PFF Predicts Hooker as the Starter?

Pro Football Focus reveals pick, ranking for Tennessee's starting QB

I just don't see it. To me, he seemed the least impressive in the spring game. I know it was just a scrimmage, but still...
I don't think he's going to win the starting job, but the spring game eliminated his greatest asset. He's our most dangerous QB as a runner. He can not only extend plays and get first downs with his legs, but is also a threat to take it the distance from nearly anywhere. A QB capable of regularly breaking 30+ yard runs is a nightmare for defenses. In this offense, that doesn't matter as much if he isn't a threat to complete the deep ball though.

Going to the actual source (article published by Pro Football Focus, of which the OP's link is a derivative article by Patrick Brown), here's what they said:

PFF said:
29. TENNESSEE: HENDON HOOKER
Tennessee's roster was gutted via the transfer portal but has some potential with the combination of new head coach Josh Heupel and Virginia Tech transfer Hendon Hooker. The dual-threat quarterback enjoyed plenty of success with the Hokies, aided by play-action passes and his impact in the rushing game.

Hooker’s passing grade on play-action dropbacks was nearly 30 grading points higher than it was on straight dropbacks (85.9 versus 57.0) in 2020, and his completion rate differential led all FBS quarterbacks (+13.5%). Heupel led a UCF offense that dialed up play action at a top-10 rate in 2020 (45%), with many of the resulting passes targeting go-routes down the sideline. Hooker won't consistently hit those nine routes as often as Heupel’s last quarterback, Dillon Gabriel, but that doesn’t mean he can’t still be a good quarterback for the Volunteers.
Nothing in there indicates that the folks at PFF gauged Hooker against the other QBs on the roster. So no way of knowing if they know anything. Either by analysis, or by having an inside source on the coaching staff.

And Patrick Brown, the fella who wrote the derivative article that got linked first, he didn't add any analysis or hints of inside sources, either.

Without any of that, their guess of Hooker is roughly as well-founded as yours or mine, I'd say.

Last edited:
Spring game performance means nothing regarding this fall.

In this offense, as long as a QB can physically make the throws accurately, the starter will be whoever can make the correct reads the quickest, and make the right adjustments at the LOS with minimal snap delay.

In other words, the 4th string QB in July can easily become the starter in August through demonstrated proficiency once practice begins.

Not sure the basis for PFF's prediction, but if someone has observed that he's the most accurate of the QBs in voluntary practices, and also knows he's putting in the most time in the video room, and heard that he's showing cognitive mastery over details in discussions with one of the offensive coaches... well, may be.

So that's 1 vote for Hooker - PFF
1 for Milton - Phil Steele
1 for Bailey - VN

Who else has an opinion?

My least favorite part of the offseason is the onslaught of predictions, especially when I'm proven to be wrong.
Given that nobody is agreeing on who it's going to be, if we get a strong QB performance this year it will be a surprise.

I don't think he's going to win the starting job, but the spring game eliminated his greatest asset. He's our most dangerous QB as a runner. He can not only extend plays and get first downs with his legs, but is also a threat to take it the distance from nearly anywhere. A QB capable of regularly breaking 30+ yard runs is a nightmare for defenses. In this offense, that doesn't matter as much if he isn't a threat to complete the deep ball though.
Tee Martin/ Josh Dobbs 2.0

No.
He's just not a good enough QB.

TBD on Milton.

It's Maurer or Bailey imo.

May they all lay it on the line this fall camp❤

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We're not in good shape if Milton starts. Watched a few minutes of his play against Minnesota. Never, and I mean never, did he take his eyes off his primary target. No sign of progression.

Unless this staff teaches it or the light comes on I'm not sure he gets the job. Arm strength isn't winning QB1.

VN Store

Back