To Protect and to Serve II

I just disagree that if a cop jumps out in front of a car and the car doesn’t stop, that this gives him the right to kill the driver. Imo is is not attempted murder and there is no justification for killing the driver. I know you won’t agree and that’s ok.
He was out of the car BEFORE she aimed it at him. And the law would disagree with you, go read up on it and educate yourself and understand the elements of attempting to run someone down with a vehicle. The girl was clearly attempting to run him over, it's not even debatable, he was justified in shooting to end the threat.
Violent felons shouldn't be given excuses to why it's ok to attempt to kill other people

Well, as long as it is to save the children...
If your plate was missing would you run?

Nope.

And neither would any other reasonable person. Everyone knows you have to have a plate to be on the streets. Enforcement of that law isn’t unreasonable. It escalated to a deadly situation because of the person who wound up dead.

3 weeks ago a 2 girls were rescued from a human trafficking situation in Florida. The reason they were rescued…..the car didn’t have a tag and a state trooper tried to pull them over…..
if you’re not doing anything wrong beyond not having a tag then pull the hell over and take the ticket. Running is an escalation and just plain stupid.
Lets just have roadbloacks and checkpoints all over the place? Imagine how many children we could save...

If your plate was missing would you run?

Nope.

And neither would any other reasonable person. Everyone knows you have to have a plate to be on the streets. Enforcement of that law isn’t unreasonable. It escalated to a deadly situation because of the person who wound up dead.
Two people acted irresponsibly. You asked if they would run if they had a missing plate.

Equally, the question needs to be asked of cops if it is wise to engage in a chase over someone with no plates?

Two people acted irresponsibly. You asked if they would run if they had a missing plate.

Equally, the question needs to be asked of cops if it is wise to engage in a chase over someone with no plates?
So if an officer is walking down the street, and sees a homeless guy laying on the sidewalk blocking it. And attempts to go talk to him to get him to move or to identify him, and the guy pulls out a knife and tries to stab the officer, is it the officer's fault?

This is the same type of logic here.

Now me PERSONALLY, i would've terminated the pursuit if all I had was traffic charges, however, trying to justify a person attempting to kill an officer because "well the initial stop was minor" is rather weak

So if an officer is walking down the street, and sees a homeless guy laying on the sidewalk blocking it. And attempts to go talk to him to get him to move or to identify him, and the guy pulls out a knife and tries to stab the officer, is it the officer's fault?

This is the same type of logic here.

Now me PERSONALLY, i would've terminated the pursuit if all I had was traffic charges, however, trying to justify a person attempting to kill an officer because "well the initial stop was minor" is rather weak
Your analogy is weak. That driver was minding her own business not bothering anyone. Then this officer took it upon himself to engage in a dangerous chase.

Meanwhile, a homeless man blocking a sidewalk and attacking an officer is far different because the homeless person was obstructing and initiated the attack on the cop. This woman driver was neither obstructing nor initiating an attack.

I mean, are cops that board that they would rather chase down license plate violators and tinted windows than killers and robbers?

Your analogy is weak. That driver was minding her own business not bothering anyone. Then this officer took it upon himself to engage in a dangerous chase.

Meanwhile, a homeless man blocking a sidewalk and attacking an officer is far different because the homeless person was obstructing and initiated the attack on the cop. This woman driver was neither obstructing nor initiating an attack.

I mean, are cops that board that they would rather chase down license plate violators and tinted windows than killers and robbers?

Driving to Atlanta tomorrow, about a 50/50 chance I get grifted for my window tint by the crooked GA tax collector patrol. Good times.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol

It is very common for stolen cars not to have license plates, so this isn't simply some officer who was "bored". They attempted to identify the vehicle and driver which is a lawful activity and the girl sped away, which led to stronger suspicion of something else altogether. Now i would've terminated the pursuit after the speeds of 100mph if that was true, however the girl tried to kill the officer. That can not be disputed, no matter how much you or others try to minimize it.

It could be. If someone runs because of something as simple as no plate then there’s probable cause to believe there is.
Most of the time I agree with you on police overreacting and overreach but this isn’t one of them.

Once again this highlights the need for an independent investigator not associated with that county.

Edit: if you run over something as simple as a missing or out of date plate then you potentially put me…and any other innocent driver on the road….in danger. Basically **** you

Or….just stop people who don’t have a plate or a stolen tag.
You don’t have to drive. If you don’t want to comply with the laws of owning a car then take the bus
Again, was this worthy of a high speed chase? If that's the case, we can justify a high speed chase for jaywalking.

No license plate
Is that illegal?
Is that a common sign for more serious crimes such as auto thefts?
Is it a common indicator that if someone flees in such a car, that more criminal activity may be apparent?

Should officers NEVER enforce any minor laws and just let people do what they want with no consequences?

It could be. If someone runs because of something as simple as no plate then there’s probable cause to believe there is.
Most of the time I agree with you on police overreacting and overreach but this isn’t one of them.

Once again this highlights the need for an independent investigator not associated with that county.

Edit: if you run over something as simple as a missing or out of date plate then you potentially put me…and any other innocent driver on the road….in danger. Basically **** you
I'm not justifying the actions of that driver. This is about having these cops minimize the need for treating far too many traffic infractions like an action movie.

I'm not justifying the actions of that driver. This is about having these cops minimize the need for treating far too many traffic infractions like an action movie.
So again, in your opinion should police never pursue someone ever for a misdemeanor if they run or drive off?

VN Store

Back