Vitello Getting Paid

Not picking on you, but this brings up a good discussion.

It is interesting that fans show little accountability when it comes to the negative things that happen, but when the administration makes a good decision, it is because of the voice of the fans that is apparently on mute to recruits and current players and has zero impact on their decision making even though they and coaches have directly pointed to our fan misbehavior in the past.

Sure, Danny White probably knows what the fans want, but I don’t think the fans deserve the credit here. Danny White, the guy who actually has experience as an AD and college athletics and that is close to the situation is the guy that deserves the credit if we do retain Vitello.

Very smart move by White. This “leak” takes the pressure off himself and Plowman. Seems like a CYA brilliant move honestly

Reactions: GlennTenn
I told you UT was ready to play big boy ball. Donors have stepped up big, ready to upgrade facility. Danny isn't tone deaf like Currie.

One thing you cannot say about Currie is that he was tone deaf. The football search was a debacle but I believe there were other forces at play behind the scenes. When he was charged with hiring a new baseball coach, the first thing he did was sit down and talk to every player on the team individually. Some for multiple hours. He asked them what they wanted in a coach and was told a young guy who was good with recruiting and had SEC experience. That’s exactly what he delivered in CTV.

He also listened when the tennis team came to him and said they needed a new coach and 100% were in agreement that Woodruff should be the guy. This year they finished 3rd in the country with a doubles national championship.

When the fans came to him and said “bring back the Lady Vols” that’s exactly what he did. While Currie had faults, tone deaf certainly wasn’t one of them.

One thing you cannot say about Currie is that he was tone deaf. The football search was a debacle but I believe there were other forces at play behind the scenes. When he was charged with hiring a new baseball coach, the first thing he did was sit down and talk to every player on the team individually. Some for multiple hours. He asked them what they wanted in a coach and was told a young guy who was good with recruiting and had SEC experience. That’s exactly what he delivered in CTV.

He also listened when the tennis team came to him and said they needed a new coach and 100% were in agreement that Woodruff should be the guy. This year they finished 3rd in the country with a doubles national championship.

When the fans came to him and said “bring back the Lady Vols” that’s exactly what he did. While Currie had faults, tone deaf certainly wasn’t one of them.

Agreed. I’m not certain the Schiano thing was really his decision in the first place. The health of spring sports is in large part due to the work he did. There were a lot of good things about Currie, it’s just the football debacle seems to have overshadowed all of them.

Tony will have signed the dotted line and the TN Baseball Twitter account will have tweeted it out and you’ll still be saying TV is leaving here lol.

you can read what you want to read but this report is nothing more than what Chris Burke has already told us.

Tennessee is at a turning point, preparing to make a sizable financial commitment to its coaching staff and facilities to sustain the program’s

When a report comes, like Texas Tech, that TV has agreed to a new deal then I’ll believe that makes this final. At this point all this report is saying is the ball is in TVs court

you can read what you want to read but this report is nothing more than what Chris Burke has already told us.

Tennessee is at a turning point, preparing to make a sizable financial commitment to its coaching staff and facilities to sustain the program’s

When a report comes, like Texas Tech, that TV has agreed to a new deal then I’ll believe that makes this final. At this point all this report is saying is the ball is in TVs court

I’m just saying, would it hurt to look at things in a positive light every now and then rather than under this intense microscope of skepticism and negativity? You’d be surprised how liberating it can feel.

It was for his biggest hire.

I’m just saying, would it hurt to look at things in a positive light every now and then rather than under this intense microscope of skepticism and negativity? You’d be surprised how liberating it can feel.

Bruin reminds me of my father-in-law, who's an old retired attorney. My father-in-law tends to look at the world through a “glass half empty” lens, focussing on problems rather than on what’s working well, he tends toward the suspicious and assumes the worst. He wonders what another person’s “real” motive might be for any action that person takes.

However, considering the nature of what he (lawyer) does for a living, these are quite functional thoughts and make a lot of sense.

I have no problem with my father-in-law, even though we disagree on several fronts, he often makes me think about why I believe the things I do.......he's often right and so am I, even though we approach it from two different sides.

Bruin, are you an attorney?

FYI, this is intended to be a "complementary" post, so don't take it any other way.....

Reactions: feathersax and txbo

I mean I am going to read it for what it is. That seems much more productive that reading what we want to happen to next

Besides I did read it in na positive light. Our administration has shown that making the fans know they are heard is important AND they have firmly put the pressure on TV. At this point if TV leaves he would be Scene by many as a villain. That is a genius move by White and company because they know TV enjoys the love of this fan base

Bruin reminds me of my father-in-law, who's an old retired attorney. My father-in-law tends to look at the world through a “glass half empty” lens, focussing on problems rather than on what’s working well, he tends toward the suspicious and assumes the worst. He wonders what another person’s “real” motive might be for any action that person takes.

However, considering the nature of what he (lawyer) does for a living, these are quite functional thoughts and make a lot of sense.

I have no problem with my father-in-law, even though we disagree on several fronts, he often makes me think about why I believe the things I do.......he's often right and so am I, even though we approach it from two different sides.

Bruin, are you an attorney?

FYI, this is intended to be a "complementary" post, so don't take it any other way.....

Lol
nope but many have said I missed my mark

Last edited:
I mean I am going to read it for what it is. That seems much more productive that reading what we want to happen to next

Besides I did read it in na positive light. Our administration has shown that making the fans know they are heard is important AND they have firmly put the pressure on TV. At this point if TV leaves he would be Scene by many as a villain. That is a genius move by White and company because they know TV enjoys the love of this fan base

I don’t see it this way at all.

Reactions: feathersax
I told you UT was ready to play big boy ball. Donors have stepped up big, ready to upgrade facility. Danny isn't tone deaf like Currie.

In all fairness, Currie did hire Vitello. He wasnt here long enough to get tone death. He wasnt my choice in the first place.

I asked him why he had to be so endlessly negative all the time in another thread. He doesn't view anything he says as negative.

it was late
I’m tired
And all us white guys like alike anyway
I liked Hart
Currie wasn’t here long enough for me to remember except for the coaching debacle
the Lady Vol moniker and logo needed to go, even in basketball eventually

i concur fryeguy. the women of today at least most are not amused w/ being branded "ladies." it's antiquated and sexist.

and on that note, remember us yelling, "come on baby!" "kick them daisy's!" at the ut dugout? lol. circa '95

So can we officially move on from the "AD / President / Chancellor / Administration is too cheap and/or doesn't care about athletics" rants if Vitello does get a lucrative contract?

Lol
nope but many have said I missed my mark

Seems that is a common occurrence after reading your posts over the years…

I kid, I kid, but man, you left yourself open for a haymaker right there.

VN Store

Back