Is that Aaron Beasley next to Bailey???

There are too many here who want to claim that folks like me do not "care" about what he did or do not think it is a really bad thing (if true as described by the rumors). I do. But based on the info we have, I think he should get a chance to redeem himself and stay on the team.

I think the disconnect between the two sides in here is the "path" for his redemption. I think a number of us feel that, assuming the claims are true, he should not be playing football for Tennessee. Playing for Tennessee is a privilege, and if he did beat that animal to the extent claimed then we think that privilege should be rescinded. No one's saying he should be shunned or excommunicated from society, or that they want his life to be over. I imagine everyone here believes that people are allowed to make mistakes and learn from them. But playing sports for Tennessee isn't a requirement for his redemption. Again, it's a privilege. His life won't be ruined if he can't play for the Vols. And if someone's life would be ruined because they can't play football, then maybe don't beat animals.

And of course, as has been said repeatedly, if he didn't do it then good. I would love to find out that it was overstated by the ex but we don't have any proof. Nor do we have any counter-claims. And really, we likely will never hear about it again. So all we have to go on are the claims. Anyway.

Last edited:
It's a frigging cat. Thousands of children die weekly from disease and starvation in third world countries and some of you care more about an invasive animal that kills millions of reptiles and songbirds annually.

Reactions: CSVol
A guy I grew up with who tortured cats is a MD.
Dogs are a gift from God. Cats are of the devil!
I have 3 cats and a dog. My cats are more effectionate than my dog. I have met some mean cats in my life but I've also met some mean dogs. Are you saying its okay to torture cats because you don't like them?

FTR, I love animals generally and dogs and cats specifically. A few years back our dog died of anti-freeze poisoning. She was probably killed by a 16 year old kid angry because we reported him for bullying our 12 year old. I'm not a particularly emotional person... and I still get stirred up when I think about it.

I'm not dismissing what he did. But the punishment should fit the crime and this is NOT the heinous crime against all that's good some are trying to portray it as.

You seem to be drawing a parallel between animals which are bred for slaughter, followed by human consumption, with animals that have been domesticated to keep as pets. Of course, there will be more compassion shown for a kitten, then there will be for a chicken on a farm. One serves the purpose of human companionship, while the other serves the purpose of human food production. Their functions and the purpose of their breeding are not equivalent with each other in the lives of humans.

A damned animal is an animal. Saying anything different is silly and simply people rationalizing irrational behavior.

A hunting dogs worth is no more than that of its prey. Killing a dog, cat or freaking ferret is zero difference between killing a horse, cow, pig or chicken. This coming from someone who has owned each of the above.

If you had a cow in your backyard that you fed carrots and interacted with every day, you wouldn't want to kill it anymore than you would the kitten on your lap.

You also wouldnt wsnt anyone abusing it or your pretty little kitten.

Just becasue so many in our society has decuded their damned digs and cats are equal to their children....doesnt make it true. It makes it sad, confused and pathetic.

Because previously when I had this discussion with SJT he went into this whole deal about this very nice woman in his neighborhood that used to go and do the neighborhood a service and get rid of feral cats by drowning them in the river of something. I really didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole with him today.

Domesticated or feral...at the end of the day theie livea are equal. Pretending otherwise is weak rationalization.

A damned animal is an animal. Saying anything different is silly and simply people rationalizing irrational behavior.

A hunting dogs worth is no more than that of its prey. Killing a dog, cat or freaking ferret is zero difference between killing a horse, cow, pig or chicken. This coming from someone who has owned each of the above.

If you had a cow in your backyard that you fed carrots and interacted with every day, you wouldn't want to kill it anymore than you would the kitten on your lap.

You also wouldnt wsnt anyone abusing it or your pretty little kitten.

Just becasue so many in our society has decuded their damned digs and cats are equal to their children....doesnt make it true. It makes it sad, confused and pathetic.
That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

However, the laws in this country draw a very clear distinction between domesticated pets and farm animals. The killing of a domesticated animal, could come with legal consequences. The killing of farm animals for the purpose of food production and human consumption is not considered the same thing in the eyes of the law.

Also, there is nothing "irrational" about killing a turkey, and eating it for Thanksgiving. It's an act of sustenance, basic to human survival.

Last edited:
That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

However, the laws in this country draw a very clear distinction between domesticated pets and farm animals. The killing of a domesticated animal, could come with legal consequences. The killing of farm animals for the purpose of food production and human consumption is not considered the same thing in the eyes of the law.

Also, there is nothing "irrational" about killing a turkey, and eating it for Thanksgiving. It's an act of sustenance, basic to human survival.

The fact that a distinction is made in law books does not make something rational. I dont wanna but can find current laws that are at minimum irrational.

Agree that killing a turkey isnt irrational. What is irrational is pretending a parakeet's life has more value than a turkey's life. Or pretending that your housecat's life has more value than a bobcat's life.

A bird is a bird. A feline is a feline. An animal is an animal.

The fact that a distinction is made in law books does not make something rational. I dont wanna but can find current laws that are at minimum irrational.

Agree that killing a turkey isnt irrational. What is irrational is pretending a parakeet's life has more value than a turkey's life. Or pretending that your housecat's life has more value than a bobcat's life.

Fun facts.

A housecat shares about 96% of its DNA with a tiger.

A human shares about 98% is its DNA with a bonobo monkey.

If an animal is an animal...... uh......

Fun facts.

A housecat shares about 96% of its DNA with a tiger.

A human shares about 98% is its DNA with a bonobo monkey.

If an animal is an animal...... uh......
Uh... no. Those claims are "true" only to the extent you accept heavily parsed and manipulated data.

And still... only one of those creatures is self-aware, has a conscience, and has intrinsic worth.

As I previously said in a post you replied to, you are entitled to hold this perspective and to express those opinions, but that is all they are - your opinions. My opinion is that there is a fundamental difference between the life of an animal which was bred for slaughter and human consumption, and the life of an animal who was bred for the purpose of being a household pet and providing companionship to humans. There is nothing irrational in that opinion.

Last edited:
If i need to explain comciousness and self to you we will need a new forum.

When monkeys can write poetry call me.
When humans can brachiate, call me.

Valuing poetry over brachiation in the wild is stupid.

Humanity ONLY has the upper hand in the wilderness when well shod (we have zero natural foot padding) and clothed (we are worthless in the elements au natural) so it is only what you emphasize which means "superior."

Without our society provided shoes and clothes, most of us perish...... and brutally..... in the wild.

Reactions: Rylee_Vol18
One thing humans can do that mere animals can't do is communicate using symbols to exchange ideas that can be learned and understood.

One thing humans can do that mere animals can't do is communicate using symbols to exchange ideas that can be learned and understood.
Good point! One application of this ability is to engage in endless arguments with other humans in discussion forums. Biologists continue to struggle to understand the evolutionary benefit of this ability.

When humans can brachiate, call me.

Valuing poetry over brachiation in the wild is stupid.

Humanity ONLY has the upper hand in the wilderness when well shod (we have zero natural foot padding) and clothed (we are worthless in the elements au natural) so it is only what you emphasize which means "superior."

Without our society provided shoes and clothes, most of us perish...... and brutally..... in the wild.
Maybe you would, I would be just fine.

I know you do. We’ve been over it . You’re not changing my mind on the subject no matter how you try to justify it through the relevance of life. Not saying he should go to jail, I just don’t want him representing our school on our football team.
Great avi, even better take. Go Vols

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back