The Official #4 Tennessee @ #15 South Carolina Weekend Thread (Game 1 Thursday @ 7PM) (Game 2 Friday @ 7PM) (Game 3 Saturday @ Noon)

heh don't stop there - OR we won the east because of a VU-Bama rainout. A lot of things came together for our 2021 SEC East Division Championship.
The BaseVols play in a division with 3 teams that have been NCs in the past 10 years and two more teams that have a NC (Ga around 1990 IIRC and Mizzou in 1950)...
E2BqJKlWYAIsyKP

heh don't stop there - OR we won the east because of a VU-Bama rainout. A lot of things came together for our 2021 SEC East Division Championship.
Nah. We won by half a game ....period. They easily could have lost that game.

They were either too stupid to get all their games in or they didn’t want to compete. Both are on them.

Nope not really Vanderbilt has won the East “Championship” 4 times in the last decade and only went to Omaha once (2019 when they won everything) in the 4 trips to Omaha they finished 5th, 7th, 5th, and 1st. Celebrating this is minor title is pointless when real ones are on the horizon. Hoover is fun and great to watch but is also meaningless. Enjoy the postseason it’s a lot harder than you think. One pitching performance by a kid from Tennessee Tech puts teams fighting through the losers bracket and then it’s over in the final game of a Regional. One bad game from your starter in a Super and a walkoff by the “home” team at LNS and the season is done. It’s a nerve racking experience as a fan. Believe me losing to KY in a game where the 3rd strike is missed is much better in the final game of the regular season than a Tournament game.

Reactions: OldTimer
Our SOS seems to be quite a bit lower than the other top teams in the league....how much would it help to schedule a couple P5 midweek games?

Our SOS seems to be quite a bit lower than the other top teams in the league....how much would it help to schedule a couple P5 midweek games?

SOS is only a bit lower because of the odd pandemic scheduling. In 2020, we played in a tough February tournament, the Round Rock Classic. We’ll do so again next year I’m sure.

Nope not really Vanderbilt has won the East “Championship” 4 times in the last decade and only went to Omaha once (2019 when they won everything) in the 4 trips to Omaha they finished 5th, 7th, 5th, and 1st. Celebrating this is minor title is pointless when real ones are on the horizon. Hoover is fun and great to watch but is also meaningless. Enjoy the postseason it’s a lot harder than you think. One pitching performance by a kid from Tennessee Tech puts teams fighting through the losers bracket and then it’s over in the final game of a Regional. One bad game from your starter in a Super and a walkoff by the “home” team at LNS and the season is done. It’s a nerve racking experience as a fan. Believe me losing to KY in a game where the 3rd strike is missed is much better in the final game of the regular season than a Tournament game.
First, congrats on the East title.

You are so right. The best Vandy team in history was criticized for starting Price in game one against Austin Peay. APSU took Vandy to the wall and that ended up costing Vandy the Regional when Michigan took the series to a Monday night game and Vandy ran out of arms, giving up a total luck job homer by a guy who never played a meaningful minute for UM again.

First, congrats on the East title.

You are so right. The best Vandy team in history was criticized for starting Price in game one against Austin Peay. APSU took Vandy to the wall and that ended up costing Vandy the Regional when Michigan took the series to a Monday night game and Vandy ran out of arms, giving up a total luck job homer by a guy who never played a meaningful minute for UM again.
FYi I am a Vanderbilt fan also
2013 team was Vanderbilt’s best team. They lost to Louisville in the Supers.

Good post, I hope a lot of folks don’t jump off the ledge when we are possibly out by Friday…..unless you on the 64 team bubble, you have nothing to play for, just get your guys the normal reps and call it a week and go get healthy for the regional

At that point he had thrown around 80 pitches, was up 5-1 and had given up 5 hits the whole day. You don’t know what you’re talking about.
I think like most fans you get caught up on pitch count. The issue wasn’t pitch count, it was facing the lineup a 4th time. I would have handed it off to the pen to start a clean 8th but for different reasons. All of our starters were on short rest with the Thursday start. The chance to get Tidwell out of the game with a 5-1 lead, 7 inn of 1 run ball, and a moderate pitch count seemed like a golden opportunity heading into postseason play.

Hindsight, what Hunley was able to do in a tough situation should have his confidence at an all time high. Overcoming adversity will be good for Hunley and this team moving into postseason.

Reactions: BigDave and VolnJC
I'm with you guys. As much as I would like to win the SEC championship, I don't think you do it if it takes any chance of burning your arms. If you can win it with giving your normal guys their reps and maybe even throwing someone more than they normally do out of the bullpen. But do not do anything to risk being the best team we can be for the regional. I hope the fans on here don't go crazy if we don't win it all. We cannot risk the arms to win this. If you get in the loser's bracket, you have to give guys reps and move on. Maybe you get lucky and win a game or two with guys who do not normally start or who have not thrown a lot. I cannot imagine trying to figure out how to make this work other than consider Wednesday a mid-week game and thursday be your normal Friday game and go from there.

I had this condescending convo on the web with Vandy fans the first time they made the NCAA tourney and also when they choked a series away against a mediocre Michigan team

Reactions: StarRaider
SOS is only a bit lower because of the odd pandemic scheduling. In 2020, we played in a tough February tournament, the Round Rock Classic. We’ll do so again next year I’m sure.

Many of the teams with a better SOS played few if any OOC games.

The rough 2 weeks that Charlotte, UNCG and Indiana State has harmed Tennessee’s RPI than anything. Notre Dame has reached their limit at #10 because the ACC is a dumpster fire right now

I'm with you guys. As much as I would like to win the SEC championship, I don't think you do it if it takes any chance of burning your arms. If you can win it with giving your normal guys their reps and maybe even throwing someone more than they normally do out of the bullpen. But do not do anything to risk being the best team we can be for the regional. I hope the fans on here don't go crazy if we don't win it all. We cannot risk the arms to win this. If you get in the loser's bracket, you have to give guys reps and move on. Maybe you get lucky and win a game or two with guys who do not normally start or who have not thrown a lot. I cannot imagine trying to figure out how to make this work other than consider Wednesday a mid-week game and thursday be your normal Friday game and go from there.
You can count on some freak outs if we drop a game. People are watching now that don’t give a damn about college baseball. They just want to see their school succeed. It’s one of the things that make UT special. That rabid love comes with it’s nutty side. Laugh at it or ignore it. But it’s coming.

I had this condescending convo on the web with Vandy fans the first time they made the NCAA tourney and also when they choked a series away against a mediocre Michigan team
I wasn’t intending on being condescending I am sorry if it came off like that.
Vanderbilt thought that 2007 team was unbeatable then it took 4 years to reach Omaha, then in 2013 they shattered the SEC record book going 26-3 and looked better than the 2011 team, then 2014 was a rebuilding year that they finished 7th in the SEC and looked horrible in Hoover (UT had them beat in the first game and they got lucky) and just kept winning big game after big game and won it all vs a better Virginia team. Then in 2015 Virginia was a 3 seed and beat the better Vanderbilt team.

Nothing is guaranteed in the NCAA tournament and teams like Coastal Carolina can run the table. A team’s draw is important too. I hope Tennessee fans realize this isn’t football and teams like TN Tech can beat a top 5 National Seed. It’s the hardest Championship to Win in the NCAA.

You guys have broke me from getting on here on game days. Not the regulars but the ones who have gotten on the wagon the last few weeks. Go Vols! You asked mindset and I can sum it up with they have bought into Vitello's mindset of one game at a time. They are not talking about the future just the next game. Son had no clue who is pitching Wednesday. Speculation among fans at the game was that it would be mid-week mindset on Wednesday, then Dallas and weekend guys and no one throwing more than they usually do in a week to be ready for Regionals. They do see the big picture but are not talking about it. This week is Hoover then move on from there. I think if they keep that mindset then everything is ok.
On who they want to play, I don't think they care. Each team in SEC is tough and brings different things to the table. I think it is great that Ark and Vandy are on the opposite side but no cakewalk. I would personally like to see Alabama win. I can promise you no one wants to play us right now. One pitch, one catch, one throw, on hit at a time. We can play with anyone. I do think we need to have a good showing at Hoover to get that higher seed. They have proven that they try to give the higher seeds the better pools but no easy pools in baseball.
@preacherman20 , you are the man!
Keep those boys locked in and focused! Tell them no matter what, Vol nation is proud of them!
Take the fight to Hoover and let’s bro g some hardware to Knoxville baby!!
GO BIG ORANGE!!

I wasn’t intending on being condescending I am sorry if it came off like that.
Vanderbilt thought that 2007 team was unbeatable then it took 4 years to reach Omaha, then in 2013 they shattered the SEC record book going 26-3 and looked better than the 2011 team, then 2014 was a rebuilding year that they finished 7th in the SEC and looked horrible in Hoover (UT had them beat in the first game and they got lucky) and just kept winning big game after big game and won it all vs a better Virginia team. Then in 2015 Virginia was a 3 seed and beat the better Vanderbilt team.

Nothing is guaranteed in the NCAA tournament and teams like Coastal Carolina can run the table. A team’s draw is important too. I hope Tennessee fans realize this isn’t football and teams like TN Tech can beat a top 5 National Seed. It’s the hardest Championship to Win in the NCAA.
You say you’re not trying to be condescending then speak to the board as if nobody has watched college baseball and is incapable of understanding how the game works. You remember those runs to Omaha Vandy was making in 95, 01 and 05? Yeah, me either. 14 years of success doesn’t a blue blood make.

Reactions: volman85

VN Store

Back