Votes: 10 3.4%
  • Robert Meachum

Votes: 16 5.5%
  • Peerless Price

Votes: 80 27.3%
  • Larry Seivers

Votes: 16 5.5%

• Total voters
Anthony Miller was possibly the most talented WR ever. Unfortunately just a 2-year JUCO that missed half of his senior season with an injury. Great combination of hands and speed. And tough as nails. Like so many others he only had average-at-best QBs to hum the tater in his direction.

I’ll add Buddy Cruze for nostalgia. And Richmond Flowers.
Anthony Miller was one dimensional.

Returned kick offs, caught passes, and averaged over 5 yards per carry. Was he supposed to also punt, kick field goals, throw passes, and play defense to meet your criteria as the best wide receiver?
As a WR, he was strictly an outside the numbers guy. Once he left SD he was exposed. Neither Elway nor Aikman thought very highly of him

Denarius Moore was very serviceable with Bray. On the flip side of that…Gerald Jones was a straight up backstabbing traitor whose few catches should be wiped from the school records.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
As a WR, he was strictly an outside the numbers guy. Once he left SD he was exposed. Neither Elway nor Aikman thought very highly of him

IDK man. In '94 & and '95 with Denver he finished 15th & 16th in yards. In '95 only Chris Carter, Jerry Rice and our own Carl Pickens had more TDs and that's with missing two games due to injury.

There was a dropoff in '96 but he never really was even in it with Dallas as he missed all of camp and most of the preseason after knee surgery and retired altogether after.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
voted for Joey Kent. feel like Meachem could have easily been the greatest if he'd been on the field more. if there was an old timers' bracket for ends, I would pick Bowden Wyatt.

one who is missing from the list is Stanley Morgan and he would probably be #1 if you looked at UTK career plus pro career.

Could be Jalin Hyatt by the time it's said and done. I get excited watching his freshman highlights, then realize much of that was done with JG at QB and a terrible offensive game plan. Hyatt could have a huge year in 2021.
I like his potential and what I saw last year from him. I think he will have a big season this year with this new offense.

Carl Pickens was the most gifted pure WR athlete to play at Tennessee.
Peerless was the most clutch WR in my lifetime…with arguably QB converted to WR Jauan Jennings a close second.
Why?
He always played like a grown ass man amongst boys. He poured heart/soul into every play. When we needed a TD or 1st down he’d be the most physical player on the field dragging or our leaping everyone on his way. It is a damn shame he had to be handicapped by lame QB play most of his career. He’d be higher on Tennessee’s record charts if so.
I’m 45 mind you…went to UT from ‘94-‘99 been going to games since I was around 5yrs old. I’ve seen most the great ones live. JJ is a different animal…he is built different…what he lacked naturally at the position he replaced with sheer determination and power. Most physical looking to hit you first WR to punish DBS/LBS I’ve ever watched.
Case and point right below. He always wanted it more than those around him. I stand by this statement.

View attachment 378599
If I had to chose one Pickens but those are my starting 3 at wr. Imagine if Jennings had a qb like Peyton, Andy Kelly, or Tee that Pickens and Price had. If Jennings had a qb who would hit him in stride then there would have been a ton more corners and safeties run over.

I think if Cedric Wilson had Peyton as his qb for his last years he would be in the mix.

Really enjoyed reading some of the posts in this thread. Pickens was my choice...but...

Who else here was in ATL to watch "white lightning " Zack Rogers absolutely HUMILIATE the all American corner named Amerson from NC State?? Zack abused that kid and cost him several million when his draft stock plummeted... that was THE prettiest over the shoulder catch i have ever seen from college OR pro ball....this clip does not do it justice at all....

zack was said to be the fastest guy we had, he never broke stride an inch, and it was a beautifully thrown rainbow that would have been incredibly hard to see...both of my younger brothers went to NCSU. My Dad, My Son and i were in orange, those 2 in red....we HOWLED even though i jumped up and down and my cellphone cracked on that Ga Dome concrete floor . I didnt care a BIT

VN Store

Back