts could run between $500-$1000. So depressing after all I've spent on the home purchase, moving, paint, washer/dryer and other random stuff.

I'd much prefer to save this money and plan for new kitchen counters and other improvements....ugghhh.
That's ridiculous!

Reactions: gainesvol82
many small business owners have closed up shop or moved out of downtown, because of it. including that Taqueria, which moved away of course to Bloomindayull
There was a comic store with a stoop that I used to when I lived there. No idea if it's still there because there's a few homeless people sleeping on the stoop when I pass it

The numbers of scammers are off the charts. Also people truly wanting help is disproved when you looked at all the tokens laying around the downtown Nashville area when given to them because they didn’t want a helping hand, they want a handout. This didn’t become the problem it was until the Supreme Court sent them out of Mental Health facilities to fend for themselves.
100%
It was an early Reagan policy. 70% + of homeless have mental and emotional conditions that would have resulted in them being institutionalized prior to the 80s. Out of those, the vast majority also have drug/alcohol addictions as a form of self-medication. It makes helping the homeless community extremely difficult.
The Nashville Rescue Mission foe s agreat job with Christian-based addiction counseling and access to other programs that provide jobs, housing, etc.

On an unrelated note, the Preds just traded asst captain Ryan Ellis for a young unproven forward. Looks like they are going to blow the roster up and dump salary for a rebuild.

Murfreesboro's homeless population has grown exponentially over the last several years. You want to help folks, but so many of them are young healthy (looking) people. Don't know if it is drugs or what but I got very difficult to even go to the library because they all just hang out in there all day and sleep.
...and don't forget take a bath in the restroom. It is becoming a big problem for libraries.

Certain churches have really awesome programs to help folks down and out. First, you have to bring in your books, and they help determine real needs. Things that aren’t needs get cut. You don’t bring books, no help. Next, you have to to volunteer time to help their food gathering programs for the needy. No free lunch. Finally, there is a time exponent to their financial help. Nothing is forever.

The first thing I would do is eliminate Federal welfare programs, all programs should be local based. No way central planners can differentiate from those that are truly in need from scammers 1000 miles away.
I love that idea!

Reactions: Glitch
😂 Actually it is the patrons complaining. Or like Glitch, they are either cutting back on time spent at the library or just not going.

We will browse the titles on the website and either put holds on them or id exactly where they are in the library so we spend less time there.

We will browse the titles on the website and either put holds on them or id exactly where they are in the library so we spend less time there.
pre covid was a once to two time a month librarier with my girls. they are all time asking when we can go back? not bc of homeless just havent gotten around to it

pre covid was a once to two time a month librarier with my girls. they are all time asking when we can go back? not bc of homeless just havent gotten around to it

If you can place books on hold, that is a great way to do it. The librarians pull your books and you just go in a pjck them up.

I wonder if I could start UberBooks for library delivers?

If you can place books on hold, that is a great way to do it. The librarians pull your books and you just go in a pjck them up.

Lot of public libraries have online books as well. Sadly I think the days of the library are numbered.

I hope Libby is OK with that.
mr-17UB273K1RJd5zv052Z_amo5F6lMK19C9o-pjRKol51-0oHlDM48BjrAGadezPGDwbH5DwpqSUdMuUvnc07yo8J2MTjdbCvSCINc5m6mKU0W0Inde1HYKA4NUIQ8=s0-d

Reactions: InVOLuntary
This makes me so incredibly sad even though I completely understand! Fortunately we don't have a homeless problem. It is more of 20 year olds that don't work, live with mama, and come in to stay on the computer all day. Some patrons avoid them as much as possible.

Last edited:

Most all libraries are doing curbside pickup.

This makes me so incredibly sad even though I completely understand! Fortunately we don't have a homeless problem. It is more of 20 year olds that don't work, live with mama and come, in to stay on the computer all day. Some patrons avoid them as much as possible.
That or Grandparents raising grandchildren which I believe is one of the biggest epidemics of today

VN Store

Back