John Brice - Rick Barnes Extended, $5.9 Million

So excited to now hear/see Twitter idiots say "SIX MILLION DOLLARS" rather than screaming about 5 million dollars now

I don't get the urgency to extend Barnes either, but I'm not privy to the conversations being had behind the scenes. I'm more focused on Vitello. It is going to escalate the salary gripes about Barnes' by our fanbase though, considering the first round exit this year.

I will say, it can easily be spun as a good thing (i.e. committing to the program), and Barnes' is recruiting at a level never seen here before. Money doesn't seem to really be an issue at Tennessee, so it's probably not that big of a deal if true.

Not sure the urgency to extend Barnes, he still had 3 seasons left on the contract he signed in 2019 right? Not opposed to it, just a little surprised at the timing.

I don’t mind the years, that’s standard but a $1M after this season?!?!?! Good lord

Not sure the urgency to extend Barnes, he still had 3 seasons left on the contract he signed in 2019 right? Not opposed to it, just a little surprised at the timing.
You generally want to keep your coach on a 5 yr running deal. It gives prospects an indication that the institution is committed to the coach and vice-versa thru the recruit's career, even though it is usually only surface-level confidence, especially against the coach leaving.

I don't get the urgency to extend Barnes either, but I'm not privy to the conversations being had behind the scenes. I'm more focused on Vitello. It is going to escalate the salary gripes about Barnes' by our fanbase though, considering the first round exit this year.

I will say, it can easily be spun as a good thing (i.e. committing to the program), and Barnes' is recruiting at a level never seen here before. Money doesn't seem to really be an issue at Tennessee, so it's probably not that big of a deal if true.
The Memphis job is about to be open

Possibly, but at that time, you could have argued that Memphis was a better job than Tennessee. That is no longer the case.
No one would say Texas A&M is a better football job than Florida State but Jimbo is in College Station. Why tempt fate? Memphis is jealous of us and I wouldn’t underestimate a desperate program.

No one would say Texas A&M is a better football job than Florida State but Jimbo is in College Station. Why tempt fate? Memphis is jealous of us and I wouldn’t underestimate a desperate program.

Memphis is not paying $6 million for Rick Barnes. They also aren't paying $5 million for Rick Barnes. They probably also would not pay $4 million for him. Penny is making $2.5 million right now. Again, Memphis ain't coming after Rick.

Reactions: Flovol

1) Florida State is currently not a better job because of the lack of facilities and commitment. They also weren’t going to match $70M

2) I cannot think of a more different cultural fit than Barnes and Memphis. And not even considering the history of his feud with Penny.

3) Memphis is not spending $5-6M on a basketball coach.

4) Danny White is smart and I’m sure this wasn’t the reason, but if he is going to start giving out $1M raises based on one mid major opening in late June for a top 5 paid coach already…he’s in over his head.

VN Store

Back