John Brice - Rick Barnes Extended, $5.9 Million

Maybe he could actually produce results for this kind of money, and at least get us to the final 4, if not win it all. Way too many early exits in the first or second round of the tourney for this kind of money.

It doesn’t hurt to be proactive and securing the retention of the guy that has put TN basketball in a place that it has never been before. It eliminates the uncertainty of other schools (UCLA for example) coming after him and potentially creating a bidding war that could cost several more millions of dollars as well as a disruption and distraction. It also creates an incentive for CRB to keep ideas of his retirement on the back burner. It’s a good investment that is based on the current market for established NCAA basketball coaches.

Last edited:
You’re stuck in your line of thinking so not sure why I am bothering, but here goes…

How many P5 programs over the last 4 years of 90+ wins, and 3 NCAAT appearances? Tennessee has the results of a Top 10-15 program, they’re viewed that was nationally as well…the postseason success hasn’t happened from a E8 or better standpoint, but it’s not just about that either.

Well it’s not unimportant either lol. It’s a significant factor.

No one would say Texas A&M is a better football job than Florida State but Jimbo is in College Station. Why tempt fate? Memphis is jealous of us and I wouldn’t underestimate a desperate program.
A&M is at least as good of a job, if not significantly better - especially since they joined the SEC. FSU was really only good because of Bowden. Fisher left in part because of the difference in commitment between the two programs.

Reactions: cncchris33
No one would say Texas A&M is a better football job than Florida State but Jimbo is in College Station. Why tempt fate? Memphis is jealous of us and I wouldn’t underestimate a desperate program.
I would call A&M a better opportunity, especially in light of their move to the SEC. But that move was about money and A&M has infinitely more than FSU.

Barnes isn’t/wasn’t leaving Tennessee for Memphis. There is no reason to. Worse conference, less profile in the state of Tennessee, no recent success. That would be seen as a step down in every sense.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
I like Barnes and am glad to have him as the head coach here, but the money increase doesn't make any sense to me coming off of a disappointing season.

I like Barnes and am glad to have him as the head coach here, but the money increase doesn't make any sense to me coming off of a disappointing season.

If that’s the case, then Cal didn’t deserve 8 million after missing out on the tournament.

I think fans just need to accept that there is more money now in college athletics than at any single point in it's history, and the sport(s) are only going to get richer. Salaries are going to continue to increase, not decrease, as the market adapts. There is no going back, almost every Division 1 program has money now. We can't keep comparing to historical salary trends.

If that’s the case, then Cal didn’t deserve 8 million after missing out on the tournament.

Very different situations. The market dictates how much a coach is worth. If Kentucky had a sense that the NBA was going to offer Cal big money, then giving him a raise may have been necessary to keep him even if it wasn't earned based on the results of this past season.

In Barnes case, though, there doesn't appear to be any program as good as or better than Tennessee coming after him which is why I find the raise puzzling.

Reactions: zjcvols
Nothing official has been announced, so for all we know Barnes is getting an extension, but the salary is incorrect. Who knows. But, this same old debate has been had at least a dozen times on this board, so I'm not sure how much more it really needs to be discussed.

Thank you AD White. There, I said it. I have no problem with this and am glad he did it. Yay Rick Barnes. He's a great coach and he's ours. No more coaching searches for a while.
Yes, this year was disappointing. Move on. Love the recruiting.

Reactions: OneVolNation
There can be a number of factors, but if we give Barnes a pass for the first two years here is the resume

1x co regular season conference title
0 conference tournament titles
1x sweet sixteen
1x 30 win season
3/4 NCAA tourney berths* (I know 2020 but we wouldn’t have made it)

Is that top 10-15 over the last four years…and over the last six? I don’t believe so
So what's an example of a program that you consider top 10-15? I just can't imagine there are that many who have sustained the level of success you're driving at.

I think fans just need to accept that there is more money now in college athletics than at any single point in it's history, and the sport(s) are only going to get richer. Salaries are going to continue to increase, not decrease, as the market adapts. There is no going back, almost every Division 1 program has money now. We can't keep comparing to historical salary trends.

There is a lot of money involved you’re right. But compared to others, here are some names who Barnes is projected to be paid above:

Chris Beard
Tom Izzo
Bill Self
Tony Bennett
Scott Drew

And there are plenty involved. I guess my point is if Barnes is getting another pay raise then he better start producing results

So what's an example of a program that you consider top 10-15? I just can't imagine there are that many who have sustained the level of success you're driving at.

Virgins, Baylor, Texas Tech are three that immediately spring to mind and they aren’t blue bloods. There’s more im sure

Tony Vitello is about to become one of, if not the highest paid coach in college baseball even after going two and done in Omaha, and our fans almost universally agree that it’s deserved, and I agree.

I just don’t understand why Barnes doesn’t get the same benefit of the doubt. The basketball program was the laughingstock of the nation before he got here, after firing two coaches for cause in four years.

So many getting triggered by a marginally higher contract. Any no-name coach would be making north of $3.5 or $4.0 at TN. Barnes is also being paid to build a program that won’t collapse immediately after he retires. Treating Barnes well also enhances the chance that he will remain close to the program as an ambassador after he steps aside. He has a direct connection to several in the NBA right now including one of the best in KD.

He’s also creating a coaching tree. That can pay huge dividends down the road. Look at the mess that Fulmer not having a coaching tree has been over the last 15 years.

Tony Vitello is about to become one of, if not the highest paid coach in college baseball even after going two and done in Omaha, and our fans almost universally agree that it’s deserved, and I agree.

I just don’t understand why Barnes doesn’t get the same benefit of the doubt. The basketball program was the laughingstock of the nation before he got here, after firing two coaches for cause in four years.

Because one is a 42 year old who did something that hasn’t happened in 16 years, has improved every year and made the CWS in his fourth year while the other is a 67 year old who has made one S16 in his last 12 years of coaching

You really don't see the difference between Vitello and Barnes?

How about a 24 year age gap for starters. This is Vitello's first HC job and you're betting he still has room to grow in his profession. Now this could be the peak and we may look foolish for paying him big money in a few years, but I can understand the belief system. You're buying the potential.

After 30 years of Rick Barnes running the same offense, what exactly do you think he is going to improve upon at this stage of his career? He raises the floor of your entire program, recruits well, but often leaves you wanting more when it comes to the tourney. It has been this way for his entire career at multiple programs. He is what he is at this point, and I don't know that deserves 5.9 million a year.

Reactions: patrick and zjcvols

VN Store

Back