The Official #4 Tennessee @ #15 South Carolina Weekend Thread (Game 1 Thursday @ 7PM) (Game 2 Friday @ 7PM) (Game 3 Saturday @ Noon)

My best guess
1) Arkansas
2) Texas
3 Vanderbilt
4) Arizona
5) Tennessee
6) Texas Tech
7) Miss State
8) Notre Dame

I'm with you guys. As much as I would like to win the SEC championship, I don't think you do it if it takes any chance of burning your arms. If you can win it with giving your normal guys their reps and maybe even throwing someone more than they normally do out of the bullpen. But do not do anything to risk being the best team we can be for the regional. I hope the fans on here don't go crazy if we don't win it all. We cannot risk the arms to win this. If you get in the loser's bracket, you have to give guys reps and move on. Maybe you get lucky and win a game or two with guys who do not normally start or who have not thrown a lot. I cannot imagine trying to figure out how to make this work other than consider Wednesday a mid-week game and thursday be your normal Friday game and go from there.

I thought about posting 'Wed. give the start to Gilbert and see if he can give us 9 innings' in blue font. But isn't Wed. the key - win and avoid the loser's bracket? And Sewell and McLaughlin seem able should we need a 4th starter. So why not send out Dallas Wed.?

I thought about posting 'Wed. give the start to Gilbert and see if he can give us 9 innings' in blue font. But isn't Wed. the key - win and avoid the loser's bracket? And Sewell and McLaughlin seem able should we need a 4th starter. So why not send out Dallas Wed.?

because the regional starts the following Friday and 9 days is too much rest for Dallas. Sure, we'd like to win on Wednesday however winning the following Friday is 1000% more important. Purely a guess but look for Heflin to possibly start and Dallas and Tidwell to follow or our Tuesday guy will start......Dallas and Tidwell will be the Friday-Saturday region and potential super regional starters. That's a 1-2 punch!!

Once again, Hoover is only there to set up our regional rotation, nothing more.

Last edited:
because the regional starts the following Friday and 9 days is too much rest for Dallas. Sure, we'd like to win on Wednesday however winning the following Friday is 1000% more important. Purely a guess but look for Heflin to possibly start and Dallas and Tidwell to follow or our Tuesday guy will start......Dallas and Tidwell will be the Friday-Saturday region and potential super regional starters. That's a 1-2 punch!!

Once again, Hoover is only there to set up our regional rotation, nothing more.

I listened to CV's interview with Jayson Swain and Ben McKee this morning, and CV mentioned four guys in the mix for a potential starting pitching rotation this week: Sewell, Heflin, Dallas, and Tidwell. Main emphasis on Heflin / Sewell to begin the week, with Dallas and Tidwell to follow later.

I listened to CV's interview with Jayson Swain and Ben McKee this morning, and CV mentioned four guys in the mix for a potential starting pitching rotation this week: Sewell, Heflin, Dallas, and Tidwell. Main emphasis on Heflin / Sewell to begin the week, with Dallas and Tidwell to follow later.

Sounds about right. If you make it far, you have your best arms for the biggest games, and it keeps them on their standard Fri/Sat rotation. Gives you a chance to show out well in Hoover while also setting up the rotation for the KNOXVILLE regional.

Sounds about right. If you make it far, you have your best arms for the biggest games, and it keeps them on their standard Fri/Sat rotation. Gives you a chance to show out well in Hoover while also setting up the rotation for the KNOXVILLE regional.

KNOXVILLE regional. I still have the widest grin when seeing it. Very excited to have 100% capacity Vol fans in LNS cheering our guys on!

So, if Dallas is our starter on the Friday to start the KNOXVILLE REGIONAL, and Tidwell to follow, then it follows that they would be that in the SEC tourney as well, for the normal six days of rest. However, if we lose Wed and then again on Thursday, we're done and they both get no work and will have two weeks of rest before they pitch again in the regional. Just observing, not complaining.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
So, if Dallas is our starter on the Friday to start the KNOXVILLE REGIONAL, and Tidwell to follow, then it follows that they would be that in the SEC tourney as well, for the normal six days of rest. However, if we lose Wed and then again on Thursday, we're done and they both get no work and will have two weeks of rest before they pitch again in the regional. Just observing, not complaining.

I'm just a casual fan but I think we see Dallas on Thursday. One extra day of rest won't mess him up.

I think Mark, Sewell, or Kirby, and I only put Kirby in there because he did not pitch this past weekend, on Wednesday or a combo of all three with only Mark going for a long time. I think Wednesday will be the typical Tuesday mindset and all will go a few with one going a few more. More pitch count than innings. Keep the pitch count down and go about 35 pitches per pitcher. Thursday will be normal Friday with Dallas and Hunley, then Blade on Friday with normal Kirby and Redmond, and Saturday will be Heflin. If we make it to Sunday then it could be a second midweek mindset maybe with Gilbert or someone else who doesn't normally start. I just don't think you will go very long with Gilbert because we don't need a sore arm from him this part of season.

VN Store

Back