Blue Bloods?

I guess there can be current blue bloods and all-time blue bloods. The shine has certainly come off of IU and UCLA.

Arizona, Georgetown, Nova, tOSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Houston, Florida, UNLV, LSU, Arkansas, NC State, Syracuse, and a few others have taken their shots but came up short. I wonder if UNC and Duke fall off like IU and UCLA. Kentucky has remained there across multiple eras. Kansas as well. Gonzaga has a shot at joining but is missing opportunities to win nattys.

I get the point on UCLA, but I’d love for the “shine” to come off TN basketball when the program’s made 4 Final Four appearances over the course of 15 years with 3 of them being back-to-back-to-back years.

3 Final Fours and a title in the 00's, Final Four again this year. They've been to a Final Four in every decade since the 60s.

If this is about UCLA, they didn't win a title amid the '00s Final Four appearances, but they do have the 1995 title. That and the Howland run are about it since Wooden

I get the point on UCLA, but I’d love for the “shine” to come off TN basketball when the program’s made 4 Final Four appearances over the course of 15 years with 3 of them being back-to-back-to-back years.

The discussion is about blue bloods. TN basketball is not a blue blood. However they did outbid one for CRB’s services.

Yet, even with the shine off UCLA was able to make another Final Four after being snubbed by the great Rick Barnes. Miracles never cease 😂

Blue bloods tend to make Final Fours. They shouldn’t lose bidding wars to lower tier programs.

Your RBDS is extreme. Show us on the doll where you think he touched you.

Reactions: walkenvol
The 2nd NCAA Championship Game that I can remember watching was 1980 and I was 9, Louisville beat UCLA. Denny Crum and Larry Brown were the coaches and Rocket Rod Foster was my favorite player for UCLA, iIrc. Anyway, UCLA is considered a Blue Blood, imo. Louisville, a light blue blood.

Blue blood means you are college basketball royalty and hiring the right coach makes you a dynasty contender. Even average coaches can win decently at a blue blood. UCLA is definitely in that category.

I already mentioned IU. They are a lock for the next 5. Most likely #6 after the 5 blue Jersey blue bloods. Might be a good argument to be #5 over KU.

Kansas is way more of a blue blood than either Indiana or UCLA. IIRC, they only have 3 titles but are near the very top in Final Fours and are #1 in wins.

To me, Kansas has a better argument to be inside the top 3 than outside of the top 5

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
Kansas is way more of a blue blood than either Indiana or UCLA. IIRC, they only have 3 titles but are near the very top in Final Fours and are #1 in wins.

To me, Kansas has a better argument to be inside the top 3 than outside of the top 5

Kansas has played a long time and in not so great conferences. UCLA has 11 NCs. IU has 5 in 4 different decades. No way KU is way more of a blue blood than those 2. Many of KU’s Final Fours were in tiny fields and they only needed to make it to the 2nd weekend after bulldozing through their weak conference.

Kansas has fewer NCAAT wins than UK, UNC, and Duke and UCLA has almost caught them for 4th.

Last edited:
Kansas has played a long time and in not so great conferences. UCLA has 11 NCs. IU has 5 in 4 different decades. No way KU is way more of a blue blood than those 2. Many of KU’s Final Fours were in tiny fields and they only needed to make it to the 2nd weekend after bulldozing through their weak conference.

Kansas has fewer NCAAT wins than UK, UNC, and Duke and UCLA has almost caught them for 4th.

Kansas is far ahead of Indiana by every single measure except titles. They have 15 Final Fours to IU’s 8, and something like 500 more wins. Same would be true for UCLA if they didn’t openly cheat for a couple decades.

You can say “no way” all you want, but it’s still wrong. The blue bloods are UK, UNC, Duke and Kansas probably in that order. There’s a gap after them, then UCLA if you don’t care that all of their success was 50 years ago and probably the dirtiest in the history of CBB, then Indiana/Louisville/Michigan State/whoever else hoping for a seat at the table.

Kansas is far ahead of Indiana by every single measure except titles. They have 15 Final Fours to IU’s 8, and something like 500 more wins. Same would be true for UCLA if they didn’t openly cheat for a couple decades.

You can say “no way” all you want, but it’s still wrong. The blue bloods are UK, UNC, Duke and Kansas probably in that order. There’s a gap after them, then UCLA if you don’t care that all of their success was 50 years ago and probably the dirtiest in the history of CBB, then Indiana/Louisville/Michigan State/whoever else hoping for a seat at the table.

KU’s final fours were far easier to advance to when playing for decades versus below average competition in their conferences. IU had to deal with tOSU, UM, UW, PU, Iowa, Illinois, and Michigan State every year and still managed to come away with almost twice as many NCs as KU.

Larry Brown, Roy Williams, and Bill Self haven’t been cheating for the last 40 years? Comical.

KU’s final fours were far easier to advance to when playing for decades versus below average competition in their conferences. IU had to deal with tOSU, UM, UW, PU, Iowa, Illinois, and Michigan State every year and still managed to come away with almost twice as many NCs as KU.

Larry Brown, Roy Williams, and Bill Self haven’t been cheating for the last 40 years? Comical.

Someone should (and I will later) list out the total wins, Final Fours and titles for all of these schools and we can watch Indiana be a distant 5th in everything but titles. These schools all have like 15+ Final Fours and 2000+ wins and Indiana has 8, and you’re out here with “but the conference!!”

You seem higher on Indiana than most of their own fans. Eamonn Brennan’s article about Coach K leaving Duke poses the question of whether, in a worst-case scenario, they become Indiana I.e. at its best by far under one coach and somewhat irrelevant since.

Kansas doesn’t have HS All-Americans stay and sit the bench rather than transferring because they’re getting free cars. What UCLA and Sam Gilbert did wasn’t an “everyone cheats” type of situation.

Brown, Williams, and Self are in the Cheater’s Hall of Fame. KU’s head ball coaches since the 1980s.

You can post all of the stats you want, but I’ll never agree that KU is “way more of a blue blood than either Indiana or UCLA” as you have declared. 11 and 5 NCs say plenty.

Brown, Williams, and Self are in the Cheater’s Hall of Fame. KU’s head ball coaches since the 1980s.

You can post all of the stats you want, but I’ll never agree that KU is “way more of a blue blood than either Indiana or UCLA” as you have declared. 11 and 5 NCs say plenty.

Doesn’t change a thing I said. UCLA’s cheating was the deepest and most blatant in CBB history and it’s not close. Wooden spent his first decade getting spanked by Pete Newell at Cal until Papa G started buying him players.

You don’t have to agree, but I would say IU is consensus last. You’ve said nothing beyond NCs and Indiana is well on its way to becoming the Nebraska of CBB.

Last edited:
Doesn’t change a thing I said. UCLA’s cheating was the deepest and most blatant in CBB history and it’s not close. Wooden spent his first decade getting spanked by Pete Newell at Cal until Papa G started buying him players.

You don’t have to agree, but I would say IU is consensus last. You’ve said nothing beyond NCs and Indiana is well on its way to becoming the Nebraska of CBB.

Funny you say that UCLA cheats which qualifies their blue bloodedness but KU’s blatant cheating isn’t relevant.

VN Store

Back