2022 Recruits

Watkins' freshman season would be loaded: for 2022-23 the Gamecocks would have Boston & Amihere as seniors, Cardoso as a junior, and Feagin as a sophomore. That's at the 5 and 4 positions, and that's not necessarily overloaded. At the 3 they would have Beal as a senior, and Hall as a sophomore. Russell (junior) could also play some 3, and Feagin might as well, but most likely more 4 and 5.

So basically a two-deep at the 3, 4, and 5. Then for Watkins' sophomore season (2023-24) Boston, Amihere, and Beal are all gone, and SOMEONE else is going to have to be recruited in for those positions to play substantial minutes, if not starter's minutes. Unless Watkins is expecting to be a starter straight out of high school, she should have no problem playing at SC.....

Exactly, she may be good with being someone’s understudy for the first twoish years which would be ok. But i stand by my statement that she could go make an immediate impact on another team and get playing time. She looks like a good player for sure but i wouldn’t be crushed if she didn’t come to TN being from SC. I expect Dawn to defend the SC boarders.

Let’s also be clear i totally expect a few surprises with the TN recruiting classes coming up so good ones we think may not be LVs just might pop up

Now this is true. The thing that was repeated in the new coaches interviews was developing talent here... I don’t know what that means but i think Kellie takes pride in allowing these young ladies to continuing to be LVs but we know Sam at Louisville was not scared to recruit over folk
I don't think that was Sam's doing, that was more of Waltz doing (he learned that from Brenda). She went along with it because it was what he wanted/preferred. She didn't do that with her recruits when she became head coach (I know it is a different level of talent)

Reactions: Lucy
Now this is true. The thing that was repeated in the new coaches interviews was developing talent here... I don’t know what that means but i think Kellie takes pride in allowing these young ladies to continuing to be LVs but we know Sam at Louisville was not scared to recruit over folk
I don't understand the negative connotation of recruiting better and better players. I would never condone pulling a scholarship to give it to another player. But it is in the best interest of every player to have to compete for your time. I have no knowledge but I would be willing to bet that KJH promises every player the opportunity to compete for position and playing time. I also think it is appropriate to have a chat with players who do not possess the skill of incoming players explaining the realities of their situation so as not to build any false expectations. If a player wants to leave after a such a discussion the would do so with the entire support of the Lady Vol community and still be considered a LV4L.

I don't think that was Sam's doing, that was more of Waltz doing (he learned that from Brenda). She went along with it because it was what he wanted/preferred. She didn't do that with her recruits when she became head coach (I know it is a different level of talent)

But she knows how to bring in talent to upgrade and honestly i hope that’s what she does... We all appreciate the effort of some players but if they aren’t cutting it upgrade

I don't understand the negative connotation of recruiting better and better players. I would never condone pulling a scholarship to give it to another player. But it is in the best interest of every player to have to compete for your time. I have no knowledge but I would be willing to bet that KJH promises every player the opportunity to compete for position and playing time. I also think it is appropriate to have a chat with players who do not possess the skill of incoming players explaining the realities of their situation so as not to build any false expectations. If a player wants to leave after a such a discussion the would do so with the entire support of the Lady Vol community and still be considered a LV4L.

See my comment... Because i don’t think i put a negative connotation to recruiting the best players. SEC schools can no longer pull scholarships due to athletic performance. I am fairly young but grew up with old school mentality around me. You have to compete in life for things you want... the college you want, the spouse, the house, the job, etc. So learning to better yourself to position yourself for what you want isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I am also a teacher and we give out grades because no one “can earn a zero”. So yea, I’m over just coddling LOL

I'm glad to see the tone towards "recruiting over players" shifting. I said in a previous post that a coach wouldn't feel the need to recruit over a player if they felt that there was no need to. It should be to the victor goes the spoils, and I'd hate to see elite players passed up on because of some misguided sense of loyalty to underperforming players currently on the roster.

SC did something really bold this offseason by recruiting a player that will basically send the team captain from the starting lineup to the bench. A good captain will accept the challenge and fight to keep their spot and not expect anything be given to them without competition.

Watkins' freshman season would be loaded: for 2022-23 the Gamecocks would have Boston & Amihere as seniors, Cardoso as a junior, and Feagin as a sophomore. That's at the 5 and 4 positions, and that's not necessarily overloaded. At the 3 they would have Beal as a senior, and Hall as a sophomore. Russell (junior) could also play some 3, and Feagin might as well, but most likely more 4 and 5.

So basically a two-deep at the 3, 4, and 5. Then for Watkins' sophomore season (2023-24) Boston, Amihere, and Beal are all gone, and SOMEONE else is going to have to be recruited in for those positions to play substantial minutes, if not starter's minutes. Unless Watkins is expecting to be a starter straight out of high school, she should have no problem playing at SC.....

Watkins won’t play the 3 at SC if she decides on us. She’s a athletic 4/5 and would pair well with Feagin and Cardoso. Sania will probably play the 3 more for us since she’s the better shooter and ball handler.

I'm glad to see the tone towards "recruiting over players" shifting. I said in a previous post that a coach wouldn't feel the need to recruit over a player if they felt that there was no need to. It should be to the victor goes the spoils, and I'd hate to see elite players passed up on because of some misguided sense of loyalty to underperforming players currently on the roster.

SC did something really bold this offseason by recruiting a player that will basically send the team captain from the starting lineup to the bench. A good captain will accept the challenge and fight to keep their spot and not expect anything be given to them without competition.

I agree with you 100% and right now this new staff has it`s work cut out trying to bring in SEC type caliber players.

Reactions: vettefool
Watkins won’t play the 3 at SC if she decides on us. She’s a athletic 4/5 and would pair well with Feagin and Cardoso. Sania will probably play the 3 more for us since she’s the better shooter and ball handler.

I agree she is more of a 4 player, But with her quickness she could play the 3 and can defend also.

Reactions: SCspur
I agree she is more of a 4 player, But with her quickness she could play the 3 and can defend also.

She needs a more consistent shot. I watched her high school squad a lot this year and she was a terror. If she can hit the three more consistently she’s going to be hard to stop. I suspect Dawn would play her at the 5 and let her use her quickness that way. With Feagin or Hall on the Floor she won’t need to play the 3 much if at all.

She needs a more consistent shot. I watched her high school squad a lot this year and she was a terror. If she can hit the three more consistently she’s going to be hard to stop. I suspect Dawn would play her at the 5 and let her use her quickness that way. With Feagin or Hall on the Floor she won’t need to play the 3 much if at all.

Oh yes she needs a more consistent shot to be a 3 on the next level. I have watched her play in SC and she is a beast on the glass and on the low blocks.

Reactions: SCspur
But she knows how to bring in talent to upgrade and honestly i hope that’s what she does... We all appreciate the effort of some players but if they aren’t cutting it upgrade
I agree there will be an upgrade if a player isn't cutting it, I was simply saying that I don't see her "running players off" like other programs do, we will upgrade for sure but the players who choose to stay and not take the hint will more than likely not play.

I agree there will be an upgrade if a player isn't cutting it, I was simply saying that I don't see her "running players off" like other programs do, we will upgrade for sure but the players who choose to stay and not take the hint will more than likely not play.
I think we've seen some upgrades already without running players off. I think there are a few players on the present roster that know their playing time is going to be minimal. Of course any player can get better, but we all know there is not playing time for 14 players especially in SEC play. Every player will be given the opportunity to make the rotation some have to know they won't be in it when SEC play comes around.

See my comment... Because i don’t think i put a negative connotation to recruiting the best players. SEC schools can no longer pull scholarships due to athletic performance. I am fairly young but grew up with old school mentality around me. You have to compete in life for things you want... the college you want, the spouse, the house, the job, etc. So learning to better yourself to position yourself for what you want isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I am also a teacher and we give out grades because no one “can earn a zero”. So yea, I’m over just coddling LOL
Sorry if I read too much into a comment. Agree with you 100%

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
I think we've seen some upgrades already without running players off. I think there are a few players on the present roster that know their playing time is going to be minimal. Of course any player can get better, but we all know there is not playing time for 14 players especially in SEC play. Every player will be given the opportunity to make the rotation some have to know they won't be in it when SEC play comes around.
I agree and to some, just being a Lady Vol and being apart of this program means much more than just basketball. The opportunities provided for them by being apart of this program while in school and beyond might just be enough for some.

We need a post player, a point guard, and a wing to go with Justine in this 2022 class any of the players we have offered will be just fine. Were in on four post players just need one to say yes. Were in on about six different point guards just need one. Were in on about seven wing players just need one. Any of the players we have offered need three along with Justine to give us a top ten class. I don't think well accept anyone out of the top 100 so whether the class becomes two or three or four we have enough returnees and a commit to move on to 2023 if this class doesn't work out as planned or we end up with less players than planned.

We need a post player, a point guard, and a wing to go with Justine in this 2022 class any of the players we have offered will be just fine. Were in on four post players just need one to say yes. Were in on about six different point guards just need one. Were in on about seven wing players just need one. Any of the players we have offered need three along with Justine to give us a top ten class. I don't think well accept anyone out of the top 100 so whether the class becomes two or three or four we have enough returnees and a commit to move on to 2023 if this class doesn't work out as planned or we end up with less players than planned.

Best left on the board was in NJ this weekend 6-4 Tabitha Amanze strong good post moves block shots and cleans the glass. I have posted about her before and hope the new staff offered underrated in my book.

Best left on the board was in NJ this weekend 6-4 Tabitha Amanze strong good post moves block shots and cleans the glass. I have posted about her before and hope the new staff offered underrated in my book.
I have no idea if were recruiting her so if she appears or commits to us will be totally happy because yes I saw some footage of her on youtube and she is a fabulous player. I hope our coaches are contacting or recruiting her she is certainly underrated by Hoopgurlz.

I have no idea if were recruiting her so if she appears or commits to us will be totally happy because yes I saw some footage of her on youtube and she is a fabulous player. I hope our coaches are contacting or recruiting her she is certainly underrated by Hoopgurlz.

She did not play this pass season due to the covid but worked out with former collage player and played in a few show case talent. Is only ranked #36 because she took this pass season off.

Need a pg 5-7 Yonta Vaughn when you get a chance check out some clips on her. Saw her play twice this year underrated. I no we have Miles but to me this young lady is better then Miles. Now to be fair to Miles i only saw her live on TV not in the stands like Vaughn just my opinion.

VN Store

Back