Duck Hunters Thread

Just heard REDRUM was just bought by a former congressman and a country music singer.
Whoah. They've been doing a ton of marketing stuff recently trying to create a strong social media presence. Think they bought some more property last year out around Dburg.

I called about it. had 6 blinds in the range of 25k to 35k. know guys that use to lease it for 2500 to 5

I called about it. had 6 blinds in the range of 25k to 35k. know guys that use to lease it for 2500 to 5
I had the pit for 4 years and one of the timber holes. It’s not worth half of what they are asking. The only good hole left down there is the million dollar field.

I've heard the Dodger hole use to be really good. I've actually knocked on Finchers door before asking about some other land of theirs

That bottom has changed in the last 10 years. Million $ field holds all the birds. Lots of spots only kill a fraction of what they used to. But people are still paying top dollar just to have a spot to go.

Last edited:
I've hunted a timber hole just north of hornsbluff a few years ago. they was telling me it use to average over a thousand but was down to 300-400 a year. it was a super slick set up tho. I've called some many people the last few years and the prices are absolutely insane. I tell all my buddies if our pit was in Tennessee it would be triple the price at least

Weather
No till farming
Weather
Northern states funding a lot of wetlands/shoreline projects
Weather
Big money private groups leaving a lot of food and holding large numbers of waterfowl
And lastly weather. 😂

All of these things have created a migration pattern change. Ducks are like programmable robots. If they get reprogrammed it takes a big change to alter their pattern. I pray we get ice age conditions up north sometime soon to shake things up.

Reactions: clarksvol00
I think that they need to do something to move these ducks off refuges once in awhile. Even on moving days they arent showing up. They just hunker down and never leave.

I think that they need to do something to move these ducks off refuges once in awhile. Even on moving days they arent showing up. They just hunker down and never leave.
I somewhat agree. But I have seen them move. The problem is that they move to private farms that leave a ton of standing corn. I’ve had a front row seat watching Fincher farm fill up, and in Halls watching the private farms with food mow down Lake Lauderdale ducks.

I had a spot 10 years ago just north of the million dollar field. We used to kill 500-600. Last year I had it we barely killed 100 with standing corn in the field. All the ducks were going to Million dollar field everyday. They only started using our field the last week of the season when all their food was gone.

Heard a DU podcast yesterday with a Canadian biologist. They was talking about hatch numbers and the water situation in the nesting grounds. He said on a scale of 1 to 10 that it's under a 2.

Heard a DU podcast yesterday with a Canadian biologist. They was talking about hatch numbers and the water situation in the nesting grounds. He said on a scale of 1 to 10 that it's under a 2.
Yep it's bad

I'm ready for 2 or 3 back to back 30 day seasons to weed out the Havoc duck boat idiots & the big money guys that are farming for ducks

Reactions: VolNExile
I've never been through a conservative season but it would probably help. Same dudes say that hunting only accounts for like 1% death of ducks though. 30 day season would get some folks out of the game and open some spots for hardcore hunters with less means

I dont really think shortening the season will result in less hunters at all. Duck numbers are definitely in decline though.

Never duck hunted, always wanted too. But not if numbers are in decline.

Arent ducks and geese Federally managed? Seems as migratory birds it would be incumbent on USFWS to manage them properly.

VN Store

Back